The Student Room Group

A/A* Revision Technique: Pomodoro Technique

I'm a A/A* targeted student, and recently I have adopted the Pomodoro Technique and guys you really need to try it out. Research shows that our attention span drops dramatically after 30mins, so this technique is really good for boosting your grades. Before I started, I wasted probably hours every day procrastinating during my revision after getting bored. The technique is a fancy way of saying "take breaks" but I find it useful because it makes you work hard as you know you have a break coming up, and it seriously boosts productivity. For example, today I have studied:

50 mins of Geography.
25mins of religion.
50 mins of Chemistry.
25 mins of Music.
50 mins of Maths.
50 mins of German.
25 mins of English.
25 mins of Physics.
25 mins of Latin.
25 mins of History.

The technique is basically:

25 mins work
5 mins rest
25 mins work
5 mins rest
25 mins work
5 mins rest
25 mins work
20 mins rest

Repeat.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by IzzySuperman
I'm a A/A* targeted student, and recently I have adopted the Pomodoro Technique and guys you really need to try it out. Research shows that our attention span drops dramatically after 30mins, so this technique is really good for boosting your grades. Before I started, I wasted probably hours every day procrastinating during my revision after getting bored. The technique is a fancy way of saying "take breaks" but I find it useful because it makes you work hard as you know you have a break coming up, and it seriously boosts productivity. For example, today I have studied:

50 mins of Geography.
25mins of religion.
50 mins of Chemistry.
25 mins of Music.
50 mins of Maths.
50 mins of German.
25 mins of English.
25 mins of Physics.
25 mins of Latin.
25 mins of History.

25 mins work
5 mins rest
25 mins work
5 mins rest
25 mins work
5 mins rest
25 mins work
20 mins rest

Repeat.

How on earth do you get English revision into 25 mins?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm gonna try this.

So 50mins for subjects with more priority 25mins for subjects with less.
25 minutes - half of that time will be taken up just getting out all the stuff I need to revise that one subject so.... :colondollar:

50 mins of Geography.
25mins of religion.
50 mins of Chemistry.
25 mins of Music.
50 mins of Maths.
50 mins of German.
25 mins of English.
25 mins of Physics.
25 mins of Latin.
25 mins of History.

25 mins work
5 mins rest
25 mins work
5 mins rest
25 mins work
5 mins rest
25 mins work
20 mins rest

Repeat.

Thanks!
Does this have a name? I've done this for years! However, every 3 sets of 25 mins, I'll take a 10 min break instead of 5. However, if I don't set alarms, I easily run over. Boo.
Original post by Violetvirtue
Sounds interesting :biggrin: you have had a very productive day I see, well done :smile:
what do you do in the rest? I find I waste soooo much time just looking for things
how do you revise the languages? :smile:

In the rest period I have a drink, have a stretch or a piece of toast. Maybe set up different books or get my laptop charger. For languages, practise papers in reading and listening are the key. Lots of the reading and listening exams are based on your knowledge of the vocab (you can get lists off the official websites) and some basic grammar for top marks is needed. It's easy to get A* in speaking and writing, you just need to get someone to check your grammar and write lots of different phrases, then memorise so that you don't make mistakes and get marked down for accuracy. Good luck!
Original post by thatawesomekid
How on earth do you get English revision into 25 mins?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Watch YouTube videos on how to write A* answers in the exam or do a practise question.
Original post by SuperHuman98
I'm gonna try this.

So 50mins for subjects with more priority 25mins for subjects with less.

Basically, I did a session in every subject then went back to the most important subjects. It's supposed to have good results!
Hi there,

I'm an A-Level student so I hope you don't mind me entering your thread.

I absolutely love the Pomodoro technique and I urge anyone to try it out. I use this site: http://www.marinaratimer.com/ to help set the Pomodoro timer and you can customise it to fit your needs.

One suggestion to make this technique even better is to add a section where you review your revised material. Therefore, I've dropped my revising time down by 5 minutes and adding 5 minutes after my break to review the material that I revised previously. For example:

1. Revise Computing for 20 minutes
2. 5 minute Break
3. Review revised material for Computing for 5 minutes.
4. Rinse and repeat.

Hope this helps and good luck with your GCSEs! :smile:
I just do like two hours straight History making notes and then type up notes on other subjects and get my dad to quiz me Aswell
Original post by Magnus Taylor
I just do like two hours straight History making notes and then type up notes on other subjects and get my dad to quiz me Aswell

Everyone is different, but studies show that your concentration levels dip dramatically after half an hour, so apparently it's more productive with breaks and mixing up the subjects. But each to their own! :biggrin:

I study essay based subjects too and I study for hours, with minimal breaks. Otherwise I get distracted when having a break.
Original post by Toy Soldiers
Hi there,

I'm an A-Level student so I hope you don't mind me entering your thread.

I absolutely love the Pomodoro technique and I urge anyone to try it out. I use this site: http://www.marinaratimer.com/ to help set the Pomodoro timer and you can customise it to fit your needs.

One suggestion to make this technique even better is to add a section where you review your revised material. Therefore, I've dropped my revising time down by 5 minutes and adding 5 minutes after my break to review the material that I revised previously. For example:

1. Revise Computing for 20 minutes
2. 5 minute Break
3. Review revised material for Computing for 5 minutes.
4. Rinse and repeat.

Hope this helps and good luck with your GCSEs! :smile:

This is interesting. I read somewhere that reviewing the content a few minutes later is good, maybe I should do the same. I just need the motivation and the breaks provide that! :smile:
Everyone is different, but studies show that your concentration levels dip dramatically after half an hour, so apparently it's more productive with breaks and mixing up the subjects. But each to their own! :biggrin:

My small breaks quickly goes to over an hour
Original post by okuyombenya
I study essay based subjects too and I study for hours, with minimal breaks. Otherwise I get distracted when having a break.

Yeah! Muscular endurance training for our wrists :wink:
My small breaks quickly goes to over an hour

That's why we use a timer, the 5 min timer has an alarm, then starts the next study session. I hate running overtime, so the timer means procrastination is not an option!
That's why we use a timer, the 5 min timer has an alarm, then starts the next study session. I hate running overtime, so the timer means procrastination is not an option!

Cada loco con su tema
Original post by turn-to-page394
25 minutes - half of that time will be taken up just getting out all the stuff I need to revise that one subject so.... :colondollar:

I literally have a whole shelf in my room dedicated to the revision stuff, all organised into subjects. Then in the morning I will plan my pomodoro order then grab all the stuff for all the subjects before starting. You can use the break to switch books around, but it shouldn't take too long, most subjects only need one revision guide and a workbook, maybe a class book.
Cada loco con su tema

Do you study Spanish too?!

Quick Reply

Latest