The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sammychloe
You need to research your information a bit better on a level three extended diploma for two years is the equivalent to three A levels especially in applied science and forensics the only two university's that won't except on this course completion are Oxford and Cambridge. I'd like to see you complete two years of forensics and then come back and tell people it's easier. A girl on my daughters course has been excepted one in 49 in the world to the royal vet collage on a scolorship early .

This thread is in the GCSE section and is about Level 2 BTECs - Data explained them very clearly in an earlier post.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Bulbasaur
Some of the subjects I am studying at GCSE next year are Btec, and they use the Pass/Merit/Distinction marks.

But what is the actual equivalents as grades?

I've heard that (at gcse) its:

Pass: C
Merit: B
Distinction: A*

But I've also heard people saying its this:

Distinction: A

Could someone just clear up what they actually are?

Thanks.

Try to aim for merits/distinctions passes in BTEC dont get you very far you cant do Alevels with a pass or even level 3 BTEC
I was referring to the post written by xander
not what other people were referring to even betech in applied science and forensics level two is not any easier then A levels it lays the foundations to go on to level three and then on to relevent degrees at university's shcools do not offer the same courses in this area and no where in this thread dose it refere to level two. Just fed up of people given out false information with reference to btechs including carees advisors and teachers just so studets stay on and do A levels just so there legue tables look better. I've fully research this information as a responsible parent to suport my daughter to follow her dreams. Remember knowledge is power. have spoken to university's and this information has been confirmed.
Btech level two is the equivalent to five GCSEs in one grade
Btech level two is the equivalent to five GCSEs in one grade

Level 2 BTEC Firsts come in different sizes which can be considered the equivalent of 1, 2 3 or 4 GCSEs depending on their size. As far as I am aware, no Level 2 BTEC is equivalent to 5 GCSEs.
even betech in applied science and forensics level two is not any easier then A levels

I'm sorry but this is just rubbish. To suggest that it is as easy to get a C at A level Chemistry as a Merit in a BTEC First is just daft. Very few sixth forms will accept you to take Science A levels if you have done Level 2 BTEC Science rather than GCSEs as you lack the knowledge and the skills to be able to cope with A levels, let alone be prepared to study a degree.

BTECs have their value and their uses but they are significantly less academic than the official GCE/GCSE equivalent and it is misleading to suggest otherwise. You can get into many courses at respectable universities with BTECs (although the drop out rate is significantly higher) but some courses also require at least one A level (e.g. Maths A level to go with an Engineering BTEC to read Engineering.)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by Compost
I'm sorry but this is just rubbish. To suggest that it is as easy to get a C at A level Chemistry as a Merit in a BTEC First is just daft. Very few sixth forms will accept you to take Science A levels if you have done Level 2 BTEC Science rather than GCSEs as you lack the knowledge and the skills to be able to cope with A levels, let alone be prepared to study a degree.

BTECs have their value and their uses but they are significantly less academic than the official GCE/GCSE equivalent and it is misleading to suggest otherwise. You can get into many courses at respectable universities with BTECs (although the drop out rate is significantly higher) but some courses also require at least one A level (e.g. Maths A level to go with an Engineering BTEC to read Engineering.)

Many unis also accept the units Maths and Further Maths for Engineering as a replacement for A level Maths to get onto Engineering degrees
Original post by yt7777
Many unis also accept the units Maths and Further Maths for Engineering as a replacement for A level Maths to get onto Engineering degrees

I stand corrected.
Reply 28
Original post by Compost
I stand corrected.

But you're right some do require Maths A level, but that's usually the really respected ones however a lot will still accept the BTEC units Maths/FM for Engineering units instead
Original post by yt7777

My daughters course in applied science and forensics level three extended diploma is equivalent to 280 ucas points to get on to degree she wants to do in forensic science. This information was confirmed to me by serveral universitys that I have spoken to. All I am pointing out is that people that do btechs are not any less intelegant then people that do A levels. My daughter obtained enought grades to stay on and do A levels but has chosen to take the roote of studying in the area most relevant to her future career options. This doesn't make her any less intelegant then her friends that are in six form.
Reply 30
My daughters course in applied science and forensics level three extended diploma is equivalent to 280 ucas points to get on to degree she wants to do in forensic science. This information was confirmed to me by serveral universitys that I have spoken to. All I am pointing out is that people that do btechs are not any less intelegant then people that do A levels. My daughter obtained enought grades to stay on and do A levels but has chosen to take the roote of studying in the area most relevant to her future career options. This doesn't make her any less intelegant then her friends that are in six form.

Where did that come from?

I understand I did an Extended Diploma in IT/Computing and im now at university studying Computer Science and I believe the BTEC was better preparation for my course than 3 A levels would've been

BTW it isn't just worth 280 UCAS point, the points that you obtain is relative to the grade you get, I got 420 from my extended diploma which is the highest grades of D*D*D* to get 280 points you need DMM
I'm sorry I meant 90 credits in first year of level three then 180 credits in year two witch is the extended diploma year. At parents eve whe were told she would defiantly hit the targets needed she starts level three this sept. If you look under applied science level three at west Herts collage it explains this. I'm sure it works out to over 500 ucas in total as they have said she would have no problem getting DDD grade. She has almost completed her level 2 and so far has been awarded 11 distinctions and five merits no passes she still has 10 assignments to be marked. In your opinion what grade would you say she is looking at for this year. Parents evening they said they are very happy with her progress she is very ingageing and didn't have a bad word to say bout her. I get confused with ucas and credit. All I do know is that they have said she will defientley get into uni. Am very proud mum. So nice seeing your children follow their dreams
Reply 32
I'm sorry I meant 90 credits in first year of level three then 180 credits in year two witch is the extended diploma year. At parents eve whe were told she would defiantly hit the targets needed she starts level three this sept. If you look under applied science level three at west Herts collage it explains this. I'm sure it works out to over 500 ucas in total as they have said she would have no problem getting DDD grade. She has almost completed her level 2 and so far has been awarded 11 distinctions and five merits no passes she still has 10 assignments to be marked. In your opinion what grade would you say she is looking at for this year. Parents evening they said they are very happy with her progress she is very ingageing and didn't have a bad word to say bout her. I get confused with ucas and credit. All I do know is that they have said she will defientley get into uni. Am very proud mum. So nice seeing your children follow their dreams

I understand how extended diploma works I did one for 2 years and made a spreadsheet that calculates grades based on how many passes, merits or distinctions you have.

The extended diploma (180 credits) is a 2 yr qualification (90 credits per year) and it is the equivalent of 3 A levels which can total a maximum of 420 UCAS (not 500) points I.e. D*D*D* (D* = A* = 140 points, 140*3 = 420)

however you can get a mixture of grades between P, M, D or D* so to reach 280 UCAS points she would need DMM (D = 120, M = 80, 120 + 80 + 80 = 280) the lowest grade is PPP (P = 40, 40*3 = 120 UCAS points)

However top unis don't go by UCAS points, they go by grades, so for a top uni she would probably need DDD or higher to get in.

What is she planning to study at uni?
Biomedical science or forensics she is not sure yet
Original post by Bulbasaur
Some of the subjects I am studying at GCSE next year are Btec, and they use the Pass/Merit/Distinction marks.

But what is the actual equivalents as grades?

I've heard that (at gcse) its:

Distinction: A*

But I've also heard people saying its this:

Could someone just clear up what they actually are?

Thanks.

A distinction is equivalent to an A grade at GCSE. If all your work is outstanding throughout you will be awarded a Distinction*, which is equivalent to an A*. If your BTEC level 2 Science or Engineering you will have to be awarded a distinction for each task bar one (which has to be at a merit)-then you'll be awarded a Distinction*.
Well at school i did Health and Social care and we was graded pass (p), merit (M) and distinction (D) or distinction* (D*)

Pass- C
Merit- B
Distinction- A
Distinction*- A*
Equivalence

Level 2- (GCSE)
Distinction*: A*

Level 3- (A Level)
Pass: E
Merit: C
Distinction*: A*
(edited 8 years ago)
What do certain grades add too though? I have two certificates for my ICT, one says DD and the other MM. So what are my two overall grades?
What is pass level 1 and pass level 2 equivalent to?
Reply 39
I'm BTEC science and I have got a P2 which is pass level 2 I was wondering does anyone know if that's a C or a B

Please reply thank you

Latest