The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Guys anyone here done the practice /examination questions in the ocr book for thermal physics. I am confused by them. I can't seem to do them even tho in past papers I can do similar questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Maybe, but I wouldn't burn through papers. I haven't even started yet, wanna save them for exam because they're more representative

Ours will be harder for sure!

Just checked F324 the day before G484 fun times.

Fair enough I may exhaust the earlier g484 papers.

Oh great!

But 39 for an A last year which means that 90UMS was about 46! :biggrin:

Do you need an A* in physics?

Original post by Devran22
Guys anyone here done the practice /examination questions in the ocr book for thermal physics. I am confused by them. I can't seem to do them even tho in past papers I can do similar questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are long winded but doable sure.

They are more of the legacy format and just ocr's made up q's.

The ones we will get will be broken down with lots of topics interlinked within a question.
Original post by EmmaBxoxo
Just checked F324 the day before G484 fun times.

Fair enough I may exhaust the earlier g484 papers.

Oh great!

But 39 for an A last year which means that 90UMS was about 46! :biggrin:

Do you need an A* in physics?

Ah that's fine. They're both pretty simple, have an F324 mock when we're back so will see how I do in that!

Without having done revision I got 55 on a past paper teacher made us do in school, so hopefully with revision it'll all be fine.

Hopefully it'll continue that way:woo:

I need 2 A*s from any of FM, chem and physics. It'll definitely be FM one of them. I want all 3 tbh. So don't need one in physics if I get it in chem, but if I don't get it in chem I need it in physics.

I think French would be hardest to get an A* in
Ah that's fine. They're both pretty simple, have an F324 mock when we're back so will see how I do in that!

Without having done revision I got 55 on a past paper teacher made us do in school, so hopefully with revision it'll all be fine.

Hopefully it'll continue that way:woo:

I need 2 A*s from any of FM, chem and physics. It'll definitely be FM one of them. I want all 3 tbh. So don't need one in physics if I get it in chem, but if I don't get it in chem I need it in physics.

I think French would be hardest to get an A* in

Haha nice. If you get June 2014 take care with that ozonolysis question!

Yeah I want straight A*s too, easier said then done etc. but will be a fun challenge.

Lol mean offer much? So essentially you require 3 A*s in maths and then two of them. So is your offer for this year A*A*A and you are taking french for fun?

Do you do CIE further maths?

Probably is tbh languages require a different type of thinking.
Haha nice. If you get June 2014 take care with that ozonolysis question!

Yeah I want straight A*s too, easier said then done etc. but will be a fun challenge.

Lol mean offer much? So essentially you require 3 A*s in maths and then two of them. So is your offer for this year A*A*A and you are taking french for fun?

Do you do CIE further maths?

Probably is tbh languages require a different type of thinking.

What even is that? Lmao

French would be only difficulty, and I don't have lessons so even worse. Idk if I'll bother with it tbh

Well it's Cambridge so, guess it has to be! Taking French because it should be an easy A, which would be good to have.

Nope, WJEC.
What even is that? Lmao

French would be only difficulty, and I don't have lessons so even worse. Idk if I'll bother with it tbh

Well it's Cambridge so, guess it has to be! Taking French because it should be an easy A, which would be good to have.

Nope, WJEC.

Its one of those frickin application questions, its doing to with the breaking down of a double bond and oxygen forms or something like that. Not in any revision guides. Classic OCR.

Ah I see.

On a side note, in my perspective Chemistry is slightly harder than Physics at A2, yet ocr chem a2 boundaries are a lot higher than the physics a2 one.

Getting 53 and 85 generally banks you max ums for g484 and g485 respectively. Is it that better candidates take chemistry to a2, or others find physics at a2 hard smh.

How much exam leave do you get :smile:
hey guys i just wanna know if going over the examination reports for each paper... especially g484 and g485 papers after you've marked them??

AND should i learn as i go through the papers or just go over the book again then do the papers??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Let me get this clear, so in order to get an A* you need 90% UMS at A2 which is 270/300 UMS if I'm right. This allows 30 UMS to be lost on both papers including the practical.

I was fast-tracking physics last year and got 30/40 marks for the practical which translates to 36/60 UMS. I basically lost 24 UMS and I am now left with a margin of 6 UMS to still achieve that A*.

I know that the grade boundaries will be different this year, but how many mistakes will 6 UMS roughly allow? It seems like I will have to aim for full marks on G484.
Original post by sakuramochi
Let me get this clear, so in order to get an A* you need 90% UMS at A2 which is 270/300 UMS if I'm right. This allows 30 UMS to be lost on both papers including the practical.

I was fast-tracking physics last year and got 30/40 marks for the practical which translates to 36/60 UMS. I basically lost 24 UMS and I am now left with a margin of 6 UMS to still achieve that A*.

I know that the grade boundaries will be different this year, but how many mistakes will 6 UMS roughly allow? It seems like I will have to aim for full marks on G484.

53 marks
82 marks

Should get you 100ums in the exams.

I too think OCR practicals are insanely stupid and poorly thought out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sakuramochi

Why didn't you do your practicals again?

Well full ums marks are generally:

G484 54 raw
G485 86 raw

If you can get that and with paper difficulty increasing and boundaries decreasing then you should get an A*.

Original post by Hilton184
53 marks
82 marks

Should get you 100ums in the exams.

I too think OCR practicals are insanely stupid and poorly thought out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

idd.

Do you guys have the June 2014 papers?

Gone through most of G484 need g485 though :colondollar:
Why didn't you do your practicals again?

Well full ums marks are generally:

G484 54 raw
G485 86 raw

If you can get that and with paper difficulty increasing and boundaries decreasing then you should get an A*.

idd.

Do you guys have the June 2014 papers?

Gone through most of G484 need g485 though :colondollar:

Thank you both for your replies! I am not redoing my practicals because I am a private candidate this year at a different college and it would have been such a hassle to organise them. :redface:
Which revision guides do you use?
Reply 192
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
Which revision guides do you use?

I use the CGP one. It's concise and easy to use.
I thought it was 90% UMS for the A2 exams and 80% average UMS for the A2 practical and AS exams/practical to get an A*?
Wait what. There's A* boundaries for A2 practicals too ???
Original post by Username13
I thought it was 90% UMS for the A2 exams and 80% average UMS for the A2 practical and AS exams/practical to get an A*?

Candidates achieving at least 480
uniform marks in their Advanced GCE, ie grade A, and who also gain at least 270 uniform marks in their three A2 units will receive an A* grade.

Original post by Makashima
Wait what. There's A* boundaries for A2 practicals too ???

Yes, and they're extremely high.
Original post by morgan8002

Yes, and they're extremely high.

It is out of 40 raw marks, how much raw marks for an A*?
Id say 38-39
It is out of 40 raw marks, how much raw marks for an A*?
Id say 38-39

OCR don't publish theirs, but it's around 37 or 38 for an A*(varies year on year).
Original post by morgan8002
OCR don't publish theirs, but it's around 37 or 38 for an A*(varies year on year).

ohhhh thanks and okidoki, let it be 37 pls :frown: i got 37 in the pracs
ohhhh thanks and okidoki, let it be 37 pls :frown: i got 37 in the pracs

Lucky! I'll probably find mine out next week but at the most it'll be around 33-34. I really need an A* overall.

Latest

Trending

Trending