The Student Room Group

IBEB at Rotterdam versus PPLE at Amsterdam

Probably facing a decision between IBEB (International Bachelor Economics and Business Economics) at Erasmus and the new(ish) PPLE (Politics, Psychology, Law, and Economics) program in Amsterdam.

Anyone else in this boat? Even if not, I would appreciate any and all insights and opinions about the programs, the cites, housing, etc.

Thanks!!
Reply 1
Hi there! I'm in a similar boat as you :smile: I'd also love to know more about this: the only thing I can figure so far is that Erasmus will be more business focused and perhaps more practical in that regard whereas I'd expect pple to be more academic and covering areas form a social sciences viewpoint. Can anyone offer any practical advice on accommodation, especially in Amsterdam? Or help us compare the programs? I know uva said it has some residences: would you plan on living there?
Does anyone have an idea of what the A-level grades candidates are expected to achieve in order to be considered a conditional placement at the PPLE programme at the University of Amsterdam.

Please reply, thank you
Original post by persuerofgoals
Does anyone have an idea of what the A-level grades candidates are expected to achieve in order to be considered a conditional placement at the PPLE programme at the University of Amsterdam.

Please reply, thank you

I have an offer from the PPLE program at Amsterdam and I have AAB.
Original post by wdf2
Probably facing a decision between IBEB (International Bachelor Economics and Business Economics) at Erasmus and the new(ish) PPLE (Politics, Psychology, Law, and Economics) program in Amsterdam.

Anyone else in this boat? Even if not, I would appreciate any and all insights and opinions about the programs, the cites, housing, etc.

Thanks!!

I have an offer from PPLE program (I did not apply to Rotterdam, that program wasn't on my radar) and I'm trying to see if PPLE would be a good choice. I really can't find any third party opinions of it as it is so new (only introduced last year) which makes me worry about committing to it. Have you found any more information or made your decision?
Original post by Diva15
Hi there! I'm in a similar boat as you :smile: I'd also love to know more about this: the only thing I can figure so far is that Erasmus will be more business focused and perhaps more practical in that regard whereas I'd expect pple to be more academic and covering areas form a social sciences viewpoint. Can anyone offer any practical advice on accommodation, especially in Amsterdam? Or help us compare the programs? I know uva said it has some residences: would you plan on living there?

I'm also wondering about PPLE since I have an offer from them, though I can't seem to find much information about the program in particular, which is a concern. For example, the university itself is decently ranked in world rankings; it comes in 50th in QS general and 44th in QS Politics, but I have no idea if the PPLE program offers the same quality of education because it seems to be self contained and separate from the rest of the university,
Reply 6
Hi All -
I'm answering for myself, the parent of a guy facing the decision between IBEB and PPLE.
1. My son chose PPLE. Primarily because it is interdisciplinary and promises (solely on the basis of its size) far more intimate contact with professors and the opportunity for group work.
2. The question of what A-level grades are required is a popular one, even among those who have accepted the offer from PPLE. It's irritating that the program does not monitor the social sites and provide a clear answer. I suggest that you phone them and ask. (And then report what they say!)
3. Housing in Amsterdam is famously, notoriously, spectacularly difficult to find. The PPLE promises to send info on housing to those who have accepted, but it hasn't happened yet.
4. About the ranking/status of the program. You're right, it is new and has no established track record. However, one data point. I was alerted to the existence of PPLE by a guy I met at a conference. He was previously in charge of hiring at one of the big global consulting firms. He said that they used to have a rule to look only at graduates from the top "x" number of universities. But then they realized there were special programs emerging from "lower ranked" schools, with equally attractive candidates. He judged that PPLE was well positioned to be such a program. So much so that he endorsed his child's plan to attend.
Original post by wdf2
Hi All -
I'm answering for myself, the parent of a guy facing the decision between IBEB and PPLE.
1. My son chose PPLE. Primarily because it is interdisciplinary and promises (solely on the basis of its size) far more intimate contact with professors and the opportunity for group work.
2. The question of what A-level grades are required is a popular one, even among those who have accepted the offer from PPLE. It's irritating that the program does not monitor the social sites and provide a clear answer. I suggest that you phone them and ask. (And then report what they say!)
3. Housing in Amsterdam is famously, notoriously, spectacularly difficult to find. The PPLE promises to send info on housing to those who have accepted, but it hasn't happened yet.
4. About the ranking/status of the program. You're right, it is new and has no established track record. However, one data point. I was alerted to the existence of PPLE by a guy I met at a conference. He was previously in charge of hiring at one of the big global consulting firms. He said that they used to have a rule to look only at graduates from the top "x" number of universities. But then they realized there were special programs emerging from "lower ranked" schools, with equally attractive candidates. He judged that PPLE was well positioned to be such a program. So much so that he endorsed his child's plan to attend.

Do you remember what firm that guy worked for and was he Dutch?
Reply 8
Original post by dmiller219
Do you remember what firm that guy worked for and was he Dutch?

He was not Dutch. He worked for one of the global consulting firms, e.g., Accenture, Deloitte, McKinsey, Boston Consulting, etc.
Reply 9
Erasmus Rotterdam is one of the best best business/economics schools on this planet.
Just saying......

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending