The Student Room Group

what is this school leaving age? please read if i can be employed here?

I want to work for costa as part time
this is what they say

- In England and Wales if your 16th birthday falls within the current academic year then you can leave school on the last Friday in June of the current academic year.

i am in england and my birthday is 5th june, so i will be 16 this 5th june and finishing school on 10.

however my class mate is 16 and she already works there but she is still not school leaving age?

You can work part time before you are of school leaving age (obviously you still need to be in school too).
There are extra laws and rules for children under 16 working, as well as slightly different laws for 16-18 year olds (i.e. more breaks, less hours per week, etc).

Basically, it's better for you to speak to Costa and see what they say. You will be allowed to be employed, but with stricter laws for the employer than if you were 16 or over, so they may wish for you to wait until you are 16.
Reply 2
Original post by Emaemmaemily
You can work part time before you are of school leaving age (obviously you still need to be in school too).
There are extra laws and rules for children under 16 working, as well as slightly different laws for 16-18 year olds (i.e. more breaks, less hours per week, etc).

Basically, it's better for you to speak to Costa and see what they say. You will be allowed to be employed, but with stricter laws for the employer than if you were 16 or over, so they may wish for you to wait until you are 16.

But emma
reading those requirement would they employ me?

i went for McDonald and they said they cant do interview cuz i am not 16?

but i want to know before attending the interview.

well this costa is in a stadium so i couldnt find contact.

reading those requirement am i able to work for that company as my birthday falls on 5th june?
Original post by Cazi7
But emma

reading those requirement am i able to work for that company as my birthday falls on 5th june?

I think it depends on the company and the type of work you are doing. Some companies will have their own rules about employing under 16s, you will have to find a contact and ask them.

This is the link to the Citizens Advice on the subject. You technically can be employed as a 15 year old, but it depends on the company and type of work about whether they will say yes or not.
Reply 4
I think it depends on the company and the type of work you are doing. Some companies will have their own rules about employing under 16s, you will have to find a contact and ask them.

This is the link to the Citizens Advice on the subject. You technically can be employed as a 15 year old, but it depends on the company and type of work about whether they will say yes or not.

yeah but the company say this
In England and Wales if your 16th birthday falls within the current academic year then you can leave school on the last Friday in June of the current academic year.

so am i in this category.
"it says if you 16th birthday falls within the current academic year, if you can leave school on last friday in june"
my birthday does fall in this academic year and i can am a school leaving age in june?
Original post by Cazi7
yeah but the company say this
In England and Wales if your 16th birthday falls within the current academic year then you can leave school on the last Friday in June of the current academic year.

so am i in this category.
"it says if you 16th birthday falls within the current academic year, if you can leave school on last friday in june"
my birthday does fall in this academic year and i can am a school leaving age in june?

Saying you can leave school isn't the same as saying they will employ you.

Like I've said, you need to actually speak to them and find out. Legally you can be employed, but only the manager of that Costa can tell you if they will be happy to employ you or not.
Reply 6
Saying you can leave school isn't the same as saying they will employ you.

Like I've said, you need to actually speak to them and find out. Legally you can be employed, but only the manager of that Costa can tell you if they will be happy to employ you or not.

alright found the number.

thanks for the help!
Original post by Cazi7
But emma

Thats because mcdonalds dont employ people that are under 16.
You have to be 16 and finished school to work at mcdonalds.
Original post by Emma:-)
Thats because mcdonalds dont employ people that are under 16.
You have to be 16 and finished school to work at mcdonalds.

Errr, if you finish school you are overqualified for McDonalds. You have to drop out of school if you want to work there :tongue:
Original post by Keyhofi
Errr, if you finish school you are overqualified for McDonalds. You have to drop out of school if you want to work there :tongue:

How dare you?
You clearly have no knowledge of working there.
I think you will find that some very clever people work there. Its not as easy as you think working there, i know quite a few people who have left after 2 weeks because they couldnt hack it.
Its also good for promotion there.
Original post by Emma:-)
How dare you?
You clearly have no knowledge of working there.
I think you will find that some very clever people work there. Its not as easy as you think working there, i know quite a few people who have left after 2 weeks because they couldnt hack it.
Its also good for promotion there.

Peace, it was just a joke. All jobs have hard parts. People drop out of any job for a variety of reasons. It's just that you don't need a doctorate or even a Master's to work at McDonalds.
Reply 11
Lolz kofi. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending