The Student Room Group

A2 Biology OCR June 2015 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Guys can someone please give me a list of all the Key definitions we need to know for A2 Bio pleaaase :frown:
Original post by TopPhysio
Guys can someone please give me a list of all the Key definitions we need to know for A2 Bio pleaaase :frown:

WAY too many, my friend. Maybe start with each chapter before jumping into the whole lot
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
WAY too many, my friend. Maybe start with each chapter before jumping into the whole lot

Ahh man someone must have done it before and uploaded it.
Do you guys have any tips on how answer questions efficiently ? Because I'll overwrite e.g. writing a 6 mark answer for only 3 marks and some of the points I write down are totally irrevelant to the question and it seem to takes up time when I'm doing exam questions
Original post by TheLegalDealer
Do you guys have any tips on how answer questions efficiently ? Because I'll overwrite e.g. writing a 6 mark answer for only 3 marks and some of the points I write down are totally irrevelant to the question and it seem to takes up time when I'm doing exam questions

Try bullet points? I had a question in my mock about glycolysis worth 4 marks and I added more than I needed too but each bullet point was about 5-7 words long and it's also easier for the examiner to mark.

Can't help with the irrelevant stuff. .. I suffer from that too but I guess it's literally about breaking down the question into the right areas

Go through the spec and write down anythings from that, which is written as: 'define...'.

The definitions will either be online or in your textbook
Original post by tewas
have people started papers/practice questions because I'm still on revision of the Unit 5 modules? So worried that I'm not going to have enough time

Do papers as you go along. I personally haven't done any F215 papers, because it's my last exam and we haven't even finished being taught it...
But I've done a few F214 papers.

Also, we do past questions and topic tests as we go along at school. So I have that under my belt too I guess.

This is probably your best advice:

Original post by Cara_rose
Go through the spec and write down anythings from that, which is written as: 'define...'.

The definitions will either be online or in your textbook

But on top of that I'd recommend checking any past papers or question packs for any other definition questions that you may be unsure of that might not necessarily be in the specification but could help your understanding, e.g gene pool and reproductively isolated are two definition questions I had in some past paper questions that aren't necessarily stated to be known in the specification.

Alternatively, try looking at the revision resources on getrevising :smile:
Original post by smozsolution
It depends on the UMS in my coursework which isn't looking too good but ah well I'll think of something to do about it and just work incredibly hard so it'll pay off. Hopefully.

Ah sounds cool :smile: I'm hoping to get a job and then travel for a bit depending on funds.

Oh and thank you for correcting me. I wasn't convinced on that when I wrote it but forgot to check my notes to update it. Appreciate it :smile:

Awesome! Where are you thinking of travelling? And no problem, I was just revising that moments before so I thought I'd throw in my two cents :wink:

Original post by tewas
same! i am so motivated to get the grades for uni but then i open the book and think how am i ever going to learn this? and especially because the questions are practically all application :bricks:

THIS IS LITERALLY HOW I'M FEELING RIGHT NOW

i did a unit 5 paper today and had a mini break down
Original post by AnnekaChan173
Awesome! Where are you thinking of travelling? And no problem, I was just revising that moments before so I thought I'd throw in my two cents :wink:

Hopefully inter railing with my boyfriend around Europe :smile: I did have plans to go to Russia and potentially Borneo or Africa too but unfortunately money is going to be tight as I'll be saving for uni too :frown:

Your two cents were appreciated and bonus points for the fact that everyone benefits from it :biggrin:
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
The main problem I have with the exam is that it seems so straight forward when in reality it's not.

Some people are fortunate enough to have the same mind frame as the people who write up the mark scheme.
I am sadly not one of those people but hey, might as well give it everything you have

I have never related to something so much! *high five*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by smozsolution
Hopefully inter railing with my boyfriend around Europe :smile: I did have plans to go to Russia and potentially Borneo or Africa too but unfortunately money is going to be tight as I'll be saving for uni too :frown:

Your two cents were appreciated and bonus points for the fact that everyone benefits from it :biggrin:

That's awesome! I have a few friends going inter railing during the summer too, it's supposed to be great fun! Go for it I'd say, get some help from friends or family, since it's a year where you're able to do what you want and go crazy :')

It'll have to be TSR's little secret, or those grade boundaries aren't going to be in my favour... :') what are you applying for?
How many marks (roughly) above an A do you guys reckon an A* will be?

For both units...
Original post by Solarburst
How many marks (roughly) above an A do you guys reckon an A* will be?

For both units...

It's whatever the difference between the A and B is bro and full ums is the difference x2 add it on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 394
do we need to know about succession on a sand dune since the spec only mentions one example and there is the example about Surtsey, Iceland?
Original post by frozo123
It's whatever the difference between the A and B is bro and full ums is the difference x2 add it on

Posted from TSR Mobile

I take it that's a guidance? I got 55 last year in unit 1 and that was the difference x2 and I got 88/90

I suppose I'm being pedantic

Cheers buddy
Original post by Solarburst
I take it that's a guidance? I got 55 last year in unit 1 and that was the difference x2 and I got 88/90

I suppose I'm being pedantic

Cheers buddy

Well if you look at the ocr 2014 june boundaries, the a* was the difference between the A and the B added on to the A, then my teachers have said full ums would be the same x2 because they'll scale it linearly
Idk myself though so don't take my word for it aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AnnekaChan173
That's awesome! I have a few friends going inter railing during the summer too, it's supposed to be great fun! Go for it I'd say, get some help from friends or family, since it's a year where you're able to do what you want and go crazy :')

It'll have to be TSR's little secret, or those grade boundaries aren't going to be in my favour... :') what are you applying for?

I'm actually quite excited! A year off education where I can gain some independence and earn my own money, fun :smile:

Haha yes, that's true! I'm hoping to apply for Neuroscience (and pick up Russian whilst I'm doing my degree) so I need preferably AAA-AAB for the places I want to go so lots of hard work needed :s-smilie: how about you?
Original post by tewas
do we need to know about succession on a sand dune since the spec only mentions one example and there is the example about Surtsey, Iceland?

You only need to be able to outline succession in relation to one example. So you can choose which one you want to learn.
So I have the "exclusively endorsed" OCR revision book and I think it contradicts the textbook on this point! I'm so confused and my F215 mock is tomorrow. :sigh:

The point on the specification:
Describe the role of the brain and nervous system in coordinated muscular movement.

The textbook stresses that coordinated motor responses involve the cerebellum:
The conscious decision to move voluntarily is initiated in the cerebellum. Neurones from the cerebellum carry impulses to the motor areas so that motor output to the effectors can be adjusted appropriately.

But the revision book only talks about the areas of the cerebrum:
Sensory areas send impulses to association areas. Impulses then pass to motor areas, and from there to effectors.

What am I missing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending