The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by Disney0702
You could also post a recommendation of the CGP text book for AQA Physics on your first post.

I have that book and I find it extremely useful and I think its best if everyone knows about it :smile:

A2-Level Physics for AQA A: Student Book

Sample Pages

Certainly! Added to both threads just now :smile: Thanks for your help - are you prioritizing PHYA4 over PHYA5 at the minute or vice-versa?
Original post by CD223
Certainly! Added to both threads just now :smile: Thanks for your help - are you prioritizing PHYA4 over PHYA5 at the minute or vice-versa?

For the moment I have to prioritise PHYA5 over PHYA4 because I've got MOCK exams when I come back after Easter :colondollar:

What about you?

How're balancing it between the two Units?
Reply 302
For the moment I have to prioritise PHYA5 over PHYA4 because I've got MOCK exams when I come back after Easter :colondollar:

What about you?

How're balancing it between the two Units?

Oh right! I'm prioritizing PHYA5 too as I also have a mock in that soon.
Reply 303
Does anyone have access to a topic by topic set of questions for this exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Does anyone have access to a topic by topic set of questions for this exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure I sent out a link on this thread last time but here you go.
Reply 305
I'm sure I sent out a link on this thread last time but here you go.

You did - sorry! I should have looked at the website properly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
You did - sorry! I should have looked at the website properly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah it's alright. :smile:

Is that the type of topic by topic questions you were looking for?
Reply 307
Do we need to know the Spectral Class table (ie OBAFGKM and their colour, tempterature and absorbtion lines, respectively) by heart?
Reply 308
Original post by JaySP
Do we need to know the Spectral Class table (ie OBAFGKM and their colour, tempterature and absorbtion lines, respectively) by heart?

Yes, it's in the specification :smile:
Reply 309
Original post by Lau14
Yes, it's in the specification :smile:

Should have checked there first, really. Thank you.
Has anyone been revising / doing Astrophysics? I've been revising it and it just feels like there is so much to take in. After the revision I did yesterday it felt like I had read through and embraced the bible twice over.
Reply 311
Ah it's alright. :smile:

Is that the type of topic by topic questions you were looking for?

Yes - thank you once again! Revision must be making me go mad!

Original post by JaySP

Unfortunately, yes :frown:
That said, my teacher has advised spending more time memorising the bulk of the other sections in the astro course, as it's unlikely they'll ask us to regurgitate the table in the exam. Knowing the colours, a description of how temperatures and abundance of hydrogen changes through the classes is more likely than learning exact figures.

That said, he could be wrong!

Original post by RonanWalters
Has anyone been revising / doing Astrophysics? I've been revising it and it just feels like there is so much to take in. After the revision I did yesterday it felt like I had read through and embraced the bible twice over.

I did a bit this morning - not finished the course so I could only do up to Stefan's Law. :smile:
It seems heavy on content!
Reply 312
Has anyone else began doing past papers yet?
If so, how are you finding them?
Reply 313
Original post by RonanWalters

I am, and I agree there is a lot to take in. How are you with calculations with lenses and standard candles (I am finding these difficult)
Reply 314
Original post by TheRAG
Has anyone else began doing past papers yet?
If so, how are you finding them?

Did one this morning, skipping the bits in astro I haven't been taught yet. It went okay, although I was pretty rusty in most areas! You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 315
Original post by TheRAG
I am, and I agree there is a lot to take in. How are you with calculations with lenses and standard candles (I am finding these difficult)

Can I ask what you mean by standard candles? Don't believe we've covered that...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 316
Original post by CD223
Did one this morning, skipping the bits in astro I haven't been taught yet. It went okay, although I was pretty rusty in most areas! You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did one this afternoon, june 2014 (both parts). Also rusty in too many areas. The mark schemes can be quite tricky:angry:
Reply 317
Original post by TheRAG
Did one this afternoon, june 2014 (both parts). Also rusty in too many areas. The mark schemes can be quite tricky:angry:

They can be! Would you mind sending me the June 2014 paper and mark scheme?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheRAG

So far I haven't found them too bad, but I usually say things like that and then I start to struggle with them. I just feel like all the information / knowledge you need for spectral classes, etc. is massive. Haven't properly done any past papers yet for it, but it takes me ages to read through the revision guide on to make sure I've taken it all. It might be just because I've only been doing it for the past 3-4 days, but it just feels like it's a lot to take in and remember.
Reply 319
Hi. I'm new to the thread. I'm doing A Level maths, physics and chemistry. My usual revision tactic is to do practice questions then just unrelentlessly hit past papers. However, as most of you will have discovered, for PHYA5 there are only 5. How is everyone handling this? Does anyone have a link to some old but relevant AQA PPQ's? Also, I have the Nelson Thornes textbook, and I'm rally pleased with it coupled with the fact that it contains many old but relevant PPQ's.
Furthermore, I saw a few pages back that two people were asking about how you get the A*; you need 80% over AS and A2 overall, with 90% average at A2, so yes, you could've had a B last year, 90%< and get the A*! :biggrin:
Finally, my teacher has yet to start turning points as our optional module? Is this bad??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending