The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qwerty135
Yes I've firmed Surrey!! I'll see you there in September! On the accommodation site you only put your preferred band. So if you wanted manor park you put band D as your first choice, but you could get put in any band D or your 2nd choice. I think if you get one you don't like you can always swap with someone else.
but I would prefer manor park becasue all 3 of the vet buildings are right next to it and I wouldn't have to catch a bus every day

I've firmed Surrey, but I'm applying for stag hill. it's only a ten minute walk to manor park I don't see you needing to get a bus to the vet buildings from the main campus
Original post by millyc97
I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on retakes? Im in year 13 atm, but didn't apply this year as im taking a gap. However, I am due to have pretty serious surgery at the end of may which means exams are out of the window :frown: does anyone know where most uni's stand with retaking A2? Thanks :smile: x

I'm a resit candidate as I had an offer last year and devastatingly just missed out on the grades. When I decided I was going to stick at it and resit, I contacted all the unis to see what their resit policy was. Surrey, RVC and Nottingham accept resits, so do Liverpool but they only let you reapply to them once. Bristol allow you to resit if you have only missed one subject by one grade. This is what I was told last summer. You may want to contact the universities yourself to see where they would stand on your individual situation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 0802
Has anybody got an example of a timetable for this year at vet school?? Preferably liverpool but any place would do!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can send you my timetable if you want, I'm a Liverpool student

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have a first year RVC timetable that they could possibly send me please? :smile:
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Lol I was under the impression that Sydneybridge works in admissions :tongue:

I have nothing against Bristol, if that's what you think :tongue: I'm considering Bristol as my insurance choice whereas I didn't even apply to Surrey. I just think that Bristol is good enough that it speaks for itself and it's unnecessary to slate other vet schools to encourage people to go there, y'know?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hiya, I'm not sure where sydneybridge works, but they do sound like they possibly work in admissions! :s-smilie:
However, I do work in admissions at Bristol and am alarmed that some of you guys on TSR may be getting the impression that Bristol is slagging off other vet schools - this is definitely not how we operate, in fact we are well aware that not everyone will choose Bristol, just as not everyone would choose the RVC or Liverpool or any of the other vet schools. We would be in big trouble if they did!!

You are right, Bristol is a well established vet school with fabulous facilities and a newly updated curriculum. It is also able to offer its students the chance to experience University life in both a large, vibrant city and a quieter rural setting. We have also recently been inspected by the RCVS and received a glowing report - this doesn't mean we aren't always striving to improve though.

Whichever vet school you all choose will be the right one for you; I've yet to come across a vet student who regrets their choice of vet school. You all work damn hard to get here and you'll work even harder once you start the course.

So, don't sweat the small stuff, don't worry that other people may try to sway your opinions about who's 'the best', don't fret about what books to buy, what stuff you need or what vax to get, just concentrate on passing your exams so you meet the offer of your chosen vet school.
Unless you're unconditional obviously, then you can worry about what you like :biggrin:

Finally, well done to everyone who's been made one/two/three/four offers (what happened to YONO?). Also, to those who didn't make it this time - every year we see LOADS of reapps and more often than not, they do get an offer second, or sometimes even third, time around, so do not give up.

PS - Bristol is the best, obviously. Just sayin' :wink:
Original post by forumobserver
Hiya, I'm not sure where sydneybridge works, but they do sound like they possibly work in admissions! :s-smilie:
However, I do work in admissions at Bristol and am alarmed that some of you guys on TSR may be getting the impression that Bristol is slagging off ot

:
:
:
:
Finally, well done to everyone who's been made one/two/three/four offers (what happened to YONO?). Also, to those who didn't make it this time - every year we see LOADS of reapps and more often than not, they do get an offer second, or sometimes even third, time around, so do not give up.

i really welcome these professional and supportive comments. I also value and respect bristol forum observer for being on here, being open about affiliations and for telling us What's going on in an informed manner. Having spent two years stalking these pages trying to glean fact from fiction I believe it would be really supportive if all vet schools were to nominate an admissions person to participate on this forum in support of applicants. They and we know how stressful this process is and getting real insights from those formally involved in admissions would be a real benefit ... IMHO :-)
Original post by forumobserver
However, I do work in admissions at Bristol and am alarmed that some of you guys on TSR may be getting the impression that Bristol is slagging off other vet schools - this is definitely not how we operate, in fact we are well aware that not everyone will choose Bristol, just as not everyone would choose the RVC or Liverpool or any of the other vet schools. We would be in big trouble if they did!!

You are right, Bristol is a well established vet school with fabulous facilities and a newly updated curriculum. It is also able to offer its students the chance to experience University life in both a large, vibrant city and a quieter rural setting. We have also recently been inspected by the RCVS and received a glowing report - this doesn't mean we aren't always striving to improve though.

Whichever vet school you all choose will be the right one for you; I've yet to come across a vet student who regrets their choice of vet school. You all work damn hard to get here and you'll work even harder once you start the course.

So, don't sweat the small stuff, don't worry that other people may try to sway your opinions about who's 'the best', don't fret about what books to buy, what stuff you need or what vax to get, just concentrate on passing your exams so you meet the offer of your chosen vet school.
Unless you're unconditional obviously, then you can worry about what you like :biggrin:

Does this mean that Bristol have given out all their offers now?
Hi-
I'm looking into Bristol uni for Vet Med to join Sep 2016. I love the idea of becoming a vet but I am also looking into specifically a masters in equine science at Hartpury. Do either unis compare, could I train to be an equine vet from the masters at Hartpury and are any of you students at either? I'm so into looking at unis at the moment, but it's all so daunting and confusing!
Any help would be great :biggrin: thanks so much!
Tash

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TWeeks
Hi-
I'm looking into Bristol uni for Vet Med to join Sep 2016. I love the idea of becoming a vet but I am also looking into specifically a masters in equine science at Hartpury. Do either unis compare, could I train to be an equine vet from the masters at Hartpury and are any of you students at either? I'm so into looking at unis at the moment, but it's all so daunting and confusing!
Tash

Posted from TSR Mobile

Others on this forum will know better than I, but to become a vet you need to take an approved degree course in vet med and the postgrad course you refer to is not one of them and as such you will not become an 'equine vet' following that course. Best starting point to considering a career as a vet is http://www.rcvs.org.uk/education/i-want-to-be-a-vet/
good luck.
Original post by TWeeks
Hi-
Tash

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm at Hartpury at the moment and will be starting a graduate veterinary medicine degree at the RVC in September. If you are looking at doing a masters you are best doing an undergraduate degree first rather than just straight into a masters.
No and its killing me waiting! Obsessively checking my email :/
Original post by Vethopeful1996
Does anyone have a first year RVC timetable that they could possibly send me please? :smile:

This is the BVetMed timetable for next year :smile:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1428569880.872588.jpg
Original post by beckycat
This is the BVetMed timetable for next year :smile:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1428569880.872588.jpg

Any chance you might be able to post a copy of the accelerated course timetable??
Original post by sydneybridge
Do you really want to spend 5 years living in .... Guildford?
At a half-finished Vet School with entirely new staff who havnt got a clue what they are doing?

Or would you rather live in the decent sized, vibrant city of Bristol with a great big, well-established Vet School with a fabulous worldwide reputation, a complete 'Uni experience', lots more students and lots more going on?
http://www.timeout.com/bristol

You have clearly not been to guildford. Its like a more well stocked version of clifton. Also, I'm a grad, so no loan.. student housing costs slightly more in bristol! Such a tough choice.. in fact, they are all sitting so level that if any of the unis I have offers from (not just surrey and bristol) wants to offer me a scholarship with money off my fees, I'd firm them today.
Just firmed Bristol!!!!! :biggrin: and to anyone who didn't get an offer or interview this year don't panic! Last year I applied for VetMed and received no interviews whatsoever (probably due to my not so perfect AS grades and weak PS). It was hard but I knew if I got the grades in Summer I could re-apply and take a gap year, so thats what I did. I got A*AA (Bio Chem Maths) in the end after working super hard at it and declined my Biovet offers and took a year out. I re-applied to bristol,rvc,surrey and nottingham. I got two interviews, from bristol and rvc, and have just accepted Bristols offer! So if you are 110% sure VetMed is the course for you, don't give up, you can do it x
Original post by qwertyhg
Any chance you might be able to post a copy of the accelerated course timetable??

Here you go :smile:

Untitled picture.png
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6956
Original post by emmiehunters96
I think as long as you can remember your work experience well enough to comment and reflect on it, it should be completely valid, as it's all about how you learned from the experience in order to justify your reasoning behind being a vet, and proving to the University that you've fully explored (or, as fully as possible) all the different aspects of being a vet in practice! In fact, it's probably a brilliant idea to bring up work-experience from a longer time ago, just to prove that your dream of being a vet is a long-lived commitment, not just a spur-of-the-moment idea.

It sounds like you have some amazing experience already! To be honest, seeing large farms and experiencing lambing are impressive and can help your chances of getting in, but I have conditional offers at three vet schools as a first-time applicant, and have had no experience on a farm OR lambing (I visited farms on veterinary experience, but never spent time exclusively on a farm, and missed lambing last year for long and complicated reasons...)

I'm in quite an awkward circumstance as I'm at boarding school in the UK, and so haven't had the ability to go out and obtain lots of work experience (plus when I'm at home, I live in a country where I don't speak the language of the local vets, making it even MORE difficult), so the universities may have taken that into account in my case.

But in all honesty, as long as you've spent time in a veterinary clinic (preferably large AND small), and have undertaken the MINIMUM work-experience requirements by each school (Liverpool requires the most at 10 weeks...), and can reflect on your experiences at interview, there is no reason that you won't be able to get in based on the work experience that you have!

Best of luck for GCSEs (I'm sure you'll do brilliantly!!) and all the best with your application to vet school. It's tough- but definitely worth it! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Thank you! That makes sense, I'm still in the process of applying and have emailed loads of places so hopefully I get a response! Congratulations on your offers that's amazing, good luck!
Original post by vethopeful2015
People who have firmed Surrey have you thought about where you want to apply for accommodation? Manor park or stag hill campus?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I chose band D because I really want to be in manor park because that's where all the vet buildings are. What about you? 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 09brownk
I chose band D because I really want to be in manor park because that's where all the vet buildings are. What about you? 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I chose band D too, I applied for accommodation yesterday. I hope I get manor park too!
Do you know when they get back to you about accommodation? I have an unconditional offer so I wasn't sure if they'd give people with unconditionals their accommodation straight away because they don't have to wait to get their grades

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vethopeful2015
Yeah I chose band D too, I applied for accommodation yesterday. I hope I get manor park too!
Do you know when they get back to you about accommodation? I have an unconditional offer so I wasn't sure if they'd give people with unconditionals their accommodation straight away because they don't have to wait to get their grades

Posted from TSR Mobile

It says that you won't hear back from you accommodation until the third week of August if you get the grades but I'm not sure what happens about unconditional offers because you obviously already have the grades haha. Congrats on your unconditional offer btw! 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending