The Student Room Group

Dropping out financial advice

Hey guys, I'm thinking about dropping out of uni and I was wondering if anybody would be able to clear the air. I have looked at many threads on this forum and they have all said different things.

If I do not finish my current year and drop out, will I have to pay back all of my maintenance grant?

And if so, if I simply just stop going to uni and fail at the end of the year and leave, will I not have to pay the grant back? It's not that I would want to do this, I just don't have the money to pay back.
Original post by mwatson365
Hey guys, I'm thinking about dropping out of uni and I was wondering if anybody would be able to clear the air. I have looked at many threads on this forum and they have all said different things.

If I do not finish my current year and drop out, will I have to pay back all of my maintenance grant?

And if so, if I simply just stop going to uni and fail at the end of the year and leave, will I not have to pay the grant back? It's not that I would want to do this, I just don't have the money to pay back.

You don't pay it all back, you pay back the portion which was allocated for after you left. If you can't afford to pay it all back now then student finance will calculate a more affordable payment rate. Even if you leave at the end of the academic year you will still need to pay some grant back because its meant to cover summer until September. And the problem with just not attending is that sometimes universities have been known to tell student finance the student has stopped attending.
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
You don't pay it all back, you pay back the portion which was allocated for after you left. If you can't afford to pay it all back now then student finance will calculate a more affordable payment rate. Even if you leave at the end of the academic year you will still need to pay some grant back because its meant to cover summer until September. And the problem with just not attending is that sometimes universities have been known to tell student finance the student has stopped attending.

Thanks for the reply, I'm not fully sure what you mean by the part I highlighted. So if I was to drop out now and contact student finance I would only pay back the equivalent as to what was left up until the next payment?
Thanks for the reply, I'm not fully sure what you mean by the part I highlighted. So if I was to drop out now and contact student finance I would only pay back the equivalent as to what was left up until the next payment?

Say you got a grant of £500 and you dropped out in week 2 of a 12 week term. That's 10 weeks you have left which the grant was supposed to cover- student finance would decide how much of the £500 was meant to cover those 10 weeks and that would be what you paid back.
Reply 4
Original post by jelly1000
Say you got a grant of £500 and you dropped out in week 2 of a 12 week term. That's 10 weeks you have left which the grant was supposed to cover- student finance would decide how much of the £500 was meant to cover those 10 weeks and that would be what you paid back.

As I see thanks a lot. It's not long until the next payment is due so I guess I wont have much to pay back.
As I see thanks a lot. It's not long until the next payment is due so I guess I wont have much to pay back.

if you dropped out now, no. Just make sure you do contact student finance because they aren't told automatically. And if they do cock up and give you your next payment anyway whatever you do don't spend it- they will ask for it all back.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending