The Student Room Group

If You Were To Turn Back The Clock, Which A-Levels Would You Choose?

Scroll to see replies

May have chosen to do physics instead of music. A strong may though. I may do music as a hobby but I may not have even thought about increasing my aural and analytical skills had I not done the A level. I think Physics AS would have been better than Music A2, though, at least.
I'm doing History, R.E and French.. If I were to choose again I probably wouldn't do my blooming A Levels hehe :smile:
Reply 42
I'm currently in year 11 and I have picked

Maths
Politics
Philosophy
Economics

I am mostly unsure about philosophy and and maths, maths because Im not sure how hard it is at a level but I need it for economics at uni and philosophy because I don't know if history would compliment my other subjects better or not
( I chose computing, geography and law as my non compulsary GCSEs of that helps)
I did Maths, FM, Econ and Computing, I'd definitely not pick computing, the course was okay but the teacher was such an idiot beyond belief XD.
I'd probably replace History with something like Philosophy.
If i could, i'd swap Chemistry for Further Maths. Sadly i never got that option.
Did physics, chemistry, biology wish I had done french, english lit and latin
I would've chosen Latin instead of French. Otherwise, I'd keep my other A Levels :smile:
Politics instead of English literature
Instead of doing Sociology I would have done History. Instead of doing IT, I would have done Economics.
Original post by Nuclear Ghost
I chose Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry. I'm going to be doing Physics at University, so I'd stick with the first three, which are the three I do now in Year 13. Chemistry, however, I didn't enjoy so much, or do as well in as in the others, so in its place, I may have picked IT, Economics, or even English. In that order of preference.
As it says above, If You Were To Turn Back The Clock, Which A-Levels Would You Choose?
Posted from TSR Mobile

I would substitute Business for Philosophy, Sociology or Psychology.

Would have swapped English AS for Biology AS.
I do biology, chemistry and history at A2. I did physics at AS, would've swapped it for either maths, English lit or French. Have to do Biology and chemistry for uni, and history is a nice break from science.
Reply 52
Original post by hollie.p
I do biology, chemistry and history at A2. I did physics at AS, would've swapped it for either maths, English lit or French. Have to do Biology and chemistry for uni, and history is a nice break from science.

How is history at a- level?
Original post by Xctv
How is history at a- level?

I really like it because its such a contrast to the sciences. I do WJEC history so we do a British side and an international relations side, for the British side half of the mark is coursework (4,000 word essay) and the other half is an exam question on Peel in power. Then for the international relations side there's no coursework but two exam questions which are worth more marks, one question is on international relations pre and post World War Two and the other is on a Synoptic study of Russia (1895-1995). In all honesty A2 history in my experience is easier than As, at As we had to learn a lot of super different events so there were lots of different questions we could be asked about and the British exam was considerably longer because it was answering questions on sources. But at A2, international relations is a lot more broad, so we basically know the questions (for Russia) will be based on either the economy, war, social policies, and government under each Russian leader, and half of the British side is coursework which you have every chance of succeeding at. So yeah, I like it.
Reply 54
Original post by hollie.p
I really like it because its such a contrast to the sciences. I do WJEC history so we do a British side and an international relations side, for the British side half of the mark is coursework (4,000 word essay) and the other half is an exam question on Peel in power. Then for the international relations side there's no coursework but two exam questions which are worth more marks, one question is on international relations pre and post World War Two and the other is on a Synoptic study of Russia (1895-1995). In all honesty A2 history in my experience is easier than As, at As we had to learn a lot of super different events so there were lots of different questions we could be asked about and the British exam was considerably longer because it was answering questions on sources. But at A2, international relations is a lot more broad, so we basically know the questions (for Russia) will be based on either the economy, war, social policies, and government under each Russian leader, and half of the British side is coursework which you have every chance of succeeding at. So yeah, I like it.

Is it worth switching with philosophy? I do maths politics philosophy and economics, I didn't pick it because I didn't choose it at GCSE and chose geography instead (never doing geography for a level such a tedious subject) and i wasn't even sure they would let me do the course.
I chose:

Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing

If I could go back I would swap Further Maths for French. I don't know why I didn't pick French, I loved it at GCSE!
I did Biology, Maths, English Language and French last year

If I could change them I'd swap biology for psychology and french for textiles
I’m currently doing History, Media Studies, English Literature and ICT BTEC Level 3. I want to do a History Degree and thinking about it now a year later I probably would have done Government and Politics instead of ICT
Reply 58
I would have chosen Government and Politics, Philosophy, History and Economics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What I've done:
AS Maths
AS Further Maths
AS Physics
A2 Classical Civilisation
A2 Fine Art
A2 English Language
A2 Law

What I wish I had done:
A2 Law
A2 English Lang
A2 Classical Civilisation
AS History or AS English Lit

I wouldn't be doing a third year at sixth form if I had just picked them in the first place and I might've come out of sixth with better grades too! But I didn't, so I blew my shot at doing a law degree at a good uni. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest