The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

A level subject combinations for A & F in lse

Hi, I'm about to start my A levels in a few months. The subjects that I'm planning to take is maths, economics, accounting, and sociology. Is this combination good enough for me to have a chance on getting accepted into Lse for A & F?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

A-level accounting is a non-preferred subject. You can get accepted even with accounting but you will have to score really well in it on top of a personal statement that they like. Otherwise, drop it and take another traditional subject.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by Dayallen
Hi, I'm about to start my A levels in a few months. The subjects that I'm planning to take is maths, economics, accounting, and sociology. Is this combination good enough for me to have a chance on getting accepted into Lse for A & F?

Do further maths plus another traditional subject such as the natural sciences, languages or humanities, in place or Sociology and/or accounting.
Reply 3
Original post by JediHamster
A-level accounting is a non-preferred subject. You can get accepted even with accounting but you will have to score really well in it on top of a personal statement that they like. Otherwise, drop it and take another traditional subject.

Ya, I'm aware that accounting is a non-preffered subject but looking at most of the successful applicants for A & F at lse, many of them have accounting as one of their subjects.
Reply 4
Original post by lecafe88
Do further maths plus another traditional subject such as the natural sciences, languages or humanities, in place or Sociology and/or accounting.

Isn't further maths not necessary for A & F? I wanted to take physics instead of sociology but my school is not offering that combination.
Reply 5
Going through the previous threads on this forum, I realised that many successful applicants for A & F in lse have a combination of subjects such as maths, economics and accounting. Of course with very high grades. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Ya, I'm aware that accounting is a non-preffered subject but looking at most of the successful applicants for A & F at lse, many of them have accounting as one of their subjects.

That is correct but partly because most people disregard LSE's preference on subjects and take up Accounting anyway. Essentially, it's up to you. You could take the risk or replace it with a preferred subject.
Reply 7

I got accepted for A & F for 2015 with A*AA at A2
A2 Subjects Math A* , Physics A and Chemistry A. actual results not predicted. AS level aaaaab including a in accounting

I agree you should drop accounting at A2 as it is non preferred at LSE.
(see LSE website for full list of non preferred subjects)
Avoid any non preferred subjects at A2 . if you make it past the first 2 weeks you will receive an email saying we are going to measure you against your cohorts. Basically they will rank you against the other applicants and I believe 3 preferred subjects will surpass 2 preferred and 1 non preferred subject. Not 100% sure on this but i think they want to make sure you can handle the workload at LSE.
Note A&F is very competitive.
PS statement also very important.

You will also have to consider other universities requirements so it is your decision. Good luck you'll need it.
Reply 8
Original post by JediHamster
That is correct but partly because most people disregard LSE's preference on subjects and take up Accounting anyway. Essentially, it's up to you. You could take the risk or replace it with a preferred subject.

I see. I was considering taking accounting because it is related to the course and also because lse website stated it's fine if we combined a non-preferred subject with two traditional subjects.
Reply 9
Original post by Harry7777
I got accepted for A & F for 2015 with A*AA at A2
A2 Subjects Math A* , Physics A and Chemistry A. actual results not predicted. AS level aaaaab including a in accounting

I agree you should drop accounting at A2 as it is non preferred at LSE.
(see LSE website for full list of non preferred subjects)
Avoid any non preferred subjects at A2 . if you make it past the first 2 weeks you will receive an email saying we are going to measure you against your cohorts. Basically they will rank you against the other applicants and I believe 3 preferred subjects will surpass 2 preferred and 1 non preferred subject. Not 100% sure on this but i think they want to make sure you can handle the workload at LSE.
Note A&F is very competitive.
PS statement also very important.

You will also have to consider other universities requirements so it is your decision. Good luck you'll need it.

Thanks for your feedback. It was really insightful. I'm just afraid of dropping accounting because the subject is closely related with the course and dropping it might seem like I don't have a passion for the subject. I was thinking of doing sociology until As and focusing more on maths, economics, and accounting for A2.

I've read the entry criteria for A & F on lse website, and it says that students with humanities subjects are encouraged to apply. I also realised that many successful applicants on this forum are taking maths, economics, and accounting for A2. So it should be fine I guess?
Isn't further maths not necessary for A & F? I wanted to take physics instead of sociology but my school is not offering that combination.

Oh no its not a necessity. I just think it definitely looks better on your application in place of accounting or Sociology. Given that some schools aren't able to provide further maths, no university makes further maths a compulsory A level for entry into any subject.
I would steer away from doing Accounting at A2 if you want to get into LSE.
Original post by Kash24411
I would steer away from doing Accounting at A2 if you want to get into LSE.

I don't think LSE will know which subjects you'll carry on to A2 unless you only take 3 AS levels, so if you drop it at A2 it doesn't really make a difference, as LSE sees your AS grades to judge your application.

However, having two kinda soft AS subjects (accounting, sociology) will make an application less appealing to someone who offers, say, geography and chemistry instead.
Thanks for your feedback. It was really insightful. I'm just afraid of dropping accounting because the subject is closely related with the course and dropping it might seem like I don't have a passion for the subject. I was thinking of doing sociology until As and focusing more on maths, economics, and accounting for A2.

I've read the entry criteria for A & F on lse website, and it says that students with humanities subjects are encouraged to apply. I also realised that many successful applicants on this forum are taking maths, economics, and accounting for A2. So it should be fine I guess?

Also note LSE is introducing a new course in 2016 BSc in Finance with a A*AA requirement and Further Math is encouraged, You can apply for both

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3208235
I don't think LSE will know which subjects you'll carry on to A2 unless you only take 3 AS levels, so if you drop it at A2 it doesn't really make a difference, as LSE sees your AS grades to judge your application.

However, having two kinda soft AS subjects (accounting, sociology) will make an application less appealing to someone who offers, say, geography and chemistry instead.

Yeah that's true.

Agree with the second part.
Reply 15

My school councillors told me that sociology is a traditional subject and its not part of lse non-preffered subjects.
Im also planning to do a&f at lse after a levels. And I've chosen Physics, Maths, German and Geography. I emailed the university and they said that there weren't any definite subjects you needed for a&f however humanities subjects are advised. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
My school councillors told me that sociology is a traditional subject and its not part of lse non-preffered subjects.

It's all down to what the admission selectors at LSE think. It is indeed not on the LSE official list of non preferred subjects, but the list is reviewed regularly according to the website. I am not in any position to tell you if Sociology will be considered as a traditional subject, but that is not what I perceive it to be.
Reply 18
Original post by negatron
Im also planning to do a&f at lse after a levels. And I've chosen Physics, Maths, German and Geography. I emailed the university and they said that there weren't any definite subjects you needed for a&f however humanities subjects are advised. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ya, that's the reason why I'm considering taking sociology one of my subject since lse advises students with humanities subjects to apply for A&F. It also states that thecourse has a significant qualitative component and applications are encouraged from students who have taken essay-based subjects at A level. Sociology is an based subject as what I've seen.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/DepartmentalAdmissionsCriteria2016/accounting.aspx
(edited 9 years ago)
Ya, that's the reason why I'm considering taking sociology one of my subject since lse advises students with humanities subjects to apply for A&F. It also states that thecourse has a significant qualitative component and applications are encouraged from students who have taken essay-based subjects at A level. Sociology is an based subject as what I've seen.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/DepartmentalAdmissionsCriteria2016/accounting.aspx

Economics is an essay based, just do that.

I would definately pick Maths and econ, and then do whatever else you want (not non preferred subjects), however I would pick a science.

if you want to do accounting, you can, but I would probably recommend doing 5 AS-Levels in that case. (4 Preferred, and 1 non-preferred)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending