The Student Room Group

St George's Medicine Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by atlsme
Man is legit coming in guns blazing destroying lives :biggrin::biggrin:

Lol people need to start being realistic. We are too late in the process and anyone who gets an offer now is really lucky
Im sorry, just been reading this and seeing figures like 90% of offers being handed out thrown about and there is no way of knowing for sure how many offers they are going to give out and it varies on a year by year basis to how many people with offers actually firm them and what their maximum intake for this cohort can be. As for the 100/150+ on the offer holder days, it's very unlikely that every single one of them will firm St Georges and that doesn't take into account whether or not friends/ relatives came along too. Plus, it seems like the waiting list is significantly shorter than last year and they gave out quite a lot of offers in early April and early May last year so all these figures are purely speculation. Think of it like this, if they want to reject you, they would have done so.
Original post by Trypsin
1) They gave offers in May to people on the waiting list. And it was hardly a substantial number of offers they gave out

2) if they don't adjust scores thanks v much George's for making it unfair for some candidates

3) I didn't know they'd increased the year size. Doubt it's true since it nearly means they've doubled their intake of students

4) 300 is way too optimistic. Last year they gave out 190 offers if I remember correctly. Most off the offers have been given out already. So yh it's not slim at all ..

You can be as optimistic as you want but don't be surprised if u get rejected as that's what's likely going to happen. Better prepare now for your gap year

I have the info when i called them up before i applied, they said that they have have 135 seats and will make 275 offers. Its gonna be real tough but a bit of positivity would be nice, since my interview is next week, i would like to be told that i have a chance rather than be told that ill be rejected.
Although i agree what you say cos my interview skills arent too great and will need lots of luck to get an offer from here....when was your interview btw?
Original post by applegeek96
Im sorry, just been reading this and seeing figures like 90% of offers being handed out thrown about and there is no way of knowing for sure how many offers they are going to give out and it varies on a year by year basis to how many people with offers actually firm them and what their maximum intake for this cohort can be. As for the 100/150+ on the offer holder days, it's very unlikely that every single one of them will firm St Georges and that doesn't take into account whether or not friends/ relatives came along too. Plus, it seems like the waiting list is significantly shorter than last year and they gave out quite a lot of offers in early April and early May last year so all these figures are purely speculation. Think of it like this, if they want to reject you, they would have done so.

Not speculation it's an educated estimation based on last years data
Original post by beansontoast92
I have the info when i called them up before i applied, they said that they have have 135 seats and will make 275 offers. Its gonna be real tough but a bit of positivity would be nice, since my interview is next week, i would like to be told that i have a chance rather than be told that ill be rejected.
Although i agree what you say cos my interview skills arent too great and will need lots of luck to get an offer from here....when was your interview btw?

Good luck with you interview. Sorry to put a downer on you. but medicine isn't a positive application process. People often conflate realism with negativity when the two are very different things
Original post by Trypsin
1) They gave offers in May to people on the waiting list. And it was hardly a substantial number of offers they gave out

Just going off TSR, it looked pretty substantial plus not everyone who applied is on TSR, so the data we're all going off is limited
Original post by ryanb97
They gave out offers in May last year.

If they are anything like Bham (who use MMI as well) they don't adjust scores.

There was about 40/50 people max at the open day. They increased the size of the year group to about 175.

Chances are they will give out around 300 offers
Around 500 are interviewed each year
^thats not slim

you've got your figures all wrong. At the offer holder day I went to, there were circa 15 tables of 6 people, so around 80 people.

They give out more than 300 offers, and wayyyyyy more than 500 are interviewed (closer to 1000)
Original post by atlsme
They increased the size to 175?? How?? Do they even have enough rooms for accommodation? I'm not complaining. The more the merrier! :wink:

They reduced the size of the GEM intake
They may reduce the intake from cleaning (from other courses?)

Original post by Trypsin

2) if they don't adjust scores thanks v much George's for making it unfair for some candidates

3) I didn't know they'd increased the year size. Doubt it's true since it nearly means they've doubled their intake of students

4) 300 is way too optimistic. Last year they gave out 190 offers if I remember correctly. Most off the offers have been given out already. So yh it's not slim at all ..

You can be as optimistic as you want but don't be surprised if u get rejected as that's what's likely going to happen. Better prepare now for your gap year

They definitely did for 2014 entry. I wouldn't have applied if it had less than 50% post interview offer rate.

I was quoting last years statistics that I had on an email front hem

Im not waiting, I got an offer about a month ago... I'm just trying to help out (by trying to rid the thread of dodgy statistics that will scare people)
Original post by Phoebe♥
I thought they used pretty much the same questions for every round of mmi?

Posted from TSR Mobile

not true. For each round of interviews, they have 2 sets of question- you may have seen at the top of the sheet at each station, it said whether you were set A or set B. They do 3 rounds of interviews, so there are 6 sets of questions.
Original post by hukdealz
you've got your figures all wrong. At the offer holder day I went to, there were circa 15 tables of 6 people, so around 80 people.

They give out more than 300 offers, and wayyyyyy more than 500 are interviewed (closer to 1000)

Offer holder data correct as it tallies with anecdotal evidence

Offer number tallies with what the post above says

Number interviewed is around 500 - not 1000. Only 1000 people apply to George's which means they interview everyone?
Original post by Trypsin
Good luck with you interview. Sorry to put a downer on you. but medicine isn't a positive application process. People often conflate realism with negativity when the two are very different things

Thanks :smile: i know how difficult it is, this isnt my first time applying......anyway we'll find out soon enough, theres no point going off stats now cos its too late, just hope for the best and if they like you theyll take u!
Original post by ryanb97
They reduced the size of the GEM intake
They may reduce the intake from cleaning (from other courses?)

They definitely did for 2014 entry. I wouldn't have applied if it had less than 50% post interview offer rate.

I was quoting last years statistics that I had on an email front hem

Im not waiting, I got an offer about a month ago... I'm just trying to help out (by trying to rid the thread of dodgy statistics that will scare people)

Statistics are not dodgy they're an educated guess. People need to stop living in la la cookoo land and realise what the situation is
Original post by Trypsin
Offer holder data correct as it tallies with anecdotal evidence

Offer number tallies with what the post above says

Number interviewed is around 500 - not 1000. Only 1000 people apply to George's which means they interview everyone?

I said closer to 1000 than 500, not 1000.

A massive proportion of applicants get interviewed, probably the highest of any med school. That's because everyone who meets their minimum requirement gets an interview.
Original post by Trypsin
Statistics are not dodgy they're an educated guess. People need to stop living in la la cookoo land and realise what the situation is

If it's an educated guess what is it based on?

(Please don't say TSR)
Again for those that have received offers we need more people the current number is only 62 :frown: : https://www.facebook.com/groups/1615724618658011/
Original post by hukdealz
not true. For each round of interviews, they have 2 sets of question- you may have seen at the top of the sheet at each station, it said whether you were set A or set B. They do 3 rounds of interviews, so there are 6 sets of questions.

did you have an interview at sgul?
Original post by Phoebe♥
did you have an interview at sgul?

yep, why?
Who else attended the open day?
I just got an offer!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Saywhatyoumean
I just got an offer!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yay well done!! now join https://www.facebook.com/groups/1615724618658011/

Quick Reply