The Student Room Group

Why are Group 1 metals more reactive as you go down but Halogens are the opposite?

I'm confused:confused:. I meant down the periodic table.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Ben Johnson

Hi its to do with the position of the electrons on the shells. As you go down group 1 the electrons become further away from the nucleus so there is less attraction , meaning electrons are lost more easily ; its the other way round for halogens.
Original post by zak7399
Hi its to do with the position of the electrons on the shells. As you go down group 1 the electrons become further away from the nucleus so there is less attraction , meaning electrons are lost more easily ; its the other way round for halogens.

The decrease in reactivity of the halogens is more to do with the decrease in electronegativity down the group. Fluorine is the most electronegative element so it can rip electrons of almost anything making it very reactive
Reply 3
Original post by langlitz
The decrease in reactivity of the halogens is more to do with the decrease in electronegativity down the group. Fluorine is the most electronegative element so it can rip electrons of almost anything making it very reactive

Thanks. So will all non-metals (except for noble gases of course) be less reactive as you go down the table or just the halogens?
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks. So will all non-metals (except for noble gases of course) be less reactive as you go down the table or just the halogens?

That's not necessarily true, there are other factors which will have an effect. But in general yes you could say that

Quick Reply

Latest