The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Cech rumours hotting up. £10m is a sweet deal if you can get him for that, can probably reclaim majority if you sell Chesney on too so there can't be any excuses about eating into your transfer budget...

What's everyone's thoughts on Fabregas btw? Seems to me that with your new system he would've fitted in perfectly?

Coq
Ramsey Fabregas

Something like that. Upgrade your DM in summer and you would've had the best midfield in the league.
(edited 9 years ago)
Kane's been their captain the last few games ffs. I don't even know who our starting captain is tbh seeing that Arteta has missed half the season
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
If it wasnt for Levy I reckon it could be a real possibility, Lloris doesnt exactly seem to be bound by the club and if he wanted to stay in England and play CL football then we would be the best option if he forced a move. Even then we'd have to pay through the nose and it definitely isnt realistic in the near future. He'll probably move abroad this summer anyway.

Rivals don't sell their players to each other. We haven't done business with Liverpool since 1964.
Original post by leinad2012
Kane's been their captain the last few games ffs. I don't even know who our starting captain is tbh seeing that Arteta has missed half the season

Mertesacker's our vice captain isn't he? I remember Cazorla getting the armband as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
Rivals don't sell their players to each other. We haven't done business with Liverpool since 1964.

Are we not classed as rivals?
Are we not classed as rivals?

You know what I mean... local rivals :tongue:

When was the last time Arsenal or Spurs sold a player to the other anyway? I know there's Campbell & Gallas but they were out of contract.
I really can't believe how Ospina has frauded his way into making people think he's a good keeper. To win the league you need either a world class goal scorer (20+ goals in the league, 25+ preferably), or a world class keeper. We have neither.

Seriously name one save that Ospina has made which you wouldn't expect a decent keeper to make, plus his size has been an issue for a fair few goals (should have done better with at least 2 of the goals vs. Monaco and Hendo's pen last week was bang on average and should have been saved seeing as he went the right way). He's clocked up comparable stats to Courtois and De Gea because he hasn't had poverty defenders in front of him and has, on the whole, played **** opposition.

De Gea and Courtois are both younger than Szs and Ospina (although De Gea is only 6 months younger than Szs), and they are already both miles better.

lol Ospina has turned up in plenty of games; Tottenham Man City Galatasaray Aston Villa etc. I'm not saying the guy is WC or better than Court or De Gea but he's more than adequate, just because he hasn't made some overly acrobatic saves that look nice on the eye doesn't change anything.

No, the Mert deflection one was a freak goal and if there wasn't a big change in trajectory then he most probably would have saved it, he maybe could have done better on the second goal but shouldnt have been left in that kind of position by his defence anyway (don't know how his height got brought in to this, there is no proof to say he would have saved them if he was taller but less agile).

Distribution, Errors, Pass completion are stats which have little to nothing to do with the men infront of the GK yet Ospina is near level if not better than the other GKs mentioned since being first choice. Ospina has kept just 2 less clean sheets than Courtois in more than half as many games and who have have Chelsea played in the league that were any better than the teams in our fixture list recently anyway? You also say everyone else has a poverty defence but still Ospina makes more saves + catches per game than any keeper while still leading the saves per goal charts.

So? De Gea's rise was fairly rapid, whats to say Scz wont have the same development (inb4 delusion, not saying he will but, if he sorts his attitude and other mental issues he could easily be comfortably near top of the tier below De Gea and co. imo). Ospina is stellar for second choice, don't know how else to convince you that he is tbh.
Original post by sr90
You know what I mean... local rivals :tongue:

When was the last time Arsenal or Spurs sold a player to the other anyway? I know there's Campbell & Gallas but they were out of contract.

Haha yeah I know what you mean. What about Tevez though, wasn't he a straight swap from you to city?

I'm not sure whether it would happen for us though, I only suggest Lloris because he's one of the few top pl keepers that I would be genuinely be happy for us to sign
Ospina's more than good enough in most games, and has saved us in a few. That being said, I treat it much the same as Giroud - if someone better can be found, then sure, but at the moment I'm happy with what we have in that position.
Original post by sr90

You lot sold Tevez to City, obvs it was said to be a high fee transfer and Ferguson didn't see him to be vital in his plans but same principle. As I said before, if we were to sign Lloris it would still have to break the bank and probably not for the 25m thats being quoted but its definitely not an impossible situation, but don't see it happening under Wenger/Levy.
(edited 9 years ago)
We never sold Tevez to no one. He was loaned to United.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would take Tevez back in a heartbeat. Unfortunately he hates us, and England.
Schezny was the joint best keeper with Cech last season.
You lot sold Tevez to City, obvs it was said to be a high fee transfer and Ferguson didn't see him to be vital in his plans but same principle. As I said before, if we were to sign Lloris it would still have to break the bank and probably not for the 25m thats being quoted but its definitely not an impossible situation, but don't see it happening under Wenger/Levy.

We didn't own Tevez, it was a 2 year loan.
Original post by AR_95
Schezny was the joint best keeper with Cech last season.

His record was good, but Golden Glove /=/ equal keeping skills, and you had a rock solid CB partnership bar the big games. There's a reason he's been dropped after all, a top keeper is invaluable, especially at the prices being quoted. It would also signal intent, and bringing in another "winner" to boost mentality would be huge. You lot will know whether you could've gained points with a world class keeper at times, I don't, but as an Arsenal fan I'd snap Jose's hand off for Cech at £10-£15m.
Shouts of a title charge may not be absurd actually :eek:. If Chelsea get held by a draw today and then lose/draw to United next week then Arsenal definitely have a chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol Ospina has turned up in plenty of games; Tottenham Man City Galatasaray Aston Villa etc. I'm not saying the guy is WC or better than Court or De Gea but he's more than adequate, just because he hasn't made some overly acrobatic saves that look nice on the eye doesn't change anything.

No, the Mert deflection one was a freak goal and if there wasn't a big change in trajectory then he most probably would have saved it, he maybe could have done better on the second goal but shouldnt have been left in that kind of position by his defence anyway (don't know how his height got brought in to this, there is no proof to say he would have saved them if he was taller but less agile).

Distribution, Errors, Pass completion are stats which have little to nothing to do with the men infront of the GK yet Ospina is near level if not better than the other GKs mentioned since being first choice. Ospina has kept just 2 less clean sheets than Courtois in more than half as many games and who have have Chelsea played in the league that were any better than the teams in our fixture list recently anyway? You also say everyone else has a poverty defence but still Ospina makes more saves + catches per game than any keeper while still leading the saves per goal charts.

So? De Gea's rise was fairly rapid, whats to say Scz wont have the same development (inb4 delusion, not saying he will but, if he sorts his attitude and other mental issues he could easily be comfortably near top of the tier below De Gea and co. imo). Ospina is stellar for second choice, don't know how else to convince you that he is tbh.

What? He had nothing to do against City, and was arguably at fault for the first goal against Tottenham. Like I say, can you think of 1 world class save he has made?

His positioning is awful at times, like yesterday vs. Burnley when he nearly got caught from the free kick on his side of the goal and was left scrambling. He isn't a commanding keeper, I mean the guy isn't exactly confident at corners is he?

There's been a fair few examples of where he's not been tall enough, it's why he's weak with crosses, even Hendo's penalty last week a taller keeper would have saved with ease.

The clean sheets I'd put down more to the defenders in front of him than on his keeping, but I'll give him credit where it's due, he isn't stupid when the ball is passed back to him like Szs, he just gets rid which I like. All of those stats can be deceiving, most of the shots he faces are your bread and butter so it's not surprising that he has a good record.

Just looked at all the stats, his avg. saves per game is 0.01 more than De Gea ffs, you can't quote that as him being better. Plus his distribution success is worse than Courtois (but only by 2% so hardly relevant). His average saves per goal is impressive, but again if all the saves are bread and butter that's hardly important. What I dislike is his Avg. punches, it shows a clear lack of confidence from crosses. Ospina has an avg. punch of 50% compared to 16% for De Gea and 31% for Courtois.

I agree, he is a decent 2nd choice, but he's our starting keeper. He isn't really a good enough cup keeper because he will never be a good penalty saver, the only place in the team where he could be used is in the cl. When I look at the team compared to the rest of the top 4, hell even top 7 the clear weak link is at GK. I'll be honest the rest of the top 7 have a better starting keeper than we do
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
Shouts of a title charge may not be absurd actually :eek:. If Chelsea get held by a draw today and then lose/draw to United next week then Arsenal definitely have a chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We still have to be able to beat them, that I'm really not convinced of.

They'll probably get a last minute penalty anyway against QPR, Hazard scoring the winner.

Or Fabregas...lol
(edited 9 years ago)
If we bought Cech I'd be happy, at 32 he still has a couple solid years left and would hopefully help Szs develop and mature mentally. I'd happily have him as 1st team keeper and then Szs and Ospina battling for cup keeper/ 2nd keeper for when Cech fatigues.

Plus it actually looks semi-feasible from the sounds of it.

Come on QPR get a winner pls
Well ****, gg Chelsea that's the title

Latest