The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cant_think_of_name
Anyone done any draft predictions lately? I'm struggling because there aren't that many top level talents beyond the top 10-15. It's difficult to know who to pick when you've got like 4 O-linemen who are all graded fairly similar. Same for cornerbacks. The other major question is where Mariota goes, as I think that dictates the rest of the draft really. I have him going to the Titans, currently.

I firmly believe someone will trade up for Mariota. There's a lot going around about the Chargers trading away Rivers for the no.2 pick but I can't see that one happening. Browns would be a contender.
Original post by Scott129
I firmly believe someone will trade up for Mariota. There's a lot going around about the Chargers trading away Rivers for the no.2 pick but I can't see that one happening. Browns would be a contender.

BAHAHAHAHAHA. I keep hearing that rumor, but it's a load of rubbish. Rivers just wants to know that the Chargers will stay in San Diego. Which they will. They've been in San Diego since all but one season of their existence. Makes no sense for them to move, and they won't. St. Louis is most likely to move.

If they Chargers do that...they would be very stupid indeed. Rivers hasn't had an o-line or a running game, or top notch recievers to throw to. I fear the Chargers because of their defense yes, but because of Phillip Rivers. He's got a great release, excellent toughness (played most of the season with a Broken rib or something iirc), is NFL proven, and is IN HIS PRIME.

Maybe the Browns will trade with Atlanta to get Mariota, but if they did that, if I'm Mariota, I'd 'retire' immediately, or go the Elway route. The Browns are a graveyard for promising QBs and if they give up on Manziel after one season, it will be a travesty -- and I say that as someone who hates Manziel. It would be unprecedented. The Browns should be banned from taking any QB in the first round, to be honest.
Disagree about Cleveland, recently they have been bad at drafting QBs, not necessarily developing them. If they had made intelligent choices like getting Tannehill or Bridgewater I honestly don't believe they would be in this mess. I see nothing wrong with getting rid of Manziel. If someone with less hype/worth a lower pick had done what he's done with his college tape it would just be a no brainer, maybe use him as a camp body then likely get rid of him at first cuts or even just release him now. Yes they'd be giving up on a first round pick but that pick is already a sunk cost. If Mariota is finally a legit starter instead of a first round reach, then of course they should try and get him because when should they do it if not now?

Interesting OL class since from what I'm reading the best OTs are all maulers/potential guards like Scherff. Carolina is picking at 25 and will be fine with missing out on those guys because they really need a left tackle who can start on week 1. I read about DJ Humphries being good but what little I've seen I'm not sure if he has the upper body strength, so he's almost similar to Jonathan Martin in the respect that his hands get knocked away too easily and his punch is more of a catch. I think Carolina would be pretty thrilled if TJ Clemmings fell to them but I'm not sure if that's remotely likely. Maybe they would move up and get someone since 25th overall is not a great place to get an instant starter. Scherff will upgrade any top 5 team since you don't get to pick in the top 5 unless you could be improved by someone like Scherff. Jags make sense. Honestly I wouldn't be shocked if two tackles went between the Jags, Jets and Washington. The top available tackles are actually ideal for the Jets to draft if they don't like/can't get Mariota, because they have a pretty competent but aging current OL so they would be happy kicking the guy inside for a year and then moving them outside.
Also you guys should check out my next level politics analysis. I'm posting it here because you're the only ones that will actually understand any of the jokes. http://goodreviewslol.com/2015/04/03/leader-debate-power-rankings/
Original post by SmashConcept
Also you guys should check out my next level politics analysis. I'm posting it here because you're the only ones that will actually understand any of the jokes. http://goodreviewslol.com/2015/04/03/leader-debate-power-rankings/

Hahahahaha.

Disagree about Cleveland, recently they have been bad at drafting QBs, not necessarily developing them. If they had made intelligent choices like getting Tannehill or Bridgewater I honestly don't believe they would be in this mess. I see nothing wrong with getting rid of Manziel. If someone with less hype/worth a lower pick had done what he's done with his college tape it would just be a no brainer, maybe use him as a camp body then likely get rid of him at first cuts or even just release him now. Yes they'd be giving up on a first round pick but that pick is already a sunk cost. If Mariota is finally a legit starter instead of a first round reach, then of course they should try and get him because when should they do it if not now?

Interesting OL class since from what I'm reading the best OTs are all maulers/potential guards like Scherff. Carolina is picking at 25 and will be fine with missing out on those guys because they really need a left tackle who can start on week 1. I read about DJ Humphries being good but what little I've seen I'm not sure if he has the upper body strength, so he's almost similar to Jonathan Martin in the respect that his hands get knocked away too easily and his punch is more of a catch. I think Carolina would be pretty thrilled if TJ Clemmings fell to them but I'm not sure if that's remotely likely. Maybe they would move up and get someone since 25th overall is not a great place to get an instant starter. Scherff will upgrade any top 5 team since you don't get to pick in the top 5 unless you could be improved by someone like Scherff. Jags make sense. Honestly I wouldn't be shocked if two tackles went between the Jags, Jets and Washington. The top available tackles are actually ideal for the Jets to draft if they don't like/can't get Mariota, because they have a pretty competent but aging current OL so they would be happy kicking the guy inside for a year and then moving them outside.

The thing is, the constant changing offensive coordinators and toxic lack of continuity in the coaching staff just makes worse the Browns' bad choices in QBs. I don't neccessarily think that they have picked up bad QBs, but with their chop-and-change approach to QB play, there's just no way any QB they get can succeed. Take Weeden. Yes he was terrible. [still is...], but he was an East-Coast, big arm, vertical offense type, who was drafted to fit in a west coast system, and then when the Browns got Chud in, in a vertical system suited to his strengths, he never played.

I don't like Manziel, never have...but the Browns at least owe it to their first round pick to see what they've got. If Mariota falls sure, that would be a good pick up for them, and they can see what they've got, but they've made their bed, and need to lie it it, and address their other needs on offense, and on defense as well. They need a nickel/no.2 corner now, NT, 3-4DE, EDGE, as well as WR1, WR2, WR4, and a RB1,

Good shout regarding the Jets and Sherff, but, I think they'll go with Vic Beasley. New defensively minded head coach, and a desperate need to improve pass rush. Best tape from college, best athleticism, and a good weight for a 3-4 OLB. That's if he's available, mind...
I have them taking Shane Ray because I don't think Beasley lasts long enough to go to the Jets

In regards to trading for Mariota, there are (by my estimations) 10 teams that could/would want Mariota.

They fall into three categories - teams with an aging/injury-ridden QB who want a younger, healthier option (New Orleans, Philadelphia, San Diego), teams with major questions at QB (Cleveland, New York [Jets], Washington, Houston, Buffalo) and the teams in between those two situations (Chicago, St. Louis).

Buffalo don't have enough capital to trade up to 2 for Mariota.
Houston probably has just enough but I don't think they're willing to give up on Mallett just for another QB who no-one is totally certain about.
Chicago have too many holes to give up picks and Cutler has too big a contract to be given up on just yet.
St. Louis should (and will, I think) stick with Foles.

For the first three teams (Philly, NO and SD) to trade up they'd have to trade the QB they have and then some to get to 2 and be sure of getting Mariota. New Orleans and San Diego are too weak elsewhere to give up a franchise QB and high draft picks, especially when Mariota is far from a sure thing.

So we come down to Philadelphia, Cleveland, NYJ and Washington.

I think Washington is sticking with RGIII.

Cleveland should stick it out, imo, and I actually think they will. I know it's hardly ideal but they've had so much trouble with QBs that I think they address some other issues (WR, NT) in the first round. They have a good O-Line and a solid running game, so if Manziel/McCown comes into that with a DeVante Parker/Kevin White then I think they might be okay, at least.

NYJ stick with Smith, they've upgraded the offense + defense so I think they give him one more chance - he's not done yet.

So then we have Philly. They're probably the only team that has a good enough squad and draft picks to risk it; it's also the team where Mariota fits best. However... not sure Chip is willing to go all the way up to 2 when he has Sam Bradford at home.

If he drops below 2, that's when things change, but I think Whisenhunt knows the value of a franchise QB and takes Mariota then and there.

TL;DR ---> Titans get Mariota.

The trades in the first round that I see happening are: Philly up to 15 to get Landon Collins, San Diego up to 13 for Todd Gurley.
(edited 9 years ago)
If I were the jets I would not feel as desperate for a pass rusher as people are making out. They just don't need a number 1 guy getting 18 sacks because their sack and hurry total will be spread among Richardson, Wilkerson, random coverage sacks and outside linebackers, even if the olbs are relatively weak. With that in mind, I think Coples is someone they can stick with even though he has underperformed, and they can get someone in round 2 or free agency to compete.

Also bear in mind the new management will be aware of the frustration the fans suffer when they pick a defender every year and never show up with an offense.

I think their needs are

1. Franchise QB if available
2. Best player available
3. Move down and get more picks to address multiple weaknesses if the price is right and there is value

Titans seem to like Mett who played ok, but I guess they will ditch him for someone like Mariota. Philly makes a lot of sense to trade Bradford because why would you hang your career in the balance on his knees if you're a still unproven nfl coach with sole responsibility over personnel. That's a move that could seriously damage Chip's legacy. Agree that Cleveland now has too many holes to mortgage the future, but the bills are strong all over and could feel good about giving up future picks. I guess the Titans look likely, which is boring lol. No wonder it feels like nobody has talked about it much.
(edited 9 years ago)
Actually was thinking about this in the shower and the main thought I'm having now is, if Chip isn't comfortable with Bradford then why would anyone else be? So that trade doesn't make sense. Browns don't have enough so to get to #2 Bills are my only maybe.
I think it is pretty much set in stone that Winston will be a Buc. Not sure how I feel about it.

Everything after the #1 pick is up in the air really. I think Mariota will go #2 but whether to the titans or not idk.
The bottom of the first round is gonna be a ****show. I think pretty much every team will be looking to trade down, it's just so difficult after about 20-25 players to see them as first rounders.

Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota

Amari Cooper
DeVante Parker
Kevin White

Melvin Gordon
Todd Gurley

Andrus Peat
La'el Collins
Brandon Scherff
TJ Clemmings

Leonard Williams
Danny Shelton
Malcolm Brown

Vic Beasley
Shane Ray
Dante Fowler Jr.
Bud Dupree
Randy Gregory (possibly)

Trae Waynes
Ronald Darby
Jalen Collins
Kevin Johnson (possibly)

Would be my 20 or so (grouped by position).

Randy Gregory is dropping like a stone.
Rewatching the 2013 Seahawks season (can't bring myself to for the 2014 season, knowing how it ends).

Some things I have noted:

Russell Wilson is a great quarterback. He doesn't have the stats, physical stature etc. but he gives us every chance to put a W up on the board, every time he plays. Never lets a mistake get to him, always competes, and pulls throught right when you need him.

Doug Baldwin is clutch AF. Say what you want about him as a complete receiver, but the amount of clutch plays from him is ridiculous.

Percy Harvin was a huge mistake, and we should have kept Golden Tate and trade Harvin away.
The bottom of the first round is gonna be a ****show. I think pretty much every team will be looking to trade down, it's just so difficult after about 20-25 players to see them as first rounders.

Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota

Amari Cooper
DeVante Parker
Kevin White

Melvin Gordon
Todd Gurley

Andrus Peat
La'el Collins
Brandon Scherff
TJ Clemmings

Leonard Williams
Danny Shelton
Malcolm Brown

Vic Beasley
Shane Ray
Dante Fowler Jr.
Bud Dupree
Randy Gregory (possibly)

Trae Waynes
Ronald Darby
Jalen Collins
Kevin Johnson (possibly)

Would be my 20 or so (grouped by position).

Randy Gregory is dropping like a stone.

First Round Big Board
Quarterbacks:
1. Marcus Mariota.
2. Jameis Winston.

Winston is hands down the best QB, but with a second woman linked with him and the rape allegations, he slides, even considering Mariota's lack of experience playing under center.

Wide Recievers:
1. Amari Cooper
2. Kevin White
3. Devante Parker
4. Jalean Strong
5. Nelson Agholor
6. Phillip Dorsett.

It's a great WR class, and almost every team needs a WR, and it's possible all of these will be taken in the first round. I don't quite understand how Devante Parker has seperated so much from Jaelen Strong. Strong is a ferocious blocker, and has the size, speed and hands to be a difference maker, and as such, is a first round talent. Agholor is a very nice route runner, and has great hands and speed, but I see him and Dorsett as fast risers. Dorsett is an excellent route runner.

Running Backs:
1. Todd Gurley
2. Melvin Gordon
3. Jay Ajayi

I'd happily take all three running backs in the first round. Jay Ajayi has comparisons with Lynch for a reason, and he's well built, and can catch the ball well.

Offensive Tackles:
1. Andrus Peat
2. Ereck Flowers
3. La'el Collins
4. DJ Humphries
5. Cedric Ogbuehi
6. Jake Fisher
7. TJ Clemmings

Offensive Guards:
1. Brandon Scherff
2. La'el Collins.

Defensive Tackle/Nose Tackle
1. Leonard Williams
2. Danny Shelton
3. Malcom Smith
4. Eddie Goldman
4. Jordan Phillips

Eddie Goldman and Jordan Phillips represent the prototypical nose tackle, and have excellent athleticism for the position, especially considering their size.

3-4 Outside Linebackers:
1. Vic Beasley
2. Shane Ray
3. Dante Fowler Jr.
4. Bud Dupree
5. Eli Harold
=6. Randy Gregory
=6. Danielle Hunter

Vic Beasley is a great player. Shane Ray has an explosive first step, which is very important for a pass rusher, and is a plus athlete for the position. After those two, a lot of the players are raw. Dante Fowler Jr. and Bud Dupree have both been used in the 'joker' role, but have the size and the athleticism to do well enough as a 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 end. Eli Harold should be a first round pick, especially with a lot of teams in play for an OLB at that stage, and has proven to be a compentent pass rusher in college. Randy Gregory, once a top-5 pick will be lucky to stay in the first round, but a team in need of pass rusher will take a chance in the first. Danielle Hunter, has great length, good size, and elite athleticism, but, although he shows a nose to get to the football, he needs a lot of work on his first step. Still, he can go anywhere from the late first to the middle of the second.

3-4 Defensive Ends
1. Leonard Williams
2. Mario Edwards Jr.
3. Marcus Hardison

Mario Edwards Jr. should still be a first rounder. He played heavier in college and has slimmed down, but after Leonard Williams, a team which needs a 3-4 end, would do well to consider him. He's probably a little undersized now, but he has the ability to fill out his frame, and has had a great career for FSU. I like Marcus Hardison a lot as a player, and he is very much in the same mould as Leonard Williams. He'll probably be taken in the second round, but he has the talent and elite athleticism to be taken earlier. Looking at some of his tape, he only made play-after-play for Arizona State.

4-3 Defensive Ends
1. Dante Fowler Jr.
2. Bud Dupree
3. Mario Edwards Jr.

Cornerbacks:
1. Trae Waynes
=2. Jalen Collins
=2. Marcus Peters
4. Kevin Johnson
5. Ronald Darby
6. Eric Rowe

Marcus Peters had a good enough combine, and is a top-ten pick on talent alone. However, he does have off field issues and needs to be kept emotionally in check. Most of them do seem to be arising from a poor relationship with Chris Petersen however. Jalen Collins has limited experience at cornerback, but he's a plus athlete. Kevin Johnson was one of the better corners in the ACC, and had enough size and length that teams look for in the position, so I think he has done enough to solidify his first round status. Ronald Darby had a great combine. He's not as good on the field as PJ Williams, but he's a physical corner, and was a perfect complement to PJ Williams. Eric Rowe is the top FS prospect, in my opinion, but he should also be in play for teams looking at a cornerback, as he has great size for the position.

PJ Williams drops out of this conversation due to his DUI arrest. Teams will put him under the microscope, and they won't like what they find off field. That's a shame, because he's a big, physical corner (even too physical) with excellent instincts, the desired size and length for the position. Now, like Gregory, he'll slide.

Safeties:
1. Landon Collins
2. Eric Rowe
3. Shaq Thompson

I see Shaq Thompson more as a SS, than a 4-3 OLB, and he does have excellent athleticism. A team could take him to be a 4-3 OLB, but he's undersized to be a linebacker.
I think Scherff gets drafted as a tackle, maybe first one off. Disagree with the boards saying Humphries is better than Clemmings.
Rewatching the 2013 Seahawks season (can't bring myself to for the 2014 season, knowing how it ends).

Some things I have noted:

Russell Wilson is a great quarterback. He doesn't have the stats, physical stature etc. but he gives us every chance to put a W up on the board, every time he plays. Never lets a mistake get to him, always competes, and pulls throught right when you need him.

Doug Baldwin is clutch AF. Say what you want about him as a complete receiver, but the amount of clutch plays from him is ridiculous.

Percy Harvin was a huge mistake, and we should have kept Golden Tate and trade Harvin away.

Seattle do have an underrated receiving corps, but with the way Seattle's offense is built (focus on maximizing explosive plays) a lot of the big plays come on scrambles. The recievers do very well in the scramble drill and help out Russell Wilson, a lot.

Percy Harvin wasn't a mistake, but he was really overplayed for making the play which won Seattle the super-bowl. Returning the one of thhhe few Prater kickoffs that didn't go for a touchback, for a touchdown, broke Denver in that game, after half-time. At half-time, it would have been very difficult, especially with the way both teams were playing of course, but a three-and-out, would have meant that a touchdown drive would had left it a two score game. After making it a four score game, was no coming back after that.
I think Scherff gets drafted as a tackle, maybe first one off. Disagree with the boards saying Humphries is better than Clemmings.

It depends on scheme. I still think La'el Collins and Brandon Scherff would be elite at guard, but they could well play tackle too.

I think Clemmings is too raw, but he has tremendous upside. Humphries could be an option, especially for a team running ZBS.
I don't think run blocking has much to do with it. In the NFL the first 5 tackle characteristics you look for are all how they do in pass protection. Nobody wants a system tackle.

Absolutely disagree. The guy's 300+ pounds and not that great at pass protection!

He doesn't get past the Rams at 10, for me - and that's if the Giants don't nab him at 9. He'll be a guard for both of those teams.
Original post by jammy4041
First Round Big Board
Quarterbacks:
1. Marcus Mariota.
2. Jameis Winston.

Winston is hands down the best QB, but with a second woman linked with him and the rape allegations, he slides, even considering Mariota's lack of experience playing under center.

Wide Recievers:
1. Amari Cooper
2. Kevin White
3. Devante Parker
4. Jalean Strong
5. Nelson Agholor
6. Phillip Dorsett.

It's a great WR class, and almost every team needs a WR, and it's possible all of these will be taken in the first round. I don't quite understand how Devante Parker has seperated so much from Jaelen Strong. Strong is a ferocious blocker, and has the size, speed and hands to be a difference maker, and as such, is a first round talent. Agholor is a very nice route runner, and has great hands and speed, but I see him and Dorsett as fast risers. Dorsett is an excellent route runner.

Running Backs:
1. Todd Gurley
2. Melvin Gordon
3. Jay Ajayi

I'd happily take all three running backs in the first round. Jay Ajayi has comparisons with Lynch for a reason, and he's well built, and can catch the ball well.

Offensive Tackles:
1. Andrus Peat
2. Ereck Flowers
3. La'el Collins
4. DJ Humphries
5. Cedric Ogbuehi
6. Jake Fisher
7. TJ Clemmings

Offensive Guards:
1. Brandon Scherff
2. La'el Collins.

Defensive Tackle/Nose Tackle
1. Leonard Williams
2. Danny Shelton
3. Malcom Smith
4. Eddie Goldman
4. Jordan Phillips

Eddie Goldman and Jordan Phillips represent the prototypical nose tackle, and have excellent athleticism for the position, especially considering their size.

3-4 Outside Linebackers:
1. Vic Beasley
2. Shane Ray
3. Dante Fowler Jr.
4. Bud Dupree
5. Eli Harold
=6. Randy Gregory
=6. Danielle Hunter

Vic Beasley is a great player. Shane Ray has an explosive first step, which is very important for a pass rusher, and is a plus athlete for the position. After those two, a lot of the players are raw. Dante Fowler Jr. and Bud Dupree have both been used in the 'joker' role, but have the size and the athleticism to do well enough as a 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 end. Eli Harold should be a first round pick, especially with a lot of teams in play for an OLB at that stage, and has proven to be a compentent pass rusher in college. Randy Gregory, once a top-5 pick will be lucky to stay in the first round, but a team in need of pass rusher will take a chance in the first. Danielle Hunter, has great length, good size, and elite athleticism, but, although he shows a nose to get to the football, he needs a lot of work on his first step. Still, he can go anywhere from the late first to the middle of the second.

3-4 Defensive Ends
1. Leonard Williams
2. Mario Edwards Jr.
3. Marcus Hardison

Mario Edwards Jr. should still be a first rounder. He played heavier in college and has slimmed down, but after Leonard Williams, a team which needs a 3-4 end, would do well to consider him. He's probably a little undersized now, but he has the ability to fill out his frame, and has had a great career for FSU. I like Marcus Hardison a lot as a player, and he is very much in the same mould as Leonard Williams. He'll probably be taken in the second round, but he has the talent and elite athleticism to be taken earlier. Looking at some of his tape, he only made play-after-play for Arizona State.

4-3 Defensive Ends
1. Dante Fowler Jr.
2. Bud Dupree
3. Mario Edwards Jr.

Cornerbacks:
1. Trae Waynes
=2. Jalen Collins
=2. Marcus Peters
4. Kevin Johnson
5. Ronald Darby
6. Eric Rowe

Marcus Peters had a good enough combine, and is a top-ten pick on talent alone. However, he does have off field issues and needs to be kept emotionally in check. Most of them do seem to be arising from a poor relationship with Chris Petersen however. Jalen Collins has limited experience at cornerback, but he's a plus athlete. Kevin Johnson was one of the better corners in the ACC, and had enough size and length that teams look for in the position, so I think he has done enough to solidify his first round status. Ronald Darby had a great combine. He's not as good on the field as PJ Williams, but he's a physical corner, and was a perfect complement to PJ Williams. Eric Rowe is the top FS prospect, in my opinion, but he should also be in play for teams looking at a cornerback, as he has great size for the position.

PJ Williams drops out of this conversation due to his DUI arrest. Teams will put him under the microscope, and they won't like what they find off field. That's a shame, because he's a big, physical corner (even too physical) with excellent instincts, the desired size and length for the position. Now, like Gregory, he'll slide.

Safeties:
1. Landon Collins
2. Eric Rowe
3. Shaq Thompson

I see Shaq Thompson more as a SS, than a 4-3 OLB, and he does have excellent athleticism. A team could take him to be a 4-3 OLB, but he's undersized to be a linebacker.

Thanks for the analysis, it's helping me learn about some of the prospects I don't know much about!

I think most of those players will go in the first round. But I'm not sure they're really worthy of a first round pick, because of the depth at a lot of the positions. The difference between like low first round picks and late second day picks isn't all that much (on the whole - WR is one of the exceptions). I wouldn't be surprised if the teams with good FO's (Green Bay, NE, Baltimore etc...) will be trading down and taking a couple of mid-rounders over a late first rounder. Seattle's already done it
Watching some teams with marginal QBs on gamepass. Without analysing too much or spending a lot of time, I'd take EJ Manuel over Mettenberger and it's not really that close. Manuel just tanked in one game and Orton played well enough to keep his job from that point on, but it doesn't mean he's a bust at all. Buffalo's competition will be Manuel and Cassell competing to start, while Tuel and Taylor compete for a roster spot. Manuel will very likely win the starting job and bills fans should be happy about that. Last time Cassell had the keys to a fairly decent NFL team for an entire season it wasn't pretty, and they immediately upgraded from tyrefire to playoff team by changing the FO and grabbing Alex Smith. Basically Cassell sucks IMO.

I think the Titans should take Mariota. It will feel a bit awkward but unless they get a blockbuster deal from Cleveland to move down, I think that's what they do. The Titans offense is also kind of underrated in general. Their OL is young with Warmack and Lewan, and Bishop Sankey is pretty good, not a bust at all which is what I was reading. Looks like a solid value pick in the second round, he's their clear starter over Shonn Greene. They don't have great receivers, and they struggle at tackling people, but with a few additions they can be very good.

The piece of the puzzle that people are missing with the Eagles is that Kelly is probably quietly confident in Sanchez, should Bradford not work out. He was in an awful situation in New York, and has shown that he can probably be a game managing system QB for a team that is solid everywhere else. That's probably why Kelly brought in a high risk high reward guy IMO, not to use as a trading chip with other teams who can't afford to take on that risk which doesn't make sense. Not that that will stop the Browns trying apparently.
Original post by Scott129
Absolutely disagree. The guy's 300+ pounds and not that great at pass protection!

He doesn't get past the Rams at 10, for me - and that's if the Giants don't nab him at 9. He'll be a guard for both of those teams.

Uh he's supposed to be 300+ lbs. Guards and centers below 300 are outliers. Tackles below 300 basically don't exist, mostly because they need to be taller (Scherff is 6'5).

Scherff is pretty good in pass pro. He might start at guard because he has characteristics there that make him very good, but he will probably be drafted high enough to where teams want to at least develop him at tackle, if not start him there immediately. I agree he won't get past 10. I'm not convinced he even gets past 5 (need a RT IIRC and his run blocking and size makes him ideal) or 6. (need a younger line in general and plug/play improvement at guard). Scherff has the upper body strength coming out to deal with defensive ends one on one, and he has good feet in general but not an amazing pass set. Adding that to his size, and teams will probably feel it's a waste to play him at guard his entire career.

Quick Reply

Latest