The Student Room Group

Medicine 2015 Entry Thread Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JMJ_1996
Liverpool or UEA? Totally undecided. I prefer liverpool as a place but I'm worried the course and student satisfaction isn't as good as UEA

UEA :wink:
Hey, I have a bit of a dilemma. I have 3 offers and am pretty certain about my firm choice but I need to choose between Leicester and Southampton for my insurance choice. Can anyone give any advice? Also, could anyone at either of these universities tell me some more about what life is like there?

Many Thanks
Original post by blissfully
UEA :wink:

I'm leaning towards UEA, persuade me!
Original post by Zoticus
Hey, I have a bit of a dilemma. I have 3 offers and am pretty certain about my firm choice but I need to choose between Leicester and Southampton for my insurance choice. Can anyone give any advice? Also, could anyone at either of these universities tell me some more about what life is like there?

Many Thanks

I am currently choosing between Nottingham and Southampton and so here are my pros and cons for Southampton...
Pros:
-Excellent medical research
-48th in the world for medicine
-Early patient contact
-Built in BMedSc
-Spiral curriculum
-"preparing for practise" phase of the cours
-Get to follow a baby for its first year
-Excellent medsoc and pastoral car

Cons:
-No dissection
-Teaching split between campus and hospital
-Hospital 40 min walk away therefore bus journey most of the time
-Bad reputation for anatomy and histology teaching

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 284
Thanks for that...I'm struggling to choose between my offers for Cardiff and Southampton..looking to possibly persue a surgical career...any insiders with pros and cons?

Thanks
Who do you email for rejection feedback? Admissions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by boods8897
Who do you email for rejection feedback? Admissions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yep :smile:
Can I get a job in the NHS during my gap year (I am currently doing my A Levels now)? All the jobs seem to be 'permanent' but I'm thinking of getting a job with the NHS for a few months...does anyone know if this is possible?
Original post by asdfghjkl10
Can I get a job in the NHS during my gap year (I am currently doing my A Levels now)? All the jobs seem to be 'permanent' but I'm thinking of getting a job with the NHS for a few months...does anyone know if this is possible?

Not sure :/ my mother has said I should apply to a health care agency and get health care assistant work so that could be something to look in to? (I'm not sure if I'll even be able to do it; just an idea at the moment). My friend also knows someone who became a phlebotomist for a year, so there are some temporary things available, they just may not be what you originally wanted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by boods8897
Not sure :/ my mother has said I should apply to a health care agency and get health care assistant work so that could be something to look in to? (I'm not sure if I'll even be able to do it; just an idea at the moment). My friend also knows someone who became a phlebotomist for a year, so there are some temporary things available, they just may not be what you originally wanted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah right - well thanks for the advice!
Reply 290
When I was looking for jobs there seemed to be loads of temporary HCA jobs around just not necessarily for the NHS

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really can't decide between Leicester and Nottingham :confused: any advice?
Original post by Shef2008
I really can't decide between Leicester and Nottingham :confused: any advice?

Hey! I was in the exact same situation, they're both so amazing and so similar that it's so hard to make a decision! What I did was I chose 5 areas that I felt were most important to me (like course structure, uni atmosphere, city, distance from family, etc.) and then I wrote down how they were different. So you get an idea of which is more suited towards you :smile:

I ended up firming Nottingham because overall for me, it had a good balance of what I was looking for, but Leicester is amaaazing I wish it was possible to chose both! Good luck and congratulations on both offers! :biggrin:
Original post by sharvarivadeyar
Hey! I was in the exact same situation, they're both so amazing and so similar that it's so hard to make a decision! What I did was I chose 5 areas that I felt were most important to me (like course structure, uni atmosphere, city, distance from family, etc.) and then I wrote down how they were different. So you get an idea of which is more suited towards you :smile:

I ended up firming Nottingham because overall for me, it had a good balance of what I was looking for, but Leicester is amaaazing I wish it was possible to chose both! Good luck and congratulations on both offers! :biggrin:

ahh thank you! thats really useful h:biggrin: i think i prefer nottingham too but I've heard leicester is really good and its closer to home and i have family there which might make it easier, its a tough choice!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Shef2008
ahh thank you! thats really useful h:biggrin: i think i prefer nottingham too but I've heard leicester is really good and its closer to home and i have family there which might make it easier, its a tough choice!

exactly! for me, I have family in Nottingham haha :tongue: let us know what you choose! good luck :biggrin:
Birmingham or Newcastle...? Any thoughts

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=1590485 I am currently a HCA as pemenant staff , all that means is that you aren't on a temprary contract
Is anyone else feeling really anxious/ doubtful about AS results? :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending