The Student Room Group

Nursing...

TO all you student nurses out there. I have just started university (4th day so far...) and I am absoutley bricking it for when the course actually starts. :| Is the workload and course itself actually as hard as they are making it out to be, I just feel as if I am bringing myself down day by day as all I seem to be doing at the moment is worry. Any tips or anything are more than welcome. Just so it gives me some piece of mind haha!

Thank you, from a very worried soon to be student nurse!!!
Reply 1
Original post by Jaidemosss
TO all you student nurses out there. I have just started university (4th day so far...) and I am absoutley bricking it for when the course actually starts. :| Is the workload and course itself actually as hard as they are making it out to be, I just feel as if I am bringing myself down day by day as all I seem to be doing at the moment is worry. Any tips or anything are more than welcome. Just so it gives me some piece of mind haha!

The work load in first year is pretty chilled compared to second and third year but it's nothing you can't get through. Sometimes you do have absolutely loads to do, and it's rubbish, but you get it done.

Try and chill out and relax. Getting worked up now when you're not even on placement is not going to help. Part of being in the profession is learning coping strategies for stressful times that will work for you. You need to find out what is effective and start doing it.

It's really not that bad, there are plenty of people to support you. Would you like to elaborate on why you feel like that?

Amy
Third year StN

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Try not to worry too much! Just think of it as - you're going to start a course that will give you knowledge base and experience to do a job and profession that you love!

They know that everyone is from different experience levels and previous knowledge, so they'll ease you into it. Some people may be mature students that haven't been to school/college for years! So they know they need to take it slow for them, so that will help you too.

They don't want to lose people as soon as they've just started so there will be lots of extra help and support mechanisms you can contact to talk to, if the workload does get too much, but if you keep level-headed and take it step by step, day by day, you'll get on top of it all, and you'l be halfway through first year before you know it.

I hope you enjoy your first year into a wonderful caring profession, and most of all, enjoy yourself!:biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by rachaelftw
Some people may be mature students that haven't been to school/college for years! So they know they need to take it slow for them, so that will help you too.

HOW DARE YOU!

Being a mature student doesn't make us cognitively impaired! No allowances are made for how old you are, mainly because it's illegal (Equality Act 2010) and secondly, nursing is built on respect and diversity. It's who you are and what you can bring to the nursing table that counts.

For what it's worth, mature students have a wealth of life experience that enables them to be more empathetic with patients, they have better communication skills and are more dedicated academically.

I'm 42 and in my 2nd year. I'm currently averaging 73% on my assignments and I get nothing but excellent feedback from my placements. Am I bragging? Hell yeah. I waited 20 years to get to this point and I'm making the most of every opportunity that comes my way.

So don't write us "oldies" off. You might just find out how much of an asset we are to your cohort.

:angry:
By stating that mature students will automatically be more dedicated and better communicators arent you in yourself discriminating against the younger students?
Original post by roobie72
HOW DARE YOU!

Being a mature student doesn't make us cognitively impaired! No allowances are made for how old you are, mainly because it's illegal (Equality Act 2010) and secondly, nursing is built on respect and diversity. It's who you are and what you can bring to the nursing table that counts.

For what it's worth, mature students have a wealth of life experience that enables them to be more empathetic with patients, they have better communication skills and are more dedicated academically.

I'm 42 and in my 2nd year. I'm currently averaging 73% on my assignments and I get nothing but excellent feedback from my placements. Am I bragging? Hell yeah. I waited 20 years to get to this point and I'm making the most of every opportunity that comes my way.

So don't write us "oldies" off. You might just find out how much of an asset we are to your cohort.

:angry:

I didn't mean to offend you, as this seems to be what I have unintentionally done. I was genuinely using examples of people in my cohort who have said things such as "this introductory module was great for me as I've not written an academic assignment since I was back in college". I did not state that being a mature student makes you cognitively impaired? Or anything about allowances being made - I was simply trying to back up my point that people come into the course from all different backgrounds and experience levels like myself with no healthcare experience, straight out of college, quite naive and absolutely bricking it, whereas others may have worked as HCA's or in care homes etc and have years of experience, confidence and knowledge and such behind them.

The fact you have taken my point of reassuring this prospective nursing student about starting this course and understanding that they will start off easy due to everyone being at different knowledge and experience levels is absolutely ridiculous. No offence or dig at anyone old or young was intended so please do not take it upon yourself to quote me and try to make me back up my point when all I was saying was examples and literal quotes from my cohorts. I have nothing but respect for anyone entering a nursing degree and do not doubt that those with more experience may be empathetic and dedicated - but so are us "youngsters". So before having a go at me for apparently being offensive and prejudicial maybe you should go back and read your own judgemental approach to people's outlooks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jaidemosss

Aw hun! Starting a new course is bound to stir up stuff like this, it sounds totally normal.
Build your support networks, suss out what student support there is available on your course/at uni. Plan ahead as much as you can, start assignments good and early to avoid last minute stress, get enough rest, relax and enjoy. They wouldn't have awarded you a place if they didn't think you could do it. You'll be fine x
Well it can be a bit hectic especially if you have a few assignments in a short period of time for instance I had a 10min presentation 2 weeks ago and an essay in today, I also have an A&P exam next month. So I've found it stressful at times. That being said there is plenty of time when you don't have assignments you just need to be more organized with your time than me (not hard...),

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending