The Student Room Group

Cambridge Psychological and Behavioural Sciences (PBS) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nickyr212
Hey again. Some colleges require a school/college essay, so does it have to be about psychology or can it be any written essay in general? I'm asking because my school doesn't offer psychology as a course. What could I send in instead?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I suggest you contact the college you are thinking of applying for and see what they suggest under those circumstances. Alternatively, on the Cambridege Uni website, (I think under the PBS section) it will state the exact entry requirements/procedure for each individual college. So you could perhaps apply for a college that doesn't require an essay to be submitted. Good luck :smile:
Hi guys! Sorry to bother you. I'm a Y11 student and I made my IB choices in February but I can still change them. I really want to study PBS and because the website said Biology and/or Maths, and I didn't want to do HL Biology because my school had already chosen ecology as the option topic, and I love Maths, these were my choices:

HL Maths
HL Physics
HL History

SL English Lit
SL Spanish B
SL Economics

But now the website has changed so that there aren't any "highly desirable" subjects, only "useful preparation", and those subjects are Biology, Chemistry, Maths and a humanity. I don't really like Chemistry that much at the moment because I have a really boring teacher, but I'm in the top science set in my school and predicted A* for the GCSE. (I know about HL Maths, by the way, and I love it and I'm fairly sure I can do it.) So now I'm thinking of changing it to:

HL Maths
HL Chemistry
HL History

SL English
SL Spanish
SL Physics

But the college I want to apply to, Sidney Sussex, hasn't changed its website, which still says Biology and/or Maths. I'd rather study the first set of options than the second, but I really don't want to do Biology and I want to improve my chances of getting in.

Should I change?

Thanks so much.
Rx
Hey there! I think in this case that one option isn't any better than the other. I'm guessing that you'll be choosing the humanity-based papers and not associate yourself with neuroscience/neurobiology or any natural science papers. If that's the case, then you can certainly get away with not doing biology. Having some GCSE knowledge of biology was pretty useful for one of the compulsory papers in the first year, but about half of the students didn't take biology and so the lecturers had to sort of start from scratch. They went at a super fast pace though, so it was up to the students to catch up in their own time. But maths is definitely something that is going to be really useful for statistics. You can't get away from doing statistical analysis when it comes to psychology in general, so as long as you show mathematical knowledge and the ability to analyse experimental data, you needn't worry about biology. Chemistry is not essential and you can choose whatever humanity you think would help you in whatever topic of psychology you're interested in. English Language or History could be useful.

I hope I've helped!
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey there! I think in this case that one option isn't any better than the other. I'm guessing that you'll be choosing the humanity-based papers and not associate yourself with neuroscience/neurobiology or any natural science papers. If that's the case, then you can certainly get away with not doing biology. Having some GCSE knowledge of biology was pretty useful for one of the compulsory papers in the first year, but about half of the students didn't take biology and so the lecturers had to sort of start from scratch. They went at a super fast pace though, so it was up to the students to catch up in their own time. But maths is definitely something that is going to be really useful for statistics. You can't get away from doing statistical analysis when it comes to psychology in general, so as long as you show mathematical knowledge and the ability to analyse experimental data, you needn't worry about biology. Chemistry is not essential and you can choose whatever humanity you think would help you in whatever topic of psychology you're interested in. English Language or History could be useful.

I hope I've helped!

Hi! Thanks so much for replying; that's so useful. I definitely wanted to do some of the humanities papers, but I also wanted to do some of the science ones- maybe not Humans In Biological Perspective, but I really wanted to do Evolution and Behaviour, maybe Language, Communication and Literacy, maybe Computer Science (there's so much I want to do!) and maybe biological anthropology in the second year. Does that mean that if I don't do biology I won't be able to do those papers? Do they ask you to state your preferred papers when you apply, and disadvantage you if you want to do biology-related papers without biology?
Thanks so much for replying- that's so kind of you!

Best,
Rx
Original post by Romula
Hi! Thanks so much for replying; that's so useful. I definitely wanted to do some of the humanities papers, but I also wanted to do some of the science ones- maybe not Humans In Biological Perspective, but I really wanted to do Evolution and Behaviour, maybe Language, Communication and Literacy, maybe Computer Science (there's so much I want to do!) and maybe biological anthropology in the second year. Does that mean that if I don't do biology I won't be able to do those papers? Do they ask you to state your preferred papers when you apply, and disadvantage you if you want to do biology-related papers without biology?
Thanks so much for replying- that's so kind of you!

Best,
Rx

DO NOT TAKE COMPUTER SCIENCE. I can't emphasize this enough. I did it in the first year and it was the death of me. You need to have prior programming experience, which I didn't have. You will be working at the same pace as students who have gone through the interviewing process to get accepted into the computer science course. I still don't know why it's an option now, because it won't be relevant later on, trust me. Programming is a useful skill to have, but you can definitely learn it in your own time. You do not need fast-paced lectures and exams to learn programming. Do NOT take the paper unless you have sufficient experience!

I also did Evolution and Behaviour last year and they expected A level knowledge. I don't think you'll be able to take the paper. Even if your director of studies allowed you to, it's very likely that you'll struggle to understand some of the topics. Bear in mind that the science papers are taken from the Natural Sciences tripos, which is really hard to get into for a reason.

The Language paper was quite unpopular amongst the students. I didn't take it so I have no idea why, but they were unsatisfied with the seemingly 'unhelpful' content.

SocAnth and BioAnth were the most popular papers in the first year - you should definitely consider taking those because they both start from scratch and the topics they cover are interestingly diverse. Many students continued them in second year!

They don't expect you to have decided which papers you want to do, but one of the sections in the questionnaire that they give out before the interview will ask you which topics you're most interested in. I wrote cognitive neuroscience, for example - you can choose whatever domain interests you, as well as whatever books you have read for that topic! This is so that they can ask you questions about the things that you're most interested in, and thus the things you have most knowledge about.
(edited 8 years ago)
DO NOT TAKE COMPUTER SCIENCE. I can't emphasize this enough. I did it in the first year and it was the death of me. You need to have prior programming experience, which I didn't have. You will be working at the same pace as students who have gone through the interviewing process to get accepted into the computer science course. I still don't know why it's an option now, because it won't be relevant later on, trust me. Programming is a useful skill to have, but you can definitely learn it in your own time. You do not need fast-paced lectures and exams to learn programming. Do NOT take the paper unless you have sufficient experience!

I also did Evolution and Behaviour last year and they expected A level knowledge. I don't think you'll be able to take the paper. Even if your director of studies allowed you to, it's very likely that you'll struggle to understand some of the topics. Bear in mind that the science papers are taken from the Natural Sciences tripos, which is really hard to get into for a reason.

The Language paper was quite unpopular amongst the students. I didn't take it so I have no idea why, but they were unsatisfied with the seemingly 'unhelpful' content.

SocAnth and BioAnth were the most popular papers in the first year - you should definitely consider taking those because they both start from scratch and the topics they cover are interestingly diverse. Many students continued them in second year!

They don't expect you to have decided which papers you want to do, but one of the sections in the questionnaire that they give out before the interview will ask you which topics you're most interested in. I wrote cognitive neuroscience, for example - you can choose whatever domain interests you, as well as whatever books you have read for that topic! This is so that they can ask you questions about the things that you're most interested in, and thus the things you have most knowledge about.

Thanks so much for that. I've got a lot to think about now... Thanks!
Original post by Romula
Thanks so much for that. I've got a lot to think about now... Thanks!

You're welcome! Feel free to message me anytime if you have any more questions. :smile:
You're welcome! Feel free to message me anytime if you have any more questions. :smile:

Thanks- I'm sorry, just one thing- would Biology SL be enough? I'm sorry, it's just... I want to do those papers, I do, it's just I want to do Physics and Chemistry, I don't think I would like Biology HL at all (or even for that matter SL)... I don't know. Would it be okay- would you mind listing the papers that were available in your first year, or for the 2014 first years if you know? Thanks so much for all your help... Rx

Oh yes, and one last thing, sorry- do you need biology for biological anthropology?

Thank you so much again- you've been amazing.
Original post by Romula
Thanks- I'm sorry, just one thing- would Biology SL be enough? I'm sorry, it's just... I want to do those papers, I do, it's just I want to do Physics and Chemistry, I don't think I would like Biology HL at all (or even for that matter SL)... I don't know. Would it be okay- would you mind listing the papers that were available in your first year, or for the 2014 first years if you know? Thanks so much for all your help... Rx

I didn't do IB, so I don't know how different the standard level and high level papers are. Evolution and Behaviour is quite specific in what they teach, so you have to have been introduced to the concepts of evolution, natural selection, which requires some knowledge about genetics, and to a bit of ecology as well. The supervisions can be quite tough, but they do teach a lot during the lectures. If you're not a biology sort of person, then E&B is probably not the right paper for you. A lot of topics are about plants and animals - topics related to humans were taught only in the last few weeks.

http://www.pbs.tripos.cam.ac.uk/current/partIpapers
Here is the list of papers in the first year.

http://www.pbs.tripos.cam.ac.uk/Documents/part1_handbook
Here is the handbook explaining briefly about each paper. I don't know whether you have access to it though - some documents are protected with Raven password.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Romula
Oh yes, and one last thing, sorry- do you need biology for biological anthropology?

Thank you so much again- you've been amazing.

From what I've heard, you don't need biology to do that paper - it's borrowed from the HSPS tripos. Like I said, they start completely from scratch. :smile:

(Aww, you're too kind :3 )
(edited 8 years ago)
From what I've heard, you don't need biology to do that paper - it's borrowed from the HSPS tripos. Like I said, they start completely from scratch. :smile:

(Aww, you're too kind :3 )

Thank you so much- THOSE ARE SO USEFUL!!!!! You have been incredibly helpful, I really can't repay you, thank you so much, have a wonderful holiday Rxxx
Original post by Romula
Thank you so much- THOSE ARE SO USEFUL!!!!! You have been incredibly helpful, I really can't repay you, thank you so much, have a wonderful holiday Rxxx

I'm glad I've helped you! Choices like these are really tough.
You too! :smile:
Hello,
My subject combination is fairly weak. Chemistry, Math, English language and AICT at AS level for PBS at Cambridge.
If i take up psychology AS and A2, drop aict and English, and apply post a-level, would my chances improve?
My school is not "the best school" so they only offer economics, accounting, business studies, AICT , AS English Language, biology, chemistry and physics.
I may suffer a lot if i took up biology since I haven't even studied it at IGCSE level.
Which is why i have settled for maths, chemistry and psychology as my main three subjects.

My school only offers English language as an AS subject which is why i might have to drop it and history and English lit aren't available in my school.
I can self-teach psychology as my passion for it will surely help me .
Would it be worth it if I apply for Cambridge this year provided I get 85%+ and if rejected, apply again next year post a level? Will my chances increase with these subjects? I really wanted to apply this year but my weak combination is demotivating me.
Original post by iammichealjackson
Yeh of course. If your really eager i can give you an example commented essay. Some might give marks, although its unusual - and when you start of it would be a bit depressing (everyone's first essay will be in the 3/2:2 area. Some giving differing levels of precision- for example i have rarely had a supervisor comment saying that i have described a study incorrectly- which would happen more at a level. they tend to focus on the bigger picture, and they themselves may have forgotton individual details.

can i see some of those example commented essays too?
Original post by n.safar4
Hello,
My subject combination is fairly weak. Chemistry, Math, English language and AICT at AS level for PBS at Cambridge.
If i take up psychology AS and A2, drop aict and English, and apply post a-level, would my chances improve?
My school is not "the best school" so they only offer economics, accounting, business studies, AICT , AS English Language, biology, chemistry and physics.
I may suffer a lot if i took up biology since I haven't even studied it at IGCSE level.
Which is why i have settled for maths, chemistry and psychology as my main three subjects.

My school only offers English language as an AS subject which is why i might have to drop it and history and English lit aren't available in my school.
I can self-teach psychology as my passion for it will surely help me .
Would it be worth it if I apply for Cambridge this year provided I get 85%+ and if rejected, apply again next year post a level? Will my chances increase with these subjects? I really wanted to apply this year but my weak combination is demotivating me.

Hi there, sorry for the late reply!

Psychology, maths, and chemistry are good options actually! Maths is an important skill to have at A level, so they will definitely appreciate that. Chemistry shows a scientific background, which may interest them as well. It's not strictly necessary for you to have done biology, but they do appreciate scientific background in general.

So I'm confused. Are you trying to decide whether to do AS and A2 level psychology in one year, or whether to take the AS exam in the following school year and then the A2 exam after that?
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi there, sorry for the late reply!

Psychology, maths, and chemistry are good options actually! Maths is an important skill to have at A level, so they will definitely appreciate that. Chemistry shows a scientific background, which may interest them as well. It's not strictly necessary for you to have done biology, but they do appreciate scientific background in general.

So I'm confused. Are you trying to decide whether to do AS and A2 level psychology in one year, or whether to take the AS exam in the following school year and then the A2 exam after that?

I'm trying to decide whether I should continue with A2 English Lanaguage which I'm not sure I will get a good grade in or to do psychology full a level in one year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone, who's thinking of applying to PBS this year? :smile: I am trying to decide between Oxford and Cambridge but the course at Cambridge just seems better given the choice it allows. Does anyone know how much emphasis is put on written work submitted to colleges? I take Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics so my only essays are for Biology and are purely scientific. Also how much effect do the admissions tests at individual colleges have on the overall application? (As not all colleges require them)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jalapeño
Hi everyone, who's thinking of applying to PBS this year? :smile: I am trying to decide between Oxford and Cambridge but the course at Cambridge just seems better given the choice it allows. Does anyone know how much emphasis is put on written work submitted to colleges? I take Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics so my only essays are for Biology and are purely scientific. Also how much effect do the admissions tests at individual colleges have on the overall application? (As not all colleges require them)

Hi there! I've never heard of someone submitting a biology (or generally scientific) essay, so that might be a risky tactic, especially since they expect excellent argumentative abilities. I didn't have any essay-related subjects, which is why I had to choose a college that was interview only.

I have no idea how the admission tests work. Is there anyone on this thread who can help this person out?
Hi there! I've never heard of someone submitting a biology (or generally scientific) essay, so that might be a risky tactic, especially since they expect excellent argumentative abilities. I didn't have any essay-related subjects, which is why I had to choose a college that was interview only.

I have no idea how the admission tests work. Is there anyone on this thread who can help this person out?

Hi, that was definitely my concern as most of the biology essays I've had to write are not of particular interest to me so I would rather not focus the interview on them.
Unfortunately there's not many colleges which are interview only :/ Emmanuel is one and it is one of my favourites but had 63 PBS applicants last year! So I'm more likely to be pooled if I applied to a college like that and then I guess I'll have the same dilemma of submitting written work at another college?

I guess you're a current PBS Student? If so how do you find the course? :smile:
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest