The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Red Lightning
What is the dress code for an inset day? I've heard that you can wear your own clothes. I emailed my mentor to see if its true and I haven't heard back from him.

Always been a dress down day apart from the senior management, who don't seem to dare to let their authority slip for a minute, in case we see the real them underneath...
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Always been a dress down day apart from the senior management, who don't seem to dare to let their authority slip for a minute, in case we see the real them underneath...

On that note, how long do inset days usually go on for? Does everyone leave at around the same time they would if it was a normal teaching day?

I still have a week of holidays left, and I am not enjoying it because I am not looking forward to going back to my placement :frown: Nothing bad has happened, I think I am just not looking forward to the amount of work I am going to have to do in the coming weeks, and I don't feel settled in my school at all. The team I am working with are very close, and I feel like such an outsider. They are very jokey and silly with each other, and with the kids, and I feel like I have to be 'professional', as a student, which makes me seem very different from them. My mentor is also so busy, I haven't had much time with them at all, so I am not sure about their expectations, etc. I am being observed when I go back, and I haven't seen my mentor teach anything, because there is another student doing most of the teaching :confused:
I'm so annoyed. Just checked my school emails to see an email off one of the teachers with a powerpoint for what I'm teaching period 5 tomorrow. I try so hard to plan my things in advance and then get an email at 8.30pm on a Sunday night about what I'm supposed to be teaching tomorrow when she told me I wasn't teaching that group for two weeks yet. It might sound fine because she's made the powerpoint so no work for me right? Well I would have to do a lesson plan alongside it and also the powerpoint makes no sense to me - there's a lot I don't understand on it so I'll have to alter it anyway. I'm so stressed out now :frown: . We get told over and over my our mentors that we need to make lesson plans further in advance than the night before yet how am I supposed to do that if the teacher only emails me the night before!? I'm fuming.
Original post by adastraz

I still have a week of holidays left, and I am not enjoying it because I am not looking forward to going back to my placement :frown: Nothing bad has happened, I think I am just not looking forward to the amount of work I am going to have to do in the coming weeks, and I don't feel settled in my school at all.

I think this sums up my feelings. Nothing has happened at my placement to make me dread going back, but I don't feel integrated and the workload is pretty much going to triple for me in the next term. I feel so sick about it. I do get some comfort knowing that I am not alone and that we are all in this together. Sounds weird, but it does help.
Original post by adastraz
On that note, how long do inset days usually go on for? Does everyone leave at around the same time they would if it was a normal teaching day?

I still have a week of holidays left, and I am not enjoying it because I am not looking forward to going back to my placement :frown: Nothing bad has happened, I think I am just not looking forward to the amount of work I am going to have to do in the coming weeks, and I don't feel settled in my school at all. The team I am working with are very close, and I feel like such an outsider. They are very jokey and silly with each other, and with the kids, and I feel like I have to be 'professional', as a student, which makes me seem very different from them. My mentor is also so busy, I haven't had much time with them at all, so I am not sure about their expectations, etc. I am being observed when I go back, and I haven't seen my mentor teach anything, because there is another student doing most of the teaching :confused:

Well, it always seems like they've discovered a time portal which makes every hour last for twice the normal length, but they usually end at the same time as the usual school day.

As for the unhappiness you feel, all I can say is that all things must pass, and if they don't, then don't think twice about doing something else with your life. Teaching's not a career you can really stick for long if you hate it.
Original post by Airfairy
I'm so annoyed. Just checked my school emails to see an email off one of the teachers with a powerpoint for what I'm teaching period 5 tomorrow. I try so hard to plan my things in advance and then get an email at 8.30pm on a Sunday night about what I'm supposed to be teaching tomorrow when she told me I wasn't teaching that group for two weeks yet. It might sound fine because she's made the powerpoint so no work for me right? Well I would have to do a lesson plan alongside it and also the powerpoint makes no sense to me - there's a lot I don't understand on it so I'll have to alter it anyway. I'm so stressed out now :frown: . We get told over and over my our mentors that we need to make lesson plans further in advance than the night before yet how am I supposed to do that if the teacher only emails me the night before!? I'm fuming.

Try not to stress it!

You can either - ask her if you can do what you planned and do her thing afterwards. Or read up on the topic and see if the Powerpoint then makes sense. Or ask her to team teach it with you? And then ask her what the hell she thinks she's playing at sending you things this late :smile:
Original post by rachel.h
Try not to stress it!

You can either - ask her if you can do what you planned and do her thing afterwards. Or read up on the topic and see if the Powerpoint then makes sense. Or ask her to team teach it with you? And then ask her what the hell she thinks she's playing at sending you things this late :smile:

Well I didn't have anything planned because she told me I was only taking this class in two weeks time! And it is not the topic that doesn't make sense - the powerpoint is really vague about the activities and she hasn't included any guidelines so I have no idea what some of the slides are asking about. I don't have time before the lesson tomorrow to start planning it either. So I guess I'll just tell her I can't teach it, not without her anyway. Gahhhhh teaching.
My final master's essay is due on wednesday but I think I'm coming down with the flu or something similar :frown: I still have 1,500 words to go which would normally be achievable but I feel so ill that nothing is making sense to me right now! It's far too late for an extension now (if they even award them for things as minor as feeling ill...) but I'm really struggling to get anything done. I guess this is a lesson to do things further in advance!

Find it frustrating that even on Easter holidays I don't have time to be ill though. :angry:
Original post by alabelle
My final master's essay is due on wednesday but I think I'm coming down with the flu or something similar :frown: I still have 1,500 words to go which would normally be achievable but I feel so ill that nothing is making sense to me right now! It's far too late for an extension now (if they even award them for things as minor as feeling ill...) but I'm really struggling to get anything done. I guess this is a lesson to do things further in advance!

Find it frustrating that even on Easter holidays I don't have time to be ill though. :angry:

Enquire about an extension - you might be surprised. I was in exactly the same boat last year and got a 3 day extension.
Lesson planning still takes me ages. I dont have a problem with the actual lesson planning(writing down the timing,etc), that takes me around 10-15 mins to complete.But, its tailoring the resource you find on Tes to your specific classes that really kills my time.

Still the best job in the world though ;-)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Red Lightning
Lesson planning still takes me ages. I dont have a problem with the actual lesson planning(writing down the timing,etc), that takes me around 10-15 mins to complete.But, its tailoring the resource you find on Tes to your specific classes that really kills my time.

Still the best job in the world though ;-)

Depending on the resource, I often find it is easier to just make my own!! I agree though, resourcing is extremely time-consuming (and rainforest killing lol).
Are there any guides for teaching ks5? I just really don't know what to do with them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TraineeLynsey
Enquire about an extension - you might be surprised. I was in exactly the same boat last year and got a 3 day extension.

I've decided to just tough it out and hand something in. If it doesn't pass we can resit! And I have too much to do during the rest of the week to fall behind. :frown:
So last week of the easter hols and I am totally failing to get work done, itll happen but chilling in the sun seems so much more appealing :tongue:
Original post by Ratchit99
So last week of the easter hols and I am totally failing to get work done, itll happen but chilling in the sun seems so much more appealing :tongue:

I'm in the same situation. Thought I might get some stuff done if I went to a relaxing location but now I'm so relaxed I can barely move. So much nicer enjoying the sun!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I'm in the same situation. Thought I might get some stuff done if I went to a relaxing location but now I'm so relaxed I can barely move. So much nicer enjoying the sun!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just rediscovered the joy of playing on my ps4 all day :tongue:
Original post by Ratchit99

Jealous! I had a few days off at the start of the hols but have got that much to do right now that it doesn't feel like I'm on holiday! Roll on summer...
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1429023711.935952.jpg

I know this is for current students this forum but I really would love if someone could help with the above :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alabelle
Jealous! I had a few days off at the start of the hols but have got that much to do right now that it doesn't feel like I'm on holiday! Roll on summer...

I have lots to do but im also aware that I was totally broken at the end of last term and i needed to give myself a break or I would be in no state moving in to these last 5 weeks of placement. Will get on properly tomorrow, plus my husband is at a stag do all day saturday so i can use that time to crack on too :
I started back yesterday and I'm already shattered. Taught my first four lessons back to back today, which was tiring but also every single one of my classes was acting up today and I don't know why. Gah it's been an awful day and I don't feel I achieved anything with any class :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending