The Student Room Group

In 1880 the age of consent in the USA used to be 10 or 12, it was 7 in Delaware.

What does that say about the USA?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by esbo

that its ****ed
Delaware was unaware.
Original post by plasmaman
that its ****ed

It's always been like that.
Reply 4
That was in 1880 lmao, says **** all about the US.
Things were very different back then. It seems messed up by modern standards, but people didn't live as long and life was much harder.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Anjum - Yasmin
Delaware was unaware.

I do not give you this rep lightly :redface:

:rofl3:
Yeah, normally I'm well up for a spot of U.S. bashing, but we can't really judge a nation on its policies from 135 years ago.

If anything it shows that the U.S. is a socially progressive nation because of how far their laws/attitudes have changed - the very definition of social progressiveness. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Law-Hopeful
Yeah, normally I'm well up for a spot of U.S. bashing, but we can't really judge a nation on its policies from 135 years ago.

If anything it shows that the U.S. is a socially progressive nation because of how far their laws/attitudes have changed - the very definition of social progressiveness. :smile:

Is banning biological adults from having sex progressive?
Original post by esbo

It would say a lot if the USA was now claiming, in 2015, that Delaware in 1880 was a place with a divinely inspired sense of morality that transcends time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by esbo
Is banning biological adults from having sex progressive?

Progressiveness, as the name suggests, is a process rather than an end result.

As for your question, I don't think any two adults, capable of giving informed consent, should have their consensual sexual relations interfered with by the state.
Reply 11
Original post by Synthesize
Sources please. We can all make wild and baseless claims. Like Mohammed molested pre-pubescent children, wore women's clothes, sucked young boys tongues, etc.

Oh wait, they're true.

I'm agnostic and neither do I come from a muslim background but how rude.
Jack ****. The age of consent was universally lower at that time, and there was a very different concept of what constituted a child.
It says that as human beings, the Americans have realized that it was WRONG to do so, and they have changed the laws to reflect that, proving that our sense of mortality improves as our knowledge and understanding of various aspects of life improves.

That's of course unlike some ideology that claims it is the unchangeable, unquestionable authority for all times.
Original post by hilrho
I'm agnostic and neither do I come from a muslim background but how rude.

Truth hurts, doesn't it?
BTW, why is this in the religion section of this forum?
Original post by Hickory Dickory
BTW, why is this in the religion section of this forum?

Because Muhammed married a nine year old?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Knee Grow
Because Muhammed married a nine year old?

Posted from TSR Mobile

but the thread has no mention of that.
Reply 18
1880s US legislation doesn't double as the avatar of divine morality.
And in 1880 in the UK the age of consent was 13, raised to 16 in 1885

so don't feel too superior. The UK didn't reall have an age set before 1875

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending