The Student Room Group

why do A-Level Students Look Down on BTEC's?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sandra1
Just to add on normally one unit has four assignments in total soo for one btec its 72 assignments!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh really?? That's awful... So when you think about it BTECs are 4 TIMES HARDER than A levels. Boy oh boy, I'm so glad I've dodged a bullet not doing a BTEC.
Original post by BioStudentx
I look down on Access courses, BTEC courses and "apprentiships". Do you feel better now?

Why is tht apprenticeships you learn and earn while you work and become fully qualified. Btec courses such as Engineering and IT and favoured all universities yes even Oxford and Cambridge. For Electronic Engineering you have units tht teach about AS maths and Further Maths, logic gates and microcontrollers, Kirchoffs law, and there are so many practicals where breadboarding, building and testing a circuit is a nessescary thing. All of which I checked be covered in actual engineering courses

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Michael_98
Why is tht apprenticeships you learn and earn while you work and become fully qualified. Btec courses such as Engineering and IT and favoured all universities yes even Oxford and Cambridge. For Electronic Engineering you have units tht teach about AS maths and Further Maths, logic gates and microcontrollers, Kirchoffs law, and there are so many practicals where breadboarding, building and testing a circuit is a nessescary thing. All of which I checked be covered in actual engineering courses

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol oxford and Cambridge. Please don't embarrass them. Just BTEC has content it does not mean it is on the same level. A levels have questions which test understanding and application whereas BTEC have coursework where you simply write about a certain area which can be easily researched.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yt7777
Standard 3 A levels = up to 18 exams/coursework pieces (6 each)
1 BTEC Extended Diploma = 18 units

Its the same amount of work covered in the same depth, try taking Computing A level and BTEC Computing you'll quickly see that they are same except the BTEC covers a lot more

But BTEC is not even recognised as 1 A-Level by any educational institutions, let alone 3.
Original post by Sandra1
Just to add on normally one unit has four assignments in total soo for one btec its 72 assignments!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well yeah but different assignments have different amounts of criterion, I had some units with over 6 assignments but all units amount to a similar amount of criterion

I don't think people actually realise how much work it is
Original post by XxSophie01xX
But BTEC is not even recognised as 1 A-Level by any educational institutions, let alone 3.

A BTEC Extended is equivalent to 3 A levels that's a fact

Also I got into all 5 of my university choices with my BTEC alone, all of which were good unis and Im just coming to the end of my first year at Royal Holloway and have got firsts and 2:1's in pretty much everything, all the work has been pretty similar to work I did on my BTEC aswell

You are quite mis informed check some university entry requirements, 95% of UK universities accept BTEC
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by T1MMY
Btecs are for dumb and stupid people end of, they get to watch films every night while A level students work their ass's off.

I don't think so somehow ???
Original post by BioStudentx
Oh really?? That's awful... So when you think about it BTECs are 4 TIMES HARDER than A levels. Boy oh boy, I'm so glad I've dodged a bullet not doing a BTEC.

LOOOL
Original post by Zenarthra
LOOOL

you didnt reply to me earlier
(edited 9 years ago)
Can't we just all agree that it depends on the A level/ BTEC you're taking? I'm assuming a computer science A level and a Computer science BTEC are both reasonably challenging. The BTEC may be harder in some respects as it obviously covers more content than doing the A level, however some may say the A level is more challenging as you not only have to focus on 3 or more other A levels, whilst doing your computer science A level.

In terms of exams and coursework, I think it's quite debatable to distinguish between which is harder. When I was in school I was definitely not the brightest kid (haha definitely not). I remember getting Cs and Ds in my year 11 mock exams just before the real ones. Just before the real exams, literally a week or 2 before exams, I revised the hell out of most of my subjects so all the info was fresh in my brain and ended up with 3A*s 6As a B and a C. Not the best when it comes to TSR standards but the point I'm trying to make is that exams can sometimes be a test of memory rather than actual ability (note how I said sometimes). Of course at A level, or any level 3 course you would be required to actually understand what you're writing.

I know I sat on the fence a lot LOL but all I'm trying to say is..
Wait what am I trying to say?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yt7777
So are you saying that on my computing BTEC I was able to write hundreds of lines of code and produce algorithms without being able to think logically??

Look, all im saying is. If you are comparing yourself to a top A Level student, he/she would have written that algorithm to solve a problem in half the time you managed it in.
Original post by Michael_98
Btec courses such as Engineering and IT and favoured all universities yes even Oxford and Cambridge.

Sorry, but I think you've been misinformed there. There's a big difference between accept and favour.

Competition for places at Oxford University is extremely strong, and all courses are academic in nature. Even those courses with titles which might suggest a more vocational style of learning (eg Engineering Science, Law, Medicine, and Economics and Management) are strongly academic in their focus. Academic qualifications such as A-levels, the International Baccalaureate or any other academic equivalent are therefore strongly recommended as the best preparation for any course of study at Oxford.

Further info here: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/entrance-requirements/vocational-and-other-qualifications
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Michael_Real
Can't we just all agree that it depends on the A level/ BTEC you're taking? I'm assuming a computer science A level and a Computer science BTEC are both reasonably challenging. The BTEC may be harder in some respects as it obviously covers more content than doing the A level, however some may say the A level is more challenging as you not only have to focus on 3 or more other A levels, whilst doing your computer science A level.

In terms of exams and coursework, I think it's quite debatable to distinguish between which is harder. When I was in school I was definitely not the brightest kid (haha definitely not). I remember getting Cs and Ds in my year 11 mock exams just before the real ones. Just before the real exams, literally a week or 2 before exams, I revised the hell out of most of my subjects so all the info was fresh in my brain and ended up with 3A*s 6As a B and a C. Not the best when it comes to TSR standards but the point I'm trying to make is that exams can sometimes be a test of memory rather than actual ability (note how I said sometimes). Of course at A level, or any level 3 course you would be required to actually understand what you're writing.

I know I sat on the fence a lot LOL but all I'm trying to say is..
Wait what am I trying to say?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dunno dude, too long didnt read.
Anyway, im pretty sure the Further Maths modules require you to think very quickly and logically. Rather than only relying upon recalling information.
Original post by XxSophie01xX

Evidently BCU recognizes it.
Look, all im saying is. If you are comparing yourself to a top A Level student, he/she would have written that algorithm to solve a problem in half the time you managed it in.

how do you quantify that? Im a computer science undergraduate and spend most of my time programming which was the same as when i was in college, there is no way you can say that any A level student could do it in half the time, thats a ridiculous statement to make

your point was that A levels teach people how to think logically and BTEC dosent, but the Computing BTEC includes a lot, if not more programming content than a single A level in computing, programming is all logical thinking and being able solve problems algorithmically which the BTEC also teaches you how to do, consider that proved by contradiction :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by yt7777
how do you quantify that? Im a computer science undergraduate and spend most of my time programming which was the same as when i was in college, there is no way you can say that any A level student could do it in half the time, thats a ridiculous statement to make

your point was that A levels teach people how to think logically and BTEC dosent, but the Computing BTEC includes a lot, if not more programming content than a single A level in computing, programming is all logical thinking and being able solve problems algorithmically which the BTEC also teaches you how to do.

Yeah maybe they do teach you how to solve problems algorithmically, but who has greater practice at solving problems?
BTEC or Alevel students?
Yeah maybe they do teach you how to solve problems algorithmically, but who has greater practice at solving problems?
BTEC or Alevel students?

BTEC.

you have to write programs and solve problems practically and in a real world context. also we had to write a lot algorithms in pseudo code which further re-enforces the practice of constructing algorithms
I dunno dude, too long didnt read.
Anyway, im pretty sure the Further Maths modules require you to think very quickly and logically. Rather than only relying upon recalling information.

Well, if you read the first line, which you clearly didn't, I mentioned it depends on the course you take. Obviously some courses are harder than others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yt7777
BTEC.

you have to write programs and solve problems practically and in a real world context. also we had to write a lot algorithms in pseudo code which further re-enforces the practice of constructing algorithms

I wish they would have told me that at the start, then i would have chosen BTEC.
I wish they would have told me that at the start, then i would have chosen BTEC.

do you study Computing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending