The Student Room Group

LSE vs King's vs Karolinska in Sweden?

Hello, I got offers for MSc in International Health Policy/Global Health from LSE and Kings in London and from Karolinska in Stockholm. Quite hard to choose because moneywise Sweden is way much cheaper. But the LSE and Kings programs look more interesting (they seem to go way more into details).

So what do you think? What to choose in terms of prestige but also quality of teaching?
Any feedback really appreciated.
It's cheaper in Sweden but everything else is so expensive
I'm currently weighing out my options, thinking of Scandinavia
If you have an offer for a good uni here just go here, you can get more loans/grants if needed and also might find it more interesting and comfortable being in the UK

However as its "international" so and so, it might prove worthwhile going abroad to study it, for the same reason why I would reccomend doing Scandinavian studies in Scandinavia etc

All up to you, just weigh out the pros and the Cons of each, or if you're stuck between 2 flip a coin, you normally pick the one you want to go to most as it flips as you see which side is going down so just go with the uni you say first? To make choosing less boring lol

I don't know, just a few recommendations

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Darab_1496
It's cheaper in Sweden but everything else is so expensive
I'm currently weighing out my options, thinking of Scandinavia
If you have an offer for a good uni here just go here, you can get more loans/grants if needed and also might find it more interesting and comfortable being in the UK

However as its "international" so and so, it might prove worthwhile going abroad to study it, for the same reason why I would reccomend doing Scandinavian studies in Scandinavia etc

All up to you, just weigh out the pros and the Cons of each, or if you're stuck between 2 flip a coin, you normally pick the one you want to go to most as it flips as you see which side is going down so just go with the uni you say first? To make choosing less boring lol

I don't know, just a few recommendations

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your answer Darab. I'm not an UK student, but an EU one. So either Sweden, either London will mean that I'll have to move.
Othewise I don't like fliping coins :smile:
In terms of prestige (not always the best way to choose a uni) LSE has a better reputation than Kings. Where would you rather live - London or Sweden?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Karolinska is probably better known in the health/medicine field, but LSE is well known across more disciplines. I was deciding between LSHTM (similar in that it's also very specialized) and LSE and ended up choosing LSE because I want a broader education with the potential for more opportunities outside of just health care although that's definitely my main interest. I'll be starting the MSc international health policy this fall, so I say LSE :smile: Sweden is probably the best country I've ever visited though, so you really can't go wrong!
Reply 5
Original post by pgc13
Karolinska is probably better known in the health/medicine field, but LSE is well known across more disciplines. I was deciding between LSHTM (similar in that it's also very specialized) and LSE and ended up choosing LSE because I want a broader education with the potential for more opportunities outside of just health care although that's definitely my main interest. I'll be starting the MSc international health policy this fall, so I say LSE :smile: Sweden is probably the best country I've ever visited though, so you really can't go wrong!

:smile: So we'll gonna be colleagues if I'll decide for LSE. Where you'll gonna stay: LSE or intercoll hall?
It seems to me that LSE program is much more on the Econ side, while Karolinska one on the epidemiology side. Even Sweden is such a beautiful country, this kind of stuff (curriculum, prestige, opportunities offered) are more important for my option. Thanks for your answer.
Reply 6
Original post by yabbayabba
In terms of prestige (not always the best way to choose a uni) LSE has a better reputation than Kings. Where would you rather live - London or Sweden?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doesn't matter. I'll traveled all around the world, so location is not a priority. Especially given the fact that London and Stockholm are both quite expensive cities to live in.
Original post by Darab_1496

Don't mean to hijack the OP's thread, I just wanted to ask why you said this? As far as I know there are no Scandinavian universities which offer Scandinavian Studies degrees taught in English - so why would you recommend someone go there to study it?
Reply 8
Forget Kings, it doesnt have a reputation worth paying £10k+ for if you can get the same degree for free elsewhere. Its really just a case of whether you think the LSE networking is worth paying the admission fee (and the answer should probably be yes)
Reply 9
Original post by OliviaParis
:smile: So we'll gonna be colleagues if I'll decide for LSE. Where you'll gonna stay: LSE or intercoll hall?
It seems to me that LSE program is much more on the Econ side, while Karolinska one on the epidemiology side. Even Sweden is such a beautiful country, this kind of stuff (curriculum, prestige, opportunities offered) are more important for my option. Thanks for your answer.

I'm staying at an LSE hall. Hope to see you there! :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending