The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry- helping each other out!

Scroll to see replies

Hey everyone, I seem to be struggling on organic chem mainly learning the reactions and their standard conditions. Does anyone know of any resources that can help me learn them, or just have reasonably good notes on organic chem? My exam board is Ocr btw but I guess the content is mostly the same for all exam boards.

Thanks a lot
Original post by zhang-liao
Been revising :redface:

Yeah same, happen to know any good sites or resources for organic chem?
Hey i am an a2 student so if you guys have any question fire away!!!!!
Original post by johnnyboy1
Yeah same, happen to know any good sites or resources for organic chem?

I've got some notes for Organic Chemistry (mainly Edexcel Unit 2 so only Nucleophilic Sub, Alcohol reactions, Organic Tests, Halogenoalkanes, Ozone Depletion). Use Chemrevise and Chemguide for more information though, really helpful resources
I've got some notes for Organic Chemistry (mainly Edexcel Unit 2 so only Nucleophilic Sub, Alcohol reactions, Organic Tests, Halogenoalkanes, Ozone Depletion). Use Chemrevise and Chemguide for more information though, really helpful resources

Yeah, nucleophilic sub and alcohol reactions are the type of things I'm struggling with, but those websites look great! Thanks for the resources! :smile:
I agree chemguide and chemrevise are great resources for edexcel (and presumably all boards. One thing I would advise is that you use chemrevise unless you really want/need extremely high ums. Chemrevise is much more concise and says what you need to know for your spec whereas chemguide has much much more detail (a lot of which you aren't really expected to know). However if you learn better by understanding why things happen (like me) rather than just learning what happens chemguide will be much better for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, nucleophilic sub and alcohol reactions are the type of things I'm struggling with, but those websites look great! Thanks for the resources! :smile:

I'm not sure if you have to learn SN1 and SN2 for your particular specification but for Edexcel, you do have to though. Not sure about AQA or OCR or any other exam board
A quick question to ask, why can ammonia and hydrofloric acid only form 2 hydrogen bonds? Kind of confused since I thought ammonia could make 4 since it has 3 hydrogens and 1 lone pair :frown:

Help me :frown:
It is because of the ratio of the atoms. Ammonia has one lone pair which can hydrogen bond to one hydrogen from another ammonia (1st bond) and one of its hydrogen's is able to form a hydrogen bond with the lone pair on the N from another Ammonia (2nd).

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not sure if you have to learn SN1 and SN2 for your particular specification but for Edexcel, you do have to though. Not sure about AQA or OCR or any other exam board

I haven't come across SN1 or SN2 before so I'm guessing no. Thanks a whole lot for the notes tho i'll be sure to check them out. If you need any resources for biology or Unit 1 chem let me know. And btw that chemrevise site is superb! Thanks again!! :smile:
I haven't come across SN1 or SN2 before so I'm guessing no. Thanks a whole lot for the notes tho i'll be sure to check them out. If you need any resources for biology or Unit 1 chem let me know. And btw that chemrevise site is superb! Thanks again!! :smile:

You're welcome :smile:
Just asking, what board are you doing for Chemistry?
You're welcome :smile:
Just asking, what board are you doing for Chemistry?

I'm on OCR, you're on Edexcel right?
I'm on OCR, you're on Edexcel right?

Yep, hardly anyone here does Edexcel :redface:
I do edexcel as well. There isn't a huge amount of difference between edexcel and other courses apart from a few small things like having to know sn1 sn2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep, hardly anyone here does Edexcel :redface:

Really I thought quite a lot of people would be doing Edexcel. I did hear that it's a tough exam board tho but I guess if you understand the content it won't be too hard
Really I thought quite a lot of people would be doing Edexcel. I did hear that it's a tough exam board tho but I guess if you understand the content it won't be too hard

It is a tough exam board, we learn things in AS, AQA learn in A2 like Born-Haber cycles.

But I guess you're right though :redface:
They have a habit of putting fairly obscure questions in exams unfortunately (eg one year for 6 marks you had to circle the problems with a distillation set up and they were all tiny things like the thermometer bulb is too high). Its especially annoying as I ideally need at least a 95% ums average.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is a tough exam board, we learn things in AS, AQA learn in A2 like Born-Haber cycles.

But I guess you're right though :redface:

I've never heard of that lool, only Haber I remember is Haber process from last year. OCR is quite a pleasant exam board, although some questions may not be straightforward, it's still not that hard tbh
I've never heard of that lool, only Haber I remember is Haber process from last year. OCR is quite a pleasant exam board, although some questions may not be straightforward, it's still not that hard tbh

yeah :redface:
Edexcel Chemistry is just so difficult :redface:
Guess so, Edexcel do that a lot too though :frown:
Original post by samb1234
They have a habit of putting fairly obscure questions in exams unfortunately (eg one year for 6 marks you had to circle the problems with a distillation set up and they were all tiny things like the thermometer bulb is too high). Its especially annoying as I ideally need at least a 95% ums average.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow that does seem like a relatively onerous exam board but after hearing that thank God I'm doing OCR

Quick Reply

Latest