The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Current English Lit student here to answer your questions!

I'd be happy to answer any questions regarding:

entry requirements

module layout

how comfortable and flexible the course is

the counselling and wellbeing department

societies

accommodation

opportunities later in your degree

and possibly any other bits and pieces you'd like me to have a look at!

Hope all is well and that you might consider Cardiff as your prospective university!
Original post by kitty_nyuu
Hey :smile: I'm hoping to come to Cardiff to study English Lit next year and am wondering how many a hours a week you spend in lectures/tutorials or similar a week and what the timetable is like?
Also do you think they'd let me in with a B in English Lit as I'm not sure I am going to make the A!!
Thank you very much :biggrin:

They expect you to do much of your own independent reading, and you have two lectures per module (6 lectures and 3 seminars a week - though this may differ with curriculum changes) This usually means that Mondays and Fridays can be pretty nice and relaxing and you can get plenty of work done surrounding all of this. The workload does get heavier in second and third year, obviously, but first year is really just a means to help you adjust to the change in routine.

And don't worry about the B in English, I just missed out on an A in English Lit in my A-levels and they still accepted my offer.
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Original post by kitty_nyuu
Wow thank you that makes me feel a whole lot better about the entry requirements! :biggrin:
Are the lectures and seminars an hour each? Also I have heard that they post recordings of lectures online for certain courses, is that true for English Lit?
Sorry to bombard you with questions but what accommodation would you recommend? I would like to be able to walk there but I am also wondering what university halls allow guests if you have any idea?
Thank you very much, I really appreciate all of your help :smile:

No problem! The lectures and seminars are an hour each in first year, but then it does amp up over second and third year! And I haven't personally used recordings from lectures very much but ask any of your lecturers at the start of your modules if they would be fine with you recording lectures on your phone or dictaphone. It's definitely come in handy on mornings when my brain just won't take things in.

Accommodation wise, it really depends on how much you want to spend. Talybont South is pretty wonderful size-wise, it has all you need right here, although it is about 15 mins walk to the usual buildings I have seminars and lectures in. Taly South can be a bit loud during Freshers and rugby season, so if you'd rather have the quiet life and a bit more luxury, I'd say go for Taly Court. Taly Gate just seems a bit too much, and too far for me. I don't know very much about Liberty, Victoria or Senghenydd, but Aberconway is super close to the John Percival building (where most seminars are) so you could quite literally just roll out of bed on a morning!

Oh and regarding having guests, one of my flatmates has her best friend come and stay for a couple/few nights every so often so it's definitely fine here in Taly!

If you give me a rough idea of what you'd be happy with/looking for with accommodation, I'd be able to make a better recommendation for you!
Talybont South and Court are much closer than Taly North and Gate to the university buildings, and all are ensuite, but South and Court have pretty decent size and layout - it's a bit more like a wetroom than bathroom, but as a student, all you really need is a sink, shower and toilet with enough room to move about with room to spare.

Taly North is cheaper, but not comfortable and quite small and you might find it feels a bit prison-like (not really, but you get that sort of small regimented feeling about it). South and Court I'd say are the perfect combination of value/comfort, with not too far to walk/cycle.

Best of luck, and hope everything goes well!
Reply 4
Original post by shadowofadoubt
I'd be happy to answer any questions regarding:

entry requirements

module layout

how comfortable and flexible the course is

the counselling and wellbeing department

societies

accommodation

opportunities later in your degree

and possibly any other bits and pieces you'd like me to have a look at!

Hope all is well and that you might consider Cardiff as your prospective university!

Hi, I know this was from a year ago, but I was wondering if you'd still be able to tell me a few things. I'm studying at AS level at the moment and am thinking quite a lot about Cardiff to do English Lit.
I'm just curious as to whether the course is as good as it looks on the website, all the modules look interesting and I wanted to know whether they really are and how the lecturers are and things like that,
Also, in comparison to education at lower levels, how stressful is it? I'm finding A levels really stressful and wanted to know whether that's going to continue to degree level or whether it's more enjoyable at uni.

Quick Reply

Latest