The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Placement_stud
What numbers are these?

'Fashion' is quite broad a term so opportunities vary according to what kind of job one is referring to. But it is seldom a fashion grad can't find a job of any sort in the industry unless they decide that's not what they want to do or fixation on one career path. It may just mean that someone who studied for design ends up in PR instead.

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_fashion.htm

Many fashion grads do go into PR it seems, but what knowledge or skills a design degree would give you that is useful for PR I'm unsure.
You talk about "useless degrees", and their inability to get you jobs, but then again, do all "Scientific" jobs really need degrees? Many people managed just fine 50 years ago. My Granddad was a draughtsman engineer for a factory who didn't have a degree, he simply got an apprenticeship and managed just fine. My great uncle was also an Engineer working for a major car manufacturer who also didn't study a degree, and he managed brilliantly too, (though he was awarded an honorary degree at the end of his career).
The thing is, why should people be forced into studying subjects that they feel they either wouldn't enjoy, or simply aren't skilled in? If someone is a talented artist, writer or musician, why would they choose to to study Physics, Chemistry, Maths or Economics, if they feel those subjects aren't in their interests?! If every University student were to study a Science, I highly doubt there would be enough Science-based jobs to go to all graduates, making your argument invalid!
An arts degree can be very time consuming and challenging, so you have no right to speak down on them, at least from decent universities. Yes, I sort of agree with you within the context of what people might call "Mickey Mouse degrees" from many former Polys, i.e Golf Management, History of fashion or David Beckham studies, but that's surely what apprenticeships should be for? If no one were to ever study an art or humanity again, then the world would lose its history, mapping skills, and skilful novels, art and music. All in all, a world where people are dull, Science-obsessed drones.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by soanonymous
So you're saying only vocational subjects are worth having? Many academic subjects have transferable degrees that can open plenty of doors in lots of different industries.

I know, I referred to this in a following post. Personally it's more about what the candidate brings to the table and setting early career goals.
Original post by TurboCretin
http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_fashion.htm

Many fashion grads do go into PR it seems, but what knowledge or skills a design degree would give you that is useful for PR I'm unsure.

Knowledge about the fashion industry is broadly useful as it's quite particular. Design courses aren't purely practical. Plus 'retail' is misleading in this case...buying and merchandising classifies as retail, for example, but does not involve shop work so a large proportion of fashion grads will end up 'in retail' going down those pathways
I understand that people have varying interests and strengths in different areas, but some courses are quite ..... uhm ..... intriguing to say the least. Viking Studies? Adventure and Outdoor Management? Football Studies? Beauty Promotion?
Original post by BioStudentx
Not Stem or Oxbridge.

How are we going to find enough english, history, geography etc teachers for schools if we stop people from doing non stem subjects?

I don't think you've thought this through... to put it politely
it's not up to you babe.
Original post by AsandaLFC

Sorry?
I did Psych at MMU and have a very good job and future ahead, including a Masters degree at a Russell Group lined up. A lot of people are unemployed from doing degrees, yes, but you need to be a "fully rounded" person to secure a job. The university doesn't sit the interview or write the applications for you, it all comes from you. That goes for any university and any degree.
I know a lot of people like to take art, psychology, sociology, geography, history, English, economics at Unis like Manchester met. So my idea is that we should lower the amount we pay for uni but everyone has to pay - no matter how much their salary is after they have left uni. This could discourage people to do the pointless degrees above.

Geography, History, English, Economics and Psychology aren't pointless degrees. It is only your opinion that they are not useful.
OP is a retard
I know a lot of people like to take art, psychology, sociology, geography, history, English, economics at Unis like Manchester met. So my idea is that we should lower the amount we pay for uni but everyone has to pay - no matter how much their salary is after they have left uni. This could discourage people to do the pointless degrees above.

What an arrogant, narrow-minded dismissal.

Getting a degree, even if not "practical", is part of a student's journey that can lead to unexpected outcomes. Besides, even if there is heavy competition, someone has got to do the most interesting jobs, right?
Reply 92
I think a better question is

''How to stop idiots from making pointless threads that incorrectly judge degrees they cannot do?''

:biggrin:
No degrees are pointless
You're just very narrow minded and ignorant.
Not every body is built for studying Science and Medicine.
If No one studied English, How would you transmit the skills and knowledge of communication to students? How would politicians put across their point if they couldn't communicate properly?

If No one Studied Sociology, How would sociologists conduct experiments of the inequalities that exist in society?

If No one studied Psychology, Who would people go to for counselling? Someone suffering from an Eating disorder needs therapy! And people need relationship advice

So I suggest you keep your narrow minded, and uneducated opinion to yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spiritless98
No degrees are pointless
If No one studied English, How would you transmit the skills and knowledge of communication to students? How would politicians put across their point if they couldn't communicate properly?

If No one Studied Sociology, How would sociologists conduct experiments of the inequalities that exist in society?

If No one studied Psychology, Who would people go to for counselling? Someone suffering from an Eating disorder needs therapy! And people need relationship advice

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is exactly what OP intended to say. U dont have to go to university to learn English

Posted from TSR Mobile
No degrees are pointless

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is exactly what OP intended to say. U dont have to go to university to learn English , hence its a useless degree coz u dont have to go to uni to learn english.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe You know English Very Well
But Doing an English Degree Enhances your Skills even Further
So How is it pointless?
A Good Degree In English Proves that you have the skills needed, and help others as in students acquire these skills..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AsandaLFC
This is exactly what OP intended to say. U dont have to go to university to learn English , hence its a useless degree coz u dont have to go to uni to learn english.

You think an English degree is about ''learning English'' ?
Original post by frankieboy
You think an English degree is about ''learning English'' ?

Of course it is. U ****.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe You know English Very Well
But Doing an English Degree Enhances your Skills even Further
So How is it pointless?
A Good Degree In English Proves that you have the skills needed, and help others as in students acquire these skills..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh god... listen here im 2 years older than u, u know nothing n when u go to uni will probably make a mistake an study english

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending