The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 History - Germany 1900-45 - Monday 8th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CD223
Oh right! I would read ahead into the chaptor on wartime Germany if I were you :smile:

In terms of revision - just make sure you choose one controversy to revise. That may well be WW1 if it's easier for you.

Thanks, jeez, it's super long but it's good that I'm not the only one having to endure the pain! Good luck :smile:
Reply 201
Original post by angellayerr
Thanks, jeez, it's super long but it's good that I'm not the only one having to endure the pain! Good luck :smile:

Yeah it's a really long course :/ just finished making notes from the red Edexcel Martin Collier book. That's taken months to do!

Gonna try and condense my notes into flash cards before I go back after easter now :smile:

How are you revising the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone! my teacher reckons it's going to be either about power in the 2nd Reich or Hitler's rise to power- but not both (since they both sort of came up together last time in 2012). What do you think?
Did economic modernisation heighten existing social tensions 1900-19?

Did the Second reich undergo economic transformation 1900-19?

How would you structure an answer to these two questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 204
Original post by cartonama
Hi everyone! my teacher reckons it's going to be either about power in the 2nd Reich or Hitler's rise to power- but not both (since they both sort of came up together last time in 2012). What do you think?

Hmm. Both have already come up - it's so hard to predict. I would say Nazi consolidation of power and the Kaiser reich. Probably economic transformation :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 205
Original post by Nchomuzinda
Did economic modernisation heighten existing social tensions 1900-19?

Did the Second reich undergo economic transformation 1900-19?

How would you structure an answer to these two questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those two are along the lines of what I think might come up on the part A. I would struggle to come up with 3/4 points on those! What have you planned so far?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone got an example of 40/40 high quality level essay for WW1 controversy ? Or any other essays that are 30/30 for the part A?
Original post by CD223
Those two are along the lines of what I think might come up on the part A. I would struggle to come up with 3/4 points on those! What have you planned so far?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it will be too. I can find plenty of evidence of economic modernisation etc, but what points are there against that? How did economic modernisation not occur? Textbooks all seem to focus on evidence in favour of this, but not against at all!
Reply 208
Original post by WilliamSlim
Anyone got an example of 40/40 high quality level essay for WW1 controversy ? Or any other essays that are 30/30 for the part A?

Have you got the My Revision Notes guide? That has a good example of essays for each section at the end of each chapter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 209
Original post by tggfootymad
I think it will be too. I can find plenty of evidence of economic modernisation etc, but what points are there against that? How did economic modernisation not occur? Textbooks all seem to focus on evidence in favour of this, but not against at all!

Hmm but how would you group your points into factors?

All I can remember is the chemical industry, synthetic dyes, electrical goods etc all boomed, what else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 210
For economy and social STUDF 1900-19 you can always include war; for 1900-14 there seems to be less.

Honestly I'm just glad I'm not struggling here alone :biggrin:
Reply 211
Original post by cuppa
For economy and social STUDF 1900-19 you can always include war; for 1900-14 there seems to be less.

Honestly I'm just glad I'm not struggling here alone :biggrin:

Very true. I guess you can include war's impact on society and economy. At the same time, I can't come up with factors for those questions, only individual pieces of evidence. Have you got an idea?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm finding it hard to explain how it escalated tensions but this is what I have.

Urbanisation caused homelessness and overcrowding - developed social tensions - led to 3 million trade union members by 1914 - increased demands for constitutional reform

Uneven economic growth - proletariat were still under the dominion of the junker elite(they still held the most powerful positions) - increased social tensions - radicalisation - increased support for the SPD who demanded constitutional reform

Worldwide economic modernisation - cheaper US+ Canadian meat imports - threatened peasantry livelihood - developed social tensions - increased peasantry support for the Agrarian league - pressure on political system

Creation of new industries chemicals,steel,electricity - threatened livelihood of Mittesland - developed social tensions - unified the peasantry, conservatives and shopkeepers in the Mittesland league - more radical and stronger pressure groups

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Very true. I guess you can include war's impact on society and economy. At the same time, I can't come up with factors for those questions, only individual pieces of evidence. Have you got an idea?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, I agree. Maybe they wouldn't do an 'extent of economic modernisation' question then, it's a bit too hard!

in terms of groups of factors, though, I might do growth of 'old' industries, the emergence of new industries, and urbanisation. But, even then, I'd really really struggle with this essay. Maybe, as others are suggesting, they'd link it into social tensions. Maybe:

'By 1914 Germany was a divided society, politically and socially.' To what extent do you agree with this opinion?

And then maybe you could link in with an economic paragraph then, I'm tho really sure!!
Reply 214
I'm finding it hard to explain how it escalated tensions but this is what I have.

Urbanisation caused homelessness and overcrowding - developed social tensions - led to 3 million trade union members by 1914 - increased demands for constitutional reform

Uneven economic growth - proletariat were still under the dominion of the junker elite(they still held the most powerful positions) - increased social tensions - radicalisation - increased support for the SPD who demanded constitutional reform

Worldwide economic modernisation - cheaper US+ Canadian meat imports - threatened peasantry livelihood - developed social tensions - increased peasantry support for the Agrarian league - pressure on political system

Creation of new industries chemicals,steel,electricity - threatened livelihood of Mittesland - developed social tensions - unified the peasantry, conservatives and shopkeepers in the Mittesland league - more radical and stronger pressure groups

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those are very good points to include in an essay but I'm unsure how you would actually structure an essay for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 215
Original post by tggfootymad
Hmm, I agree. Maybe they wouldn't do an 'extent of economic modernisation' question then, it's a bit too hard!

in terms of groups of factors, though, I might do growth of 'old' industries, the emergence of new industries, and urbanisation. But, even then, I'd really really struggle with this essay. Maybe, as others are suggesting, they'd link it into social tensions. Maybe:

'By 1914 Germany was a divided society, politically and socially.' To what extent do you agree with this opinion?

And then maybe you could link in with an economic paragraph then, I'm tho really sure!!

Yeah it seems too narrow to ask of the economy. That's probably why mostly it is a case of answering whether there was democracy in Germany 1900-14, which is easier to answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Those are very good points to include in an essay but I'm unsure how you would actually structure an essay for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Neither do I :/ I don't know how to revise the Kaiser Reich, like you've said they probably wont ask a question on 'how economic modernisation escalated social tensions' since there's not a lot of discussion involved. But then again they've already asked 'was the Kaiser Reich a parliamentary democracy' which makes me think they wont again. How are you revising Unit 1?
Reply 217
Neither do I :/ I don't know how to revise the Kaiser Reich, like you've said they probably wont ask a question on 'how economic modernisation escalated social tensions' since there's not a lot of discussion involved. But then again they've already asked 'was the Kaiser Reich a parliamentary democracy' which makes me think they wont again. How are you revising Unit 1?

True! It's a difficult topic to have a scope of questions on other than where real power lay.

Hmm. I'm revising the whole course by making notes out of the Martin Collier Edexcel red textbook, then condensing these into flash cards and revising all of the course using these, with the My Revision Notes book.

I've finished making notes. Gonna now make loads of flash cards and revise from them with the revision guide as a supplementary resource.

How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hii, not sure if anyone's seen this already but it's a really useful revision guide...http://fhshistory.weebly.com/uploads/7/8/3/8/7838735/germanyrevisionguide.pdf
Reply 219
Original post by cartonama
Hii, not sure if anyone's seen this already but it's a really useful revision guide...http://fhshistory.weebly.com/uploads/7/8/3/8/7838735/germanyrevisionguide.pdf

Thanks for sharing! Will add this to the link in the first post.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest