The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
the essay question is the only thing i'm good at/confident with! the data handling may trip me up plus i hateeeeee all the technology n genetic engineering type questions
Original post by erudite
the essay question is the only thing i'm good at/confident with! the data handling may trip me up plus i hateeeeee all the technology n genetic engineering type questions

I also hate the gene technology stuff. But I find most of the other BIOL 5 content quite interesting
Original post by erudite

How are u confident with the essay?! Please share your tips! The essay is scaring me :/
Thanks xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
Original post by pinkgorilla
How are u confident with the essay?! Please share your tips! The essay is scaring me :/
Thanks xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just make sure you have revised and covered everything on the course - mainly including all the AS topics esp in unit 1, they come up almost always every year!

Read over the mark schemes for each essay and you'll see how easy it is to get certain marks - you can obtain 9 marks without any detail of any scientific content!
Original post by Kira Yagami
Hi everyone. I have noticed that the xtreme papers website does not work when I click on the 'papers' category at the top. It used to work and that was how I accessed the old Biology AQA papers.

Is this happening just for me or are other people experiencing this problem?

Any solution?

Please help, thanks. http://www.xtremepapers.com/

Do you do old spec papers?

Hey :smile: It's not working for me either, but check out this:
http://www.livingscience.co.uk/Year13.html

It dates back to 2003 :smile: Old papers are actually quite useful, especially the unit 2 genetics ones.
Does anyone know what we need to know about the second messenger model? Spec isn't too helpful

Could anyone explain it please?
Original post by Efemena15
Does anyone know what we need to know about the second messenger model? Spec isn't too helpful

Could anyone explain it please?

The secondary messenger model is a simple concept once you understand it. The secondary messenger model allows hormones in small quantities to have a large effect. For example the hormone adrenaline (example in the a2 nelson thornes book), it binds to target cells that have the adrenaline receptor on their cell membrane. Once it binds it specific receptor, it activates an enzyme on the inside of the cell that results in the production of a substance/chemical - this is the secondary messenger. This chemical brings about "a series of chemical changes" in the case of adrenaline, which results in the conversion of glycogen to glucose. The enzyme can catalyse the reaction for the chemical until the substrate required is no longer available, this produces a large amount of chemicals, which carry out the response, quickly and effectively. So the secondary messenger model amplifies the response.
Original post by bradlydc
The secondary messenger model is a simple concept once you understand it. The secondary messenger model allows hormones in small quantities to have a large effect. For example the hormone adrenaline (example in the a2 nelson thornes book), it binds to target cells that have the adrenaline receptor on their cell membrane. Once it binds it specific receptor, it activates an enzyme on the inside of the cell that results in the production of a substance/chemical - this is the secondary messenger. This chemical brings about "a series of chemical changes" in the case of adrenaline, which results in the conversion of glycogen to glucose. The enzyme can catalyse the reaction for the chemical until the substrate required is no longer available, this produces a large amount of chemicals, which carry out the response, quickly and effectively. So the secondary messenger model amplifies the response.

Yeah it finally clicked this morning. Thanks a lot for the explanation though. Have you started past papers yet?
When will people start proper revision for this exam?

I have 15 exams (retaking AS) and I'm planning to start revision for this in May ( 12 days of constant revision) and a few days in June.

And I have mastered Unit 1,2 and 4 (I'm retaking unit 1 and 2)
(edited 9 years ago)

I have 15 exams (retaking AS) and I'm planning to start revision for this in May ( 12 days of constant revision) and a few days in June.

Ill start revising like mad for this unit in May also. Im doing Unit 1 and 2 rn, not intense but like 2-3 times a week?

P.S. do you know Gods of death love apples
Original post by Chatirito_MUFC
I made some amazing notes when I did this unit and it helped me get an amazing grade.
Here is the link.
Trust me....read it.
https://www.scribd.com/doc/239646001/AQA-Biology-Unit-5
If you can't download it, email me @[email protected] and I'll send it to you.

they are really helpful.thanks.
no one has probably rated it bc they cant be bothered to login and stuff buh the notes are great (:

MAY?... start now!
Original post by Makashima

P.S. do you know Gods of death love apples

what is that??
Original post by ~amethyst~
what is that??

lmaooo it is b/c of the poster name is a character from death note (an anime show) & one the most famous quote is that hence i typed it...but got blanked lelel xD
Original post by Makashima
lmaooo it is b/c of the poster name is a character from death note (an anime show) & one the most famous quote is that hence i typed it...but got blanked lelel xD

lol im confused but okay:K:
Can someone explain to me the refractory period.
Original post by ~amethyst~
Can someone explain to me the refractory period.

The refractory period is the period after an action potential has been generated and now the voltage gated sodium ion channels are closed. The refractory period ends when the resting membrane potential has been established. The whole point of the refractory period is to make sure that the action potential movies in one direction and that the action potentials are produced as discrete impulses so the brain can recognise them individually.
Reply 77
Hoping I'm ready for this in time! Is anyone else retaking unit one as well and finding it a lot easier after doing more bio? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ppatience
they are really helpful.thanks.
no one has probably rated it bc they cant be bothered to login and stuff buh the notes are great (:

Appreciate it. Thank you.
Original post by bradlydc
The refractory period is the period after an action potential has been generated and now the voltage gated sodium ion channels are closed. The refractory period ends when the resting membrane potential has been established. The whole point of the refractory period is to make sure that the action potential movies in one direction and that the action potentials are produced as discrete impulses so the brain can recognise them individually.

Hi,so is refractory period the same as hyperpolarisation?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending