The Student Room Group

TSR Electrical & Electronic Engineering (EEE) Super Thread

Scroll to see replies

I have an academic interview tomorrow at the university of Westminster for Electronic engineering. Any tips/advice for them? Particularly the academic side? Thanks!
Reply 101
Has anyone applied to Sheffield Hallam? I missed the UCAS deadline (like an idiot), but thankfully, I've still got a conditional from Hallam. I'm still waiting to hear back from the Uni of Sheff though, but I'm not very hopeful - they were pretty clear that they didn't even have to consider my application with me missing the deadline and all.
Accepted my offer for Liverpool Hope Electronic Engineering. Anyone else doing this course starting 2015?
Reply 103
Original post by OllieGCSEs
Hey, I'm studying Electronic Engineering at Southampton and would be happy to answer any questions you have. Going to applicant days would help with your decision making too, which you'll get invites for if you haven't had already (assuming you're a strong candidate!).

Thanks. I've got an applicant day at Southampton on Tuesday. Do you know what the one-to-one discussion with a member of the academic staff will be about?
Hey, I'm studying Electronic Engineering at Southampton and would be happy to answer any questions you have. Going to applicant days would help with your decision making too, which you'll get invites for if you haven't had already (assuming you're a strong candidate!).

Hi, I'm firming either Southampton, Manchester or Leeds and I'm a bit stuck :confused:, I've just found out that Southampton have introduced a Year in Industry in their EEE Meng course, have you taken this option or know anyone who has benefited from it? Also, are there any opportunities to go a uni abroad for a semester/year or do work placements abroad?

How have you found your experiences of the department, the uni overall, the campus and the surrounding city so far? Lastly, what were your other university choices and what made you decide on Southampton? Thanks! :smile:
Original post by limomo
Thanks. I've got an applicant day at Southampton on Tuesday. Do you know what the one-to-one discussion with a member of the academic staff will be about?

During my applicant day, all they did was ask me the basic questions (Why EE, why Southampton etc). It was very friendly, and I think it was just a formality, I reckon they'd already made the decision to give me an offer but wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. They asked if I had anything that I wanted to ask, and then that was pretty much it!

Original post by OhRickiursofine
Hi, I'm firming either Southampton, Manchester or Leeds and I'm a bit stuck :confused:, I've just found out that Southampton have introduced a Year in Industry in their EEE Meng course, have you taken this option or know anyone who has benefited from it? Also, are there any opportunities to go a uni abroad for a semester/year or do work placements abroad?

How have you found your experiences of the department, the uni overall, the campus and the surrounding city so far? Lastly, what were your other university choices and what made you decide on Southampton? Thanks! :smile:

Good choices! I didn't take the option I'm afraid, but I'm sure it's very beneficial. I think those things are all possible but you'd have to talk to certain people and find out for sure, I've not come across anyone who's doing those things but in fairness they usually apply to second years so maybe we'll be informed about it next year.

I've absolutely loved it all! Southampton's ECS department is it's best, it spends a lot of money and puts a lot of effort into making it very good for the students. They're renovating the whole computer room for next year so that's obviously great, putting in loads more machines. The labs are open until 11pm so you can always do work in them, the labs we do are very very helpful with our learning and we have so many of them, at least twice a week, sometimes more. We do have an incredible workload, doesn't mean you can't have a great social life as well though, you just need to manage your time very well. Campus is lovely, on-campus pub, cinema, bus station. The city is great, there's a huge shopping centre in the heart of the city and loads of clubs, a mix of high-quality ones and dirt cheap ones. My other choices were Manchester, Nottingham, Bath and Sheffield (originally Surrey but changed because I didn't want to go to a uni so close to home). I firmed Southampton because I believe it's got the best department of them all. I also love how so much attention is given to Electronics, whereas other unis have big engineering departments with EE inside it. Southampton offered me A*AA, a grade higher than the other unis, which led me to believe it attracted the cleverest candidates, and I wanted to be in the cleverest bunch of EE students!

You'll enjoy it wherever you go, try to find a student at Manchester/Leeds to find out their opinions, everyone will probably try to sell you their uni so obviously i'm a little biased at times!

Hope this helps, if you have further questions let me know.
During my applicant day, all they did was ask me the basic questions (Why EE, why Southampton etc). It was very friendly, and I think it was just a formality, I reckon they'd already made the decision to give me an offer but wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. They asked if I had anything that I wanted to ask, and then that was pretty much it!

Good choices! I didn't take the option I'm afraid, but I'm sure it's very beneficial. I think those things are all possible but you'd have to talk to certain people and find out for sure, I've not come across anyone who's doing those things but in fairness they usually apply to second years so maybe we'll be informed about it next year.

I've absolutely loved it all! Southampton's ECS department is it's best, it spends a lot of money and puts a lot of effort into making it very good for the students. They're renovating the whole computer room for next year so that's obviously great, putting in loads more machines. The labs are open until 11pm so you can always do work in them, the labs we do are very very helpful with our learning and we have so many of them, at least twice a week, sometimes more. We do have an incredible workload, doesn't mean you can't have a great social life as well though, you just need to manage your time very well. Campus is lovely, on-campus pub, cinema, bus station. The city is great, there's a huge shopping centre in the heart of the city and loads of clubs, a mix of high-quality ones and dirt cheap ones. My other choices were Manchester, Nottingham, Bath and Sheffield (originally Surrey but changed because I didn't want to go to a uni so close to home). I firmed Southampton because I believe it's got the best department of them all. I also love how so much attention is given to Electronics, whereas other unis have big engineering departments with EE inside it. Southampton offered me A*AA, a grade higher than the other unis, which led me to believe it attracted the cleverest candidates, and I wanted to be in the cleverest bunch of EE students!

You'll enjoy it wherever you go, try to find a student at Manchester/Leeds to find out their opinions, everyone will probably try to sell you their uni so obviously i'm a little biased at times!

Hope this helps, if you have further questions let me know.

That's great, thanks a lot!
Hey guys
Hey guys, Does it matter if an EEE course in not accredited? For example, the EE course in Surrey is not accredited, on the site they say that they're 'seeking' accreditation, does this affect getting a job or internship? Also considering the Surrey EEE course is one of the best in the UK, according to some league tables.
Electrical and Electronic Engineer graduate : D
Original post by McRite
Hey guys, Does it matter if an EEE course in not accredited? For example, the EE course in Surrey is not accredited, on the site they say that they're 'seeking' accreditation, does this affect getting a job or internship? Also considering the Surrey EEE course is one of the best in the UK, according to some league tables.

It matters if you want to go ahead and work towards professional qualifications like IEng or CEng (accredited by the IET). They do have a pdf which shows all the accredited degrees in the country across all universities.

Just depends on what you want to do after. If you go work for an engineering company, you will want you to become IEng/CEng accredited. For that your degree needs to be accredited.

If you go become a teacher or something or don't get an engineering role, it doesn't matter too much I think
Original post by Hana Zener Diode
It matters if you want to go ahead and work towards professional qualifications like IEng or CEng (accredited by the IET). They do have a pdf which shows all the accredited degrees in the country across all universities.

Just depends on what you want to do after. If you go work for an engineering company, you will want you to become IEng/CEng accredited. For that your degree needs to be accredited.

If you go become a teacher or something or don't get an engineering role, it doesn't matter too much I think

Hi, when did you graduate and from where? :smile:

How long did it take you to get a job (assuming you've got one), and is it good? Do you enjoy it / are you living comfortably?
I worked in a telly repair shop whilst i was at school (this was back in the days when you could make a living doing that). I later worked as a technician in a small R&D engineering firm for a few years before returning to uni to finish my Bachelors degree in EE. I found my time working as a tech to be a considerable advantage in lab courses, as i could throw circuits together in nothing flat - and, they worked the first time! Me mates were building and re-building them - attempting to get them to work, while i was on the way home, having completed the lab. After working as an engineer for a few years, i returned to grad school to do a MSEE. I found that in order to be trusted running a significant project, i really needed a masters degree. I did mine in communications engineering - estimation of signals in noise, digital modulation schemes, etc. I have encountered numerous students over the years that say: "Oh, i'm no good at maths, i hate it.. etc." Many of these students are female. I think that their first few maths teachers should have been washing cars for a living - rather than teaching. Also, gals are (i think) somewhat more inclined to think that - if they don't understand something - that it's their fault, rather than having a teacher that cannot teach. Sadly, the latter situation is NOT unknown - even in graduate school. As an undergraduate, you don't carry much weight with the uni. Grad students do however. I managed to complain to the dean about one adjunct professor - and ended up causing him to be "sacked". Actually, he deserved it. He was arrogant, and could not teach to boot. Cheers.
Original post by Rabbit2
I worked in a telly repair shop whilst i was at school (this was back in the days when you could make a living doing that). I later worked as a technician in a small R&D engineering firm for a few years before returning to uni to finish my Bachelors degree in EE. I found my time working as a tech to be a considerable advantage in lab courses, as i could throw circuits together in nothing flat - and, they worked the first time! Me mates were building and re-building them - attempting to get them to work, while i was on the way home, having completed the lab. After working as an engineer for a few years, i returned to grad school to do a MSEE. I found that in order to be trusted running a significant project, i really needed a masters degree. I did mine in communications engineering - estimation of signals in noise, digital modulation schemes, etc. I have encountered numerous students over the years that say: "Oh, i'm no good at maths, i hate it.. etc." Many of these students are female. I think that their first few maths teachers should have been washing cars for a living - rather than teaching. Also, gals are (i think) somewhat more inclined to think that - if they don't understand something - that it's their fault, rather than having a teacher that cannot teach. Sadly, the latter situation is NOT unknown - even in graduate school. As an undergraduate, you don't carry much weight with the uni. Grad students do however. I managed to complain to the dean about one adjunct professor - and ended up causing him to be "sacked". Actually, he deserved it. He was arrogant, and could not teach to boot. Cheers.

Interesting experience. :smile:

Sadly there are far too many teachers/lecturers/professors who cannot teach if their life depended on it. Universities should be much more proactive in monitoring teaching quality, as opposed to hiring staff with the most number of published papers/journals etc. which are meaningless when it comes to teaching.
There is truth in the adage: "Those who can, DO, those who cannot, TEACH. I was not a very good student until half way thru grad school - when i figured out how to "predict" exams. After that, the worst i did was to have 70% of the exam questions ahead of time. Several times i got 100%. What the unfortunate twit i mentioned forgot, was that i taped all of my lectures - because i cannot take shorthand. In order to keep up with the lecture - i had to play the tape back, and transcribe it to my notes. I played the tape for the dean. He was fascinated, and played thru the whole 20 minutes of this guy's rant. Afterwards, the dean thanked me, and i left. The next semester, the egyptian (Nagi Elyousfee by name), wasn't there. I asked the dean's secretary about him. She blushed and said (conspiratorially) OH!! DON'T mention him!!! That was spring semester - so they canned him in the middle of the year. Not a good thing to have on your resume'. In grad school here, nearly all of the assoc profs have day jobs. They are practising engineers during the day, and teach only at night. The same is not true of undergraduate profs. The best i encountered was people that consulted part time or during the summer. Most of them did not. When i graduated with my Bachelors in EE, i had more industrial experience than the head of the EE dept and his deputy combined. In fact, i had nearly twice as much. And it wasn't that much experience at all really. Cheers.
Reply 117
If homework help is welcome then I have a question on transients which I seem to be struggling with. I included an image. 1428770409880.jpg I have only covered transients with resistors within the circuit so I assume I only have to use "I = C * dv/dt". The answers I'm getting for question b are wrong according to the answer sheet which I also attached an image of. 1428770636437.jpg
Reply 118
Original post by Yume
If homework help is welcome then I have a question on transients which I seem to be struggling with. I included an image. 1428770409880.jpg I have only covered transients with resistors within the circuit so I assume I only have to use "I = C * dv/dt". The answers I'm getting for question b are wrong according to the answer sheet which I also attached an image of. 1428770636437.jpg

this is what i can think of:

i=Cdvdti= C\frac{dv}{dt}

iCdt=dv\int \frac{i}{C} dt = \int dv

V(t)=i(t)tCV(t) = \frac{i(t)t}{C}

then just sub in the values you're given and don't forget that i(t) has particular values at different times

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Rabbit2
There is truth in the adage: "Those who can, DO, those who cannot, TEACH. I was not a very good student until half way thru grad school - when i figured out how to "predict" exams. After that, the worst i did was to have 70% of the exam questions ahead of time. Several times i got 100%. What the unfortunate twit i mentioned forgot, was that i taped all of my lectures - because i cannot take shorthand. In order to keep up with the lecture - i had to play the tape back, and transcribe it to my notes. I played the tape for the dean. He was fascinated, and played thru the whole 20 minutes of this guy's rant. Afterwards, the dean thanked me, and i left. The next semester, the egyptian (Nagi Elyousfee by name), wasn't there. I asked the dean's secretary about him. She blushed and said (conspiratorially) OH!! DON'T mention him!!! That was spring semester - so they canned him in the middle of the year. Not a good thing to have on your resume'. In grad school here, nearly all of the assoc profs have day jobs. They are practising engineers during the day, and teach only at night. The same is not true of undergraduate profs. The best i encountered was people that consulted part time or during the summer. Most of them did not. When i graduated with my Bachelors in EE, i had more industrial experience than the head of the EE dept and his deputy combined. In fact, i had nearly twice as much. And it wasn't that much experience at all really. Cheers.

Haha, you sound like a total legend. :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending