The Student Room Group

WJEC A2 Computing CG3 - Tuesday 23rd June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by RonanWalters
Hey!

This thread has been far too inactive, haha. Sorry for not being around, towards the end of the term things started to get a bit crazy.

That term went by far too quickly... Especially towards the end with all the ISA's. Hope you guys are having a good time off.

How's the revision going for you guys? I haven't really done much for my computing exams yet, at the moment I'm just focusing on math's and physics. I'm probably going to start my computing revision on Tuesday.

If anyone fancies doing some revision together, or what ever for computing, let me know. (:

Yeah it has been pretty inactive! Not sure how many people actually have this exam yet but I'm sure they'll surface with like 2 weeks before the exam! Last year people didn't start chatting properly on the thread until about 2 weeks into May!

I'm the same! I've only today just finished the coursework!!!

My physics EMPA was before the half term too. Got the practical section B in a months time. Gonna start my revision tomorrow properly now I've done with my coursework and compulsory homework!

How do you revise?
I do flash cards for history, read notes for computing, do practice papers for maths and read the revision guide for physics.

I'm off until the 20tj April so I'm up for revising over here or whatever if you fancy?
Original post by CD223
Yeah it has been pretty inactive! Not sure how many people actually have this exam yet but I'm sure they'll surface with like 2 weeks before the exam! Last year people didn't start chatting properly on the thread until about 2 weeks into May!

I'm the same! I've only today just finished the coursework!!!

My physics EMPA was before the half term too. Got the practical section B in a months time. Gonna start my revision tomorrow properly now I've done with my coursework and compulsory homework!

How do you revise?
I do flash cards for history, read notes for computing, do practice papers for maths and read the revision guide for physics.

I'm off until the 20tj April so I'm up for revising over here or whatever if you fancy?

Congrats! Bet it feels good knowing you've finished it, though!

For computing, I read through one topic at a time (so CG3.1 first), spend about an hour doing that and then I do all the past exams questions for that topic without looking at my notes. I do that for each topic and then once I've done that, I just start doing whole past papers and just go through the notes again if I need to.

I'm pretty much the same for math and physics. For physics I'm currently just reading through the whole AS and A2 revision guides (astrophysics feels like there is so much to take in), then just doing the past papers and with math I just do past papers.

Damn, nice! The A-level students at my college have to start back next Thursday, so it feels like this time off is just going to fly by.

Sure! We can do it this weekend if you want. Don't know if you'd want to do it on here, I don't mind - up to you!

Have you done all of your applying for student finance and accommodation yet, or?
Reply 62
Congrats! Bet it feels good knowing you've finished it, though!

For computing, I read through one topic at a time (so CG3.1 first), spend about an hour doing that and then I do all the past exams questions for that topic without looking at my notes. I do that for each topic and then once I've done that, I just start doing whole past papers and just go through the notes again if I need to.

I'm pretty much the same for math and physics. For physics I'm currently just reading through the whole AS and A2 revision guides (astrophysics feels like there is so much to take in), then just doing the past papers and with math I just do past papers.

Damn, nice! The A-level students at my college have to start back next Thursday, so it feels like this time off is just going to fly by.

Sure! We can do it this weekend if you want. Don't know if you'd want to do it on here, I don't mind - up to you!

Have you done all of your applying for student finance and accommodation yet, or?

Yeah it feels great!

That sounds good for computing - i usually just try and focus on doing papers which cover a broad base of questions but I might go topic by topic from now on.

Astro seems very long! Yeah we broke up on the 1st April so 18 days off is nice :smile:

Yeah we can use this thread - how do you suggest doing it - asking each other specific questions on each topic over here?

I've applied for student finance but not accommodation! you?
Reply 63
Does anyone have access to a topic by topic set of questions for this exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am sitting this exam as well but have no idea as to how to start revision for it. Can anyone help?!
Original post by CD223
Does anyone have access to a topic by topic set of questions for this exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My revision notes I posted in my original post contain all the exam questions for each topic, along with the answers. If you don't want to copy them over, I add the document with them all on to here. Up to you. (:

Original post by CD223
Yeah it feels great!

That sounds good for computing - i usually just try and focus on doing papers which cover a broad base of questions but I might go topic by topic from now on.

Astro seems very long! Yeah we broke up on the 1st April so 18 days off is nice :smile:

Yeah we can use this thread - how do you suggest doing it - asking each other specific questions on each topic over here?

I've applied for student finance but not accommodation! you?

We can do. I think maybe if I like upload a past paper / past exam question and then we can talk about how we'd go about it, something like that maybe? I've also been thinking about, if more people want to join in with revising together closer to the exam, we could see if there is something we can all use to do revision together, instead of spamming the thread.

Same here. I'm applying for accommodation probably on Friday. Starting to feel a bit scary / real now. Feels like just yesterday I was starting my first day at college.

Original post by wonderbar
I am sitting this exam as well but have no idea as to how to start revision for it. Can anyone help?!

In all honesty, apart from the application stuff like the binary maths, psuedocode, algorithms, etc. Just memories the mark schemes. Especially for the definitions. On my first post on the first page, I've add links to revision notes I added to which contain all the definitions and things you need to know from the mark schemes, along with how to do the application stuff such as binary maths.

I'm going through them topic by topic, learning all the definitions, etc. and then once I've done that for about an hour, doing all the past paper questions for that topic without looking at the notes.

Note sure if that's any help for you, but thought I'd just share how I'm going about with the revision. (:
Reply 66

I would take Ronan's advice. Also, try to get access to the ZigZag guide for CG3. It's a very useful resource.

My revision notes I posted in my original post contain all the exam questions for each topic, along with the answers. If you don't want to copy them over, I add the document with them all on to here. Up to you. (:

We can do. I think maybe if I like upload a past paper / past exam question and then we can talk about how we'd go about it, something like that maybe? I've also been thinking about, if more people want to join in with revising together closer to the exam, we could see if there is something we can all use to do revision together, instead of spamming the thread.

Same here. I'm applying for accommodation probably on Friday. Starting to feel a bit scary / real now. Feels like just yesterday I was starting my first day at college.

Oh brilliant, thank you!

Sure! that sounds a sensible method of revision. I don't mind whatever platform people want to revise on nearer the time, but I think the thread could work in the short term :smile:

I agree! I've researched into my choice of accommodation today. Nervous isn't the word!
Original post by CD223
I would take Ronan's advice. Also, try to get access to the ZigZag guide for CG3. It's a very useful resource.

Oh brilliant, thank you!

Sure! that sounds a sensible method of revision. I don't mind whatever platform people want to revise on nearer the time, but I think the thread could work in the short term :smile:

I agree! I've researched into my choice of accommodation today. Nervous isn't the word!

Yeah, I've heard the ZigZag revision guide is good. Wish my college had copies of it. /:

Yeah! Which university are you hoping to go to? (:
Reply 68
Yeah, I've heard the ZigZag revision guide is good. Wish my college had copies of it. /:

Yeah! Which university are you hoping to go to? (:

The ZigZag guide is good but I only have a paper copy of the pages - wish my teacher would give us the digital version so I could share it!

Bath for Computer Science - you?:smile:
Original post by CD223
The ZigZag guide is good but I only have a paper copy of the pages - wish my teacher would give us the digital version so I could share it!

Bath for Computer Science - you?:smile:

Yeah, I'm probably going to see if my college is able to get some / has any when we start back.

Damn, nice! I've got quite a few mates wanting to go Bath, heard it's really good there. Same, Computer Science but at Nottingham Uni.

I think that's what really motivates me, wanting to just do computer science at uni. If I don't get the grades to get into Nottingham I'll just be really disappointed in my self - but I try not to think about that part to much. Hahaha.
Reply 70
Yeah, I'm probably going to see if my college is able to get some / has any when we start back.

Damn, nice! I've got quite a few mates wanting to go Bath, heard it's really good there. Same, Computer Science but at Nottingham Uni.

I think that's what really motivates me, wanting to just do computer science at uni. If I don't get the grades to get into Nottingham I'll just be really disappointed in my self - but I try not to think about that part to much. Hahaha.

I think they're £99.00 GBP per copy which is a bummer or else I'd have bought myself a copy and just forwarded it :/

Ah Nottingham is also great! What grades are they asking for?

Yeah I'm bored of doing physics and history to be honest - I just want to get past this stage of exams so I can focus on the combo of computing and maths at uni! (I'm doing straight computer science, but it involves so much maths it might as well be regarded as a joint honours course haha!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

In all honesty, apart from the application stuff like the binary maths, psuedocode, algorithms, etc. Just memories the mark schemes. Especially for the definitions. On my first post on the first page, I've add links to revision notes I added to which contain all the definitions and things you need to know from the mark schemes, along with how to do the application stuff such as binary maths.

I'm going through them topic by topic, learning all the definitions, etc. and then once I've done that for about an hour, doing all the past paper questions for that topic without looking at the notes.

Note sure if that's any help for you, but thought I'd just share how I'm going about with the revision. (:

Thank you so much I will try and try this method of revision. I have already downloaded the condensed version of the revision notes that you posted. I haven't looked at everything but its very good.
Thanks again.
Reply 72
Thank you so much I will try and try this method of revision. I have already downloaded the condensed version of the revision notes that you posted. I haven't looked at everything but its very good.
Thanks again.

I just thought of another possible method - have you had a look at the stuff on the get revising website? There's a library of good resources on there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
Just did, it looks really good as well. Might use it for revision. Thank you. How did your write up for the coursework go? Have you had it marked as of yet?

Sorry, was that post directed at me? :smile: If so...

No worries! I think the write up went okay! Done all of the coursework besides the 25 mark software development section - going to demo my project to my teacher after Easter.

Hoping the other 75 marks went okay! I'd like as close to full marks as possible to take pressure off of the exam - will get my marks back in May.

How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
I just thought of another possible method - have you had a look at the stuff on the get revising website? There's a library of good resources on there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just did, it looks really good as well. Might use it for revision. Thank you. How did your write up for the coursework go? Have you had it marked as of yet?
Reply 75

See my above post :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Sorry, was that post directed at me? :smile: If so...

No worries! I think the write up went okay! Done all of the coursework besides the 25 mark software development section - going to demo my project to my teacher after Easter.

Hoping the other 75 marks went okay! I'd like as close to full marks as possible to take pressure off of the exam - will get my marks back in May.

How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its nice that you found it okay. Hopefully you're able to get the marks you want.

Will get the marks back after the holiday. I'm not sure about the processing stages as well as the user document that I did though. I'm not sure about the pseudo codes that I wrote.
Reply 77
Its nice that you found it okay. Hopefully you're able to get the marks you want.

Will get the marks back after the holiday. I'm not sure about the processing stages as well as the user document that I did though. I'm not sure about the pseudo codes that I wrote.

Thank you, I hope you get the marks you want too!

What was your project?

Any reason you think you'll not get gold marks for those sections?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks. My project was making an Ipad booking system.

I don't know whether the pseudo code that I wrote was right or not, like is it the correct format and does it include everything. I pray I am able to get good marks from the whole project.
Reply 79
Thanks. My project was making an Ipad booking system.

I don't know whether the pseudo code that I wrote was right or not, like is it the correct format and does it include everything. I pray I am able to get good marks from the whole project.

Oh what did an iPad booking system involve? :smile: what language did you use?

I'm sure you will! How was your project demonstration carried out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending