The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lawstudent20
I had a final interview for a vacation scheme with a firm and unfortunately I wasn't offered a place on the vacation scheme but the firm suggested applying directly for a training contract. Equally last year I did a vacation scheme with a firm and I did not get offered a training contract at the end of it but I would like to apply directly for a training contract this year. Where the questions on the application for a training contract are the same as those on the vacation scheme application form, do people know whether you are expected to write different answers? My reasons for choosing the firms etc have not changed but I don't whether it looks bad to write the same answer but equally if I write a different one they might be like why have you changed everything you said before.

I don't think they'd ever question why you changed anything - unless it is in contradiction to what you said before.

I think it may be good to change the 'why this firm' question and add some experience you had while you were at the firm to make it sound more genuine. This is especially true for the vac scheme firm as you have had more experience there (and thus more stuff to back up why this firm), but even for the firm you had an interview with - mention things that happened on that day, or something the partner said to you when you asked about the firm etc. and why that appeals to you.
Original post by LawStudentLLM
I don't think they'd ever question why you changed anything - unless it is in contradiction to what you said before.

I think it may be good to change the 'why this firm' question and add some experience you had while you were at the firm to make it sound more genuine. This is especially true for the vac scheme firm as you have had more experience there (and thus more stuff to back up why this firm), but even for the firm you had an interview with - mention things that happened on that day, or something the partner said to you when you asked about the firm etc. and why that appeals to you.

Thank you, that's really useful advice :smile:
Do people think we will hear from Weightmans today? Really want to know what these tests are!
Reply 5123
I'm still waiting to hear from my Mishcon video interview. I did it about a month ago
Original post by kimiak
Oh okay, Well I guess this is good news for people with Assessment days with them because if people perform well enough they are in line for TC.Did you get invited to the open day too?

No I got an invite for their AC. I attended their open day last year when they were EWP.

I got the below info from the lawcareers "Meet the Recruiter" part of their website for Cooley:

How important is your vacation scheme as part of the recruitment process?

Very important, now more than ever, as we've changed our process so that we hold an assessment day to select candidates for the scheme. Therefore, we could be making an offer directly after someone has completed their scheme, which in turn means that we could have very limited places left by late August, when/if we hold any further assessment days. For candidates, the scheme plays a hugely significant role in helping them to decide if the firm is the place at which they would flourish.
Reply 5125
Original post by Jingojango
Do people think we will hear from Weightmans today? Really want to know what these tests are!

Theres the weightmans update! "It'll be fixed next Friday. Hopefully. We'll let you know." Great stuff.
PFO Eversheds Birmingham but 'offered an the opportunity to attend an assessment centre for TC'
Reply 5127
Any news from Eversheds Manchester?
Original post by almvp
Is anyone attending Lewis Silkin's 2 day workshop at the end of this month? Just wondering where people are staying over the 2 days?

I am but fortunately I now live in London! There are Travel Lodges in Tottenham Court Road and Farringdon which I know central London firms often use to put people from further afield on vac schemes.
Original post by legal_nyx
You should consider attending and use it as an opportunity to network with those in the firm.

I attended their open day last year (when they were EWP) and although they had filled all of their 2016 TC spots from the VS, I then submitted pretty much the same app for this year (except for the "Why Cooley?" Question) and got an invite to this year's AC.

I guess it depends on if you're feeling confident that you'll get a TC regardless this year then you may decide it's not worth going. But if you're keeping your options open just in case and want to apply again next year then the open day is a great opportunity to demonstrate your competence and most importantly be memorable!

If they've offered you a place on their open day, they do like your app and at least if you have to apply again (hopefully not the case if you get one this year) then you have a slight edge over other candidates as you've been there, can add in your experience because of the open day and graduate recruitment will likely remember you.

Slightly wordy response but just my two pence worth :smile: Good luck!

Thank you for your response! Lifted my spirits in the morning. I will most likely take up the opportunity, I wasn't sure about this last night because I have already submitted a TC 2017 app to Cooley earlier this year :/ so yea. Can't change what I've already submitted.

All the best in your AC!:smile:
Original post by lin25
I'm still waiting to hear from my Mishcon video interview. I did it about a month ago

Same here. I emailed Mishcon last week and they said they're currently screening video interviews and will get back to everyone soon...
Reply 5131
Original post by VelvetFox
I am but fortunately I now live in London! There are Travel Lodges in Tottenham Court Road and Farringdon which I know central London firms often use to put people from further afield on vac schemes.[k/QUOTE]

Thank you for the info see you in a few weeks :smile:
Original post by lin25

i'm almost hitting 2 months waiting now :/
Vacation scheme offer at Arnold & Porter in London :smile:
When did you have your interview?
Original post by Delta123
When did you have your interview?

Last week :smile:
Congrats! What day did you have your interview last week if you dont mind me asking?
Should you wear a full suit to a law firms open day?
Original post by student652
Should you wear a full suit to a law firms open day?

yes
Hill Dickinson summer scheme anyone?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending