The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Is Bristol full of North Londoners?

Looking to start Bristol in September but I've got the impression that it's just full of North londoners, privately educated and hipsters.

to what extent is this true/false?
Bristol, alongside Oxbridge, Durham, Edinburgh, St Andrew's, does have a reputation for attracting 'public school types' but like any university the student body is going to be so wide and varied that people of all backgrounds go there. Furthermore, the entire reason for that reputation is that it is an academically strong and well regarded university.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Original post by Age
Looking to start Bristol in September but I've got the impression that it's just full of North londoners, privately educated and hipsters.

I go to Bristol Uni, Im from East London actually, also know another guy who's from East London, weird how we met up in Bristol actually, when we share so many things in common
Reply 3
Original post by am_blue
I go to Bristol Uni, Im from East London actually, also know another guy who's from East London, weird how we met up in Bristol actually, when we share so many things in common

I mean obviously it won't all be East londoners but have you noticed a bit more North londoners in comparison to other parts of London? Are you in Stoke bishop btw? I'm hoping to go for the new HB or Durdham but been told it's full of "indie North London ex private school type and if they're not from North London they might as well be" tbh, I don't even know if this would be a con against bristol but I just really hope to meet people from different backgrounds at uni
Reply 4
Original post by antisansculotte
Bristol, alongside Oxbridge, Durham, Edinburgh, St Andrew's, does have a reputation for attracting 'public school types' but like any university the student body is going to be so wide and varied that people of all backgrounds go there. Furthermore, the entire reason for that reputation is that it is an academically strong and well regarded university.

Thanks :smile: but could you say the fact that bristol is no longer ranked top 10 nationally suggest that it's academic strength historically is not able to compete with new and developing universities like exeter and uea.
Original post by antisansculotte
Bristol, alongside Oxbridge, Durham, Edinburgh, St Andrew's, does have a reputation for attracting 'public school types'

What about Bath, York, Exeter, Nottingham, Warwick, King's, Imperial, LSE and UCL?
Original post by Raymat
What about Bath, York, Exeter, Nottingham, Warwick, King's, Imperial, LSE and UCL?

Yes, the situation is similar for those universities (out of the ones you've listed I'd say Exeter was the most like that) but the universities I listed generally bear the brunt of the stereotyping.
Reply 7
Chinese more than any other imo
Reply 8
Chinese and Londoners

A few of us common folk/minorities.
Reply 9
Original post by TheBBQ
Chinese and Londoners

A few of us common folk/minorities.

Would you also say like there's this kind of "in and out" group like the academics and the indie druggie type?
Original post by Age

Every Russell Group uni has these.

Although I do wonder what you have against North Londoners and the privately educated. Seems quite snobbish.

Hipsters I can understand. :tongue:
Reply 11
Original post by Age
Would you also say like there's this kind of "in and out" group like the academics and the indie druggie type?

In and out? I'm not sure what you mean by that

A decent amount of drugs go on but mainly at the clubs where it happens anyway.. Although earlier this year people had nos canisters found in their room!
Reply 12
Original post by Birkenhead

Although I do wonder what you have against North Londoners and the privately educated. Seems quite snobbish.

Haha no im from North London and go to a private school that's why. Just quite a lot of people are saying not to go to Bristol if you want to experience life outside of the North London bubble.
Reply 13
Original post by Birkenhead

We don't like it when they feel threatened and upset when they have to stoop down to a common person's level such as living without waitrose and not going sailing. Ya'll can go eat one :hmmm:
Reply 14
Original post by TheBBQ
In and out? I'm not sure what you mean by that

A decent amount of drugs go on but mainly at the clubs where it happens anyway.. Although earlier this year people had nos canisters found in their room!

Like as in the sociable people and then just the quiets in durdham? Like I'm an inbetween sort of person. I would go out like 2/3 times a week but I don't really want to be in a loud hall or anything...but then I don't want to be in durdham where it's really quiet. Also what's the clubbing like? I've heard the SU is quite poor so I'm guessing you just go into the city right
Reply 15
Original post by Age
Like as in the sociable people and then just the quiets in durdham? Like I'm an inbetween sort of person. I would go out like 2/3 times a week but I don't really want to be in a loud hall or anything...but then I don't want to be in durdham where it's really quiet. Also what's the clubbing like? I've heard the SU is quite poor so I'm guessing you just go into the city right

There's everyone really.

Clubbing is okay. If you're from London the prices won't be an issue.

The su got a new bar and it's better! But if you live on campus there's no point going that far for a drink. People just cba because of the location lol
Yeah because everyone in North London is privately educated lmao.
Reply 17
Original post by soanonymous
Yeah because everyone in North London is privately educated lmao.

But tbh I did seperate North London and privately educated with a comma.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything it was just brought up a lot and I'd thought I'd hear opinions from people who go to Bristol. I'm sorry if I caused any offence
Like all Unis, there is the widest range of people possible at Bristol.

Yes, the Rahs from Home Counties Private Schools exist - like they exist at every other RG Uni - but they are a minority, a BIG minority. So leave any pre-conceptions you might have at home.

Bristol is a great big eclectic mix of backgrounds, nationalities, cultures, and life experiences - you certainly wont be short of friends!
Reply 19
Original post by sydneybridge
Like all Unis, there is the widest range of people possible at Bristol.

Yes, the Rahs from Home Counties Private Schools exist - like they exist at every other RG Uni - but they are a minority, a BIG minority. So leave any pre-conceptions you might have at home.

Bristol is a great big eclectic mix of backgrounds, nationalities, cultures, and life experiences - you certainly wont be short of friends!

Thank you! I feel a lot more confident now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending