The Student Room Group

why do A-Level Students Look Down on BTEC's?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
That is not always an achievement. Some unis are quite happy to take anyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So getting a degree is useless or?
Can you explain more??
Original post by Sandra1
Can you explain more??

From some unis yes it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gagafacea1
OMG thanks, one less a level to do next year! I'll of course ask them in the open day, but if you and others say that it's okay, then it probably is.

Yh ask them. I know quite a few people who have got in who do 3.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sandra1
Can you explain more??

From some institutions you'd be better off finding a job tbh. In fact, I'd say some unis decrease your prospects.
Original post by physicsmaths
From some unis yes it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Umm interesting...
Oxford and Cambridge are overrated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by realcloud

Posted from TSR Mobile

How? I am guessing you do BTEC. Although i could be wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mate, just because you can't get in doesn't mean you should get butthurt.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asexual Demigod
Yes, it most certainly does make you superior academically if you are capable of attending one of the greatest academic institutions in the world...

Might as well go to the best uni in the world which is obviously not in the UK...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sandra1
Might as well go to the best uni in the world which is obviously not in the UK...

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is no singular 'best' uni in the world. Harvard, Oxford, Cambridge, MIT, Yale and Princeton are all on par.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
There is no singular 'best' uni in the world. Harvard, Oxford, Cambridge, MIT, Yale and Princeton are all on par.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We agree on something finally lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sandra1

Posted from TSR Mobile

All the unis are on one level, oxbridge harvard MIT etc but each one is know for its strengths. Oxford Humanities Cambridge Maths/science Harvard Law etc MIT engineering/science. But im not saying each uni arent amazing at the other subjects. The rankings switch for 1-5 every year. Although the top 5 are pretty much the same per year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
We agree on something finally lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

What? I've been in agreement with you this whole time.
Wow, what a great display of reasoning you provide. Yes, let's just disregard the academic reputation of one of the world's leading institutions simply because there are possibly (very few) better ones. The calibre of research at Cambridge is far superior to most UK universities as far as I'm aware. The university has produced many nobel prize laureates. The standard UCAS entry tariff for students there is the highest in the UK for most courses meaning that, on a general level, the students are more academically gifted. I could go on...

Average UCAS tariff score for Cambridge is 614 which is insane!

the most you can get from 3 A levels or 1 BTEC Extended Diploma is 420!
Wow, what a great display of reasoning you provide. Yes, let's just disregard the academic reputation of one of the world's leading institutions simply because there are possibly (very few) better ones. The calibre of research at Cambridge is far superior to most UK universities as far as I'm aware. The university has produced many nobel prize laureates. The standard UCAS entry tariff for students there is the highest in the UK for most courses meaning that, on a general level, the students are more academically gifted. I could go on...

Thid is what it says on the website
'Affiliates of University of Cambridge have won more Nobel Prizes than those of any other institution'
Newton, Hawking,Darwin to name a few all went there. I think we made our point 👍

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oxford and Cambridge are nothing special. I could apply and get in I have A* Maths an A in further maths A* in Chemistry and A* in Biology along with D*D*D* in business studies. I've done both A levels and a BTEC. I've visited both and found both towns very dull and boring the only reason to go would be that you would be with people who lock themselves in there rooms and study all day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oxford and Cambridge are nothing special. I could apply and get in I have A* Maths an A in further maths A* in Chemistry and A* in Biology along with D*D*D* in business studies. I've done both A levels and a BTEC. I've visited both and found both towns very dull and boring the only reason to go would be that you would be with people who lock themselves in there rooms and study all day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

People get rejected with straight A*s with grades better then yours with near 100% in their subjects. Don't know why you think you will certainly get in. Everyone applying is predicated pretty much 3A*s or more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I call bull**** on your grades..

You were asking about getting into IB from the likes of Sheffield Hallam and Northumbria a few months ago. Don't try to make up **** to prove your point, if you actually had those grades you would be going to much better institutions.

Lying bastard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
People get rejected with straight A*s with grades better then yours with near 100% in their subjects. Don't know why you think you will certainly get in. Everyone applying is predicated pretty much 3A*s or more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

3A*s and D*D*D* which gives me 800+ ucas points minimum. You're jealous.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's bull****ting... Check his post history.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending