The Student Room Group

Philosophy AQA new spec

Hi my names Harry and I study Philosophy AQA AS - Level and its a brand new specification. As the new specification is so hard, I was wondering if there are any other people out there in my position and if you could help (that is if you are coping with it).
I'm studying it too! It's horrible, isn't it?! I got an A in a mock on Epistemology, but then a C (66%) in the most recent one. I can help with most of Epistemology, and with about half of Philosophy of Religion, but I don't have clue what to do about Religious Language - all I know is that Flew talked about an absent gardener. :h:
I agree it is hard isn't it, what textbook do you use in class? We use the Michael lacewing one but I am wondering if there are any others

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by tribiasfour
I'm studying it too! It's horrible, isn't it?! I got an A in a mock on Epistemology, but then a C (66%) in the most recent one. I can help with most of Epistemology, and with about half of Philosophy of Religion, but I don't have clue what to do about Religious Language - all I know is that Flew talked about an absent gardener. :h:

I find everything after theories of perception so hard to write about like one of the questions I was given to do over the holidays was 'Knowledge is best described as true belief' discuss [15 marks] and 'All knowledge is innate' discuss [15 marks] but ONLY using Kant, its so hard, I'm so much better at philosophy of religion because it doesnt mess me up or change the way I view the world!! hahahaha
Reply 4
Original post by Zmcconville
I agree it is hard isn't it, what textbook do you use in class? We use the Michael lacewing one but I am wondering if there are any others

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah we had the option of two. We have the AQA AS Philosophy textbook by Jeremy Hayward, Gerald Jones and Daniel Cardinal and as a college we had to decide which was better and we found that this text book was so much more easier to understand and read. I found the Lacewing one quite off putting.
I've typed up all my notes on powerpoint, I've tried to simplify them so they might be helpful, I can upload them if you want?
Please do that would be great
Original post by Zmcconville
Please do that would be great

philoso.pptx
Epistemology.pptx

Had trouble uploading them, tell me if those links don't work. Epistemology isn't quite finished but I've done a lot of it and highlighted on the specimen what I've done. If you don't understand anything I've written just ask, I have a great teacher so I understand most things reasonably well :smile:)
Original post by Harry321
Yeah we had the option of two. We have the AQA AS Philosophy textbook by Jeremy Hayward, Gerald Jones and Daniel Cardinal and as a college we had to decide which was better and we found that this text book was so much more easier to understand and read. I found the Lacewing one quite off putting.

That's so annoying, we didn't have the option, and the Michael Lacewing one is terrible, I can't force the words to go in ahaa. Do you think there would be any point buying the textbook this close to exams?? :smile:
Original post by Harry321
I find everything after theories of perception so hard to write about like one of the questions I was given to do over the holidays was 'Knowledge is best described as true belief' discuss [15 marks] and 'All knowledge is innate' discuss [15 marks] but ONLY using Kant, its so hard, I'm so much better at philosophy of religion because it doesnt mess me up or change the way I view the world!! hahahaha

Only using Kant? That's strange, I hope that doesn't happen in the real exam! My teacher gave us the same first question, and also 'Does God have to exist?', but we could use any philosophers. Ahahaaa, I know what you mean, the first few weeks of epistemology drove me up the wall!
Original post by Fayeelizabeth

Had trouble uploading them, tell me if those links don't work. Epistemology isn't quite finished but I've done a lot of it and highlighted on the specimen what I've done. If you don't understand anything I've written just ask, I have a great teacher so I understand most things reasonably well :smile:)

You are a LIFESAVER, thank you so much! :h:
you could buy it and then just sell it on eBay or something afterwards
Reply 12
Original post by tribiasfour
That's so annoying, we didn't have the option, and the Michael Lacewing one is terrible, I can't force the words to go in ahaa. Do you think there would be any point buying the textbook this close to exams?? :smile:

Id defo recommend it, I just bought two new revision guides for psychology and biology :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Fayeelizabeth
philoso.pptx
Epistemology.pptx

Thank you so much!!!
hello any projections for tomorrows exam or anything that i should really look over before tomorrow ?
Look over the specification before the exam tomorrow and it's there's anything you don't know go over it, exams at 1.30 so there's time :smile:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did everyone find it? I hope it went well for you all! :smile:
hiya, i'm trying to prepare for next year and I'm finding the philosophy of mind topic impossible! I got given the lacewing textbook before going away for the summer holidays and I swear its practically unreadable. I'm thinking of getting the other textbook to help out but its kinda expensive. Has anyone got any tips? I'm trying to stay organised this year... and any help would be really appreciated :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending