The Student Room Group

I have no motivation, despite the stakes

I'm currently studying for my A-Levels, and really need to revise.

I study maths, geography and ICT, though ICT is only coursework.

I love revising maths, and could sit and revise maths all day long, but I can't get any motiviation for any of the other subjects. I REALLY need to revise for geography and complete my ICT coursework by the end of this week, but I have no desire or motivation to do them.

I've been doing maths every morning for the past week from 9 to around 2PM, and then I try to start my geography but I just cannot do it... It's killing me.
Reply 1
Original post by AlconH
I'm currently studying for my A-Levels, and really need to revise.

I study maths, geography and ICT, though ICT is only coursework.

I love revising maths, and could sit and revise maths all day long, but I can't get any motiviation for any of the other subjects. I REALLY need to revise for geography and complete my ICT coursework by the end of this week, but I have no desire or motivation to do them.

I've been doing maths every morning for the past week from 9 to around 2PM, and then I try to start my geography but I just cannot do it... It's killing me.

It's the same with me: I can revise maths all day long, but not geography (and my grades have dropped for it)

Have you tried focusing on just doing questions for geography?
Reply 2
Original post by kkboyk
It's the same with me: I can revise maths all day long, but not geography (and my grades have dropped for it)

Have you tried focusing on just doing questions for geography?

I've been given loads of past papers as homework, but I can't motivate myself to do them...
Reply 3
Original post by AlconH
I've been given loads of past papers as homework, but I can't motivate myself to do them...

Are you doing Edexcel?
Cut down your maths revision time until you're more caught up with your other two subjects. 5 hours is a really long time for your brain to focus.
Reply 5
It's very difficult to switch your brain from revising one subject to revising another - especially if the first one is one you enjoy and the second one you can't get the motivation for! Make it easier for yourself by starting with Geography/ICT from now on. Then when you're more tired you can have a slightly more enjoyable time revising maths.

When you don't have motivation for something, it's hard to make yourself start - but sometimes it's only by getting into something that you get the motivation to carry on with it. You need to give yourself a chance to get into Geog/ICT. If you're really struggling, try giving yourself a time limit. E.g. one hour on ICT coursework and see how far that takes you. That will allow you to know how much time you need to give it - as well as hopefully getting you into the subject so you start to get motivated for it.. Good luck!
Reply 6
I also study geography. I found the way to get motivation is to revise a topic which you know you enjoy. rather than doing past paper after past paper do a different activity like mind maps or flash cards something a little more creative and then work on past papers once you feel you can answer questions easier.
Reply 7
Original post by kkboyk
Are you doing Edexcel?

Edexcel Maths, OCR Geography and OCR applied ICT

Original post by vincentjack
Cut down your maths revision time until you're more caught up with your other two subjects. 5 hours is a really long time for your brain to focus.

I'll try that, thanks.

Original post by Reord
It's very difficult to switch your brain from revising one subject to revising another - especially if the first one is one you enjoy and the second one you can't get the motivation for! Make it easier for yourself by starting with Geography/ICT from now on. Then when you're more tired you can have a slightly more enjoyable time revising maths.

When you don't have motivation for something, it's hard to make yourself start - but sometimes it's only by getting into something that you get the motivation to carry on with it. You need to give yourself a chance to get into Geog/ICT. If you're really struggling, try giving yourself a time limit. E.g. one hour on ICT coursework and see how far that takes you. That will allow you to know how much time you need to give it - as well as hopefully getting you into the subject so you start to get motivated for it.. Good luck!
That sounds like a good idea. I'm going to start on Geograpghy and ICT from now on. Thanks :smile:
I'm doing geography, every time I get stuck on a question, I research it and end up even more confused than before, I end up giving up or doing something completely wrong.
Always start revising with the one you hate the most. Then you know that once you've finished whatever task you've set yourself, you can move on to something you enjoy a little more. If you start with something you like and you know that finishing it will mean you have to start something you hate, you'll never do it.
Reply 10
Original post by katiew1243
I'm doing geography, every time I get stuck on a question, I research it and end up even more confused than before, I end up giving up or doing something completely wrong.
Try using the mark scheme before attempting to answer the question, then once you're more confident, stop using the mark scheme.

Original post by GoingToBurst
Always start revising with the one you hate the most. Then you know that once you've finished whatever task you've set yourself, you can move on to something you enjoy a little more. If you start with something you like and you know that finishing it will mean you have to start something you hate, you'll never do it.
I've never really acknowledged my dislike for geography until now, so I've never thought about it like that. It sounds like a really good idea. I'll start doing that now.
Original post by AlconH
Try using the mark scheme before attempting to answer the question, then once you're more confident, stop using the mark scheme.

I've never really acknowledged my dislike for geography until now, so I've never thought about it like that. It sounds like a really good idea. I'll start doing that now.

It really helps me get through my revision (even now that I'm halfway through my degree) when I plan it that way. Although then you're met with the problem of "ugh, I have to get up at 6.30am to make it to the library to study something I hate" hahaha. Good luck with your revision, you can do it! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending