The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry- helping each other out!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nidfeo
OCR B?

If this book is OCR B then yes! 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samb1234
If you're doing edexcel you need to understand when you use e/z and when you can use cis/trans as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought they were the same thing :confused:
They essentially are but you can only use cis trans if the two groups you are describing are the same (eg cl on either side) not if they are different (eg ch3 on one side c2h5 on the other)

Posted from TSR Mobile
They essentially are but you can only use cis trans if the two groups you are describing are the same (eg cl on either side) not if they are different (eg ch3 on one side c2h5 on the other)

Posted from TSR Mobile

So E/Z and Cis/Trans isomerism are the only types of stereoisomerism right?
Original post by Xetter
So E/Z and Cis/Trans isomerism are the only types of stereoisomerism right?

They're the only ones for edexcel but there are other types

Posted from TSR Mobile
" state two essential conditions used for the extraction of aluminium from aluminium oxide "

anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, thanks

My teacher marked me down for writing "dimethyl propane" when naming a structure because it should have been "2,2-dimethyl propane". However I thought it was redundant to name it that. I checked the markscheme and actually the "2,2" was in parentheses so it wasn't necessary to write it. I want to check again with people here though whether it is better to include the numbers or not for a three carbon main chain
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Windowswind123
Ok, thanks

My teacher marked me down for writing "dimethyl propane" when naming a structure because it should have been "2,2-dimethyl propane". However I thought it was redundant to name it that. I checked the markscheme and actually the "2,2" was in parentheses so it wasn't necessary to write it. I want to check again with people here though whether it is better to include the numbers or not for a three carbon main chain

I agree you shouldn't need the 2,2. My guess would be that your unlikely to lose marks for superfluous components of names in this situation but I don't really know (wiki has both names)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree you shouldn't need the 2,2. My guess would be that your unlikely to lose marks for superfluous components of names in this situation but I don't really know (wiki has both names)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe it is just a preference.
Original post by Windowswind123
Maybe it is just a preference.

It probably is but they should definitely allow both answers

Posted from TSR Mobile
There is no other way of arranging dimethylpropane so there is no reason why you should be marked down for not putting 2, 2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Xetter
If this book is OCR B then yes! ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahahah, I think that's OCR A :tongue:
Original post by wednesday_adams
" state two essential conditions used for the extraction of aluminium from aluminium oxide "

anyone?

This will be aluminium oxide (bauxite) extracted by electrolysis :smile:
so the conditions may be
with Molton cryolite to lower melting point
high tenperatures
(edited 9 years ago)
How an earth do you answer shape of molecule questions?

( EVERY single question I do I get no marks for it)

Help! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emilita.nxn

Posted from TSR Mobile

Try this if you still need help let me know http://www.chemguide.co.uk/atoms/bonding/shapes.html

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wednesday_adams

anyone?

The aluminium oxide is electrolysed - so an essential condition is that it must be molten. Another important factor is that it has to be mixed with cryolite - this has a much lower melting temperature so it the resulting mixture takes less energy for it to melt :smile:
That's what you need to know for AQA AS, I don't know about any other exam boards
thanks friendd :smile:
Original post by emilita.nxn

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically a template:

X bonding pairs,
Y lone pairs,
Electron pairs repel,
Lone pairs repel more

Insert X and Y accordingly and you're set :wink:

If they ask for shape, state the shape:

[2 bonding pairs-linear
3- trigonal planar,
4- tetrahedral,
6-octahedral
when there are no lone pairs

2 bonding and 1/2 lone pairs- non-linear
3 bonding and 1 lone pair- pyramidal]

And then repeat the template :lol:
(edited 9 years ago)
For titrations what is the table you have to do. I have the empa coming up :redface:
For titrations what is the table you have to do. I have the empa coming up :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest