The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dan205
Hoping I'm ready for this in time! Is anyone else retaking unit one as well and finding it a lot easier after doing more bio? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm retaking unit 1 but I'm screwed coz I haven't even started revising for it! I'm so scared :frown: I simply don't have time!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 81
Original post by Ruby_1696
I'm retaking unit 1 but I'm screwed coz I haven't even started revising for it! I'm so scared :frown: I simply don't have time!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just have a look through it, do a past paper or two and see how you feel then, honestly a lot of the stuff kinda up to the A2 modules, so hopefully it should all be okay :smile:
Original post by Dan205
Just have a look through it, do a past paper or two and see how you feel then, honestly a lot of the stuff kinda up to the A2 modules, so hopefully it should all be okay :smile:

Huuh I will try my best to do that then :smile: thanks :smile: can I be nosey and ask what u got last year for unit 1 to make u wanna repeat? I got a U lmao. But an A (full UMS) in unit 2 and an A in the isa. I swear I thought I did well in unit 1 and turns out I did the complete opposite :biggrin: whoops!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ppatience
Hi,so is refractory period the same as hyperpolarisation?

No, hyperpolarisation occurs during the refractory period.

So first the voltage gated sodium ion channels close, than the potassium ion channels open, however there is a slight 'overshoot' in the diffusion of potassium out of the membrane, causing the membrane to be more negative than the resting membrane potential (hyperpolarisation) . The sodium potassium pump actively trasnport 2 K ions in and 3 Na ions out of the membrane until the resting membrane potential is established.
Reply 84
Huuh I will try my best to do that then :smile: thanks :smile: can I be nosey and ask what u got last year for unit 1 to make u wanna repeat? I got a U lmao. But an A (full UMS) in unit 2 and an A in the isa. I swear I thought I did well in unit 1 and turns out I did the complete opposite :biggrin: whoops!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeahh good luck with it :smile: Yeahh nosy is fine haha I got a C, 65 ums , but got two marks off full ums in the other units, so I'm just trying to boost chances of getting an A really :tongue: hahaha it's always the way really :wink:
Original post by Dan205
Yeahh good luck with it :smile: Yeahh nosy is fine haha I got a C, 65 ums , but got two marks off full ums in the other units, so I'm just trying to boost chances of getting an A really :tongue: hahaha it's always the way really :wink:

Woaah! U still did awesome lol :biggrin: yeah there's no worries with u not getting an A!!!! Smart arse :wink: lol just messing. All I want is a B/C haha. Doubt I can even get that :/ oh well. Whatever happens happens...

Posted from TSR Mobile
can someone please help me with this question, its a 2 marker but i cant understand what it wants me to put, "Transcriptional factors are important in the synthesis of particular proteins.Describe how? Thank you
Reply 87
Woaah! U still did awesome lol :biggrin: yeah there's no worries with u not getting an A!!!! Smart arse :wink: lol just messing. All I want is a B/C haha. Doubt I can even get that :/ oh well. Whatever happens happens...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahaha cheers :wink: Ohhh I'm sure you'll be fine! :smile: what are you aiming to do next year?
Original post by djhodnett
can someone please help me with this question, its a 2 marker but i cant understand what it wants me to put, "Transcriptional factors are important in the synthesis of particular proteins.Describe how? Thank you

I guess it is asking you to describe how transcriptional factors can turn on/off certain genes in cells.
Original post by Dan205
Hahaha cheers :wink: Ohhh I'm sure you'll be fine! :smile: what are you aiming to do next year?

️hahaha hopefully :wink: Geography lol. Hbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
️hahaha hopefully :wink: Geography lol. Hbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where? :tongue: genetics at Liverpool hopefully :biggrin:
Original post by Dan205
Where? :tongue: genetics at Liverpool hopefully :biggrin:

Dayum u so smart boyyy :wink: haha not so sure yet. Either Bangor or Liverpool :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
Dayum u so smart boyyy :wink: haha not so sure yet. Either Bangor or Liverpool :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahahah cheers :wink: Yeahh come to Liverpool, such a great place :biggrin:
Original post by Dan205
Hahahah cheers :wink: Yeahh come to Liverpool, such a great place :biggrin:

No problemo :wink: yeaahhh LOVE Liverpool lol. Been once haha. I don't know what to choose haha :biggrin: oh well. Let's get exams over with and then see :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
No problemo :wink: yeaahhh LOVE Liverpool lol. Been once haha. I don't know what to choose haha :biggrin: oh well. Let's get exams over with and then see :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

D'ya wanna talk via message so we don't clog this forum up? :wink:
Hey, just wondered if someone could help answer a question I have for some biology coursework. I'm a mature student and biology is my weak area. it's about lung volumes but I'm not sure if I understand the question properly. Is there anyone who is good at biology/knows about respiration/lung volumes who I can private message who is willing to take a few mins to help?

Original post by djhodnett

It's basically just asking for the importance of transcriptional factors.
My guess would be:

Transcription needs transcription factors to begin

Transcription factors have a site that binds to a specific DNA site called the promoter region

When it binds, the region of DNA is stimulated to begin transcription

Transcription produces mRNA molecules which go on to be translated into polypeptides/proteins

Can't wait for this -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bradlydc
I guess it is asking you to describe how transcriptional factors can turn on/off certain genes in cells.

yeah.the whole thing about them going into the nucleus so DNA can bind onto them to switch on genes for transcription. Something like that I think
Can someone help me with this question?
How many DNA molecules will have been produced from one molecule of DNA after 6 complete cycles of PCR?
I think there's an equation or something but I have no idea!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending