The Student Room Group

How to revise from CGP Science guides?

I really need to know how to specifically revise the science guides by CGP
I haven't got too till my exams, im aiming for an A and i do triple science. Any tips ? thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi! I use the CGP guides as well and the way i revise from them is kinda boring but it helped me get an a* in additional science last year:
I just read through topics one at a time and highlight as i go, then just memorise most of what i higlighted. Then i used the revsion summary questions to check i knew most of the content.
Hope that helps.
Hmm . . . I wouldn't just rely on the CGP guides, but if you're confident with your subject material then I guess they are okay. :smile: However, if there's something you don't understand don't attempt to teach yourself from there. The CGP guides are good because they are concise and simple, but sometimes they are too oversimplified and don't give as much detail as is necessary. Make sure you read every little line because sometimes a question can come up that the revision guide only has like 1 sentence on.
Oh and look at the diagrams because they are often small but still sometimes as useful as the text if not more. :thumbsup: Hope that helps somewhat.
Original post by _ariane29
Hmm . . . I wouldn't just rely on the CGP guides, but if you're confident with your subject material then I guess they are okay. :smile: However, if there's something you don't understand don't attempt to teach yourself from there. The CGP guides are good because they are concise and simple, but sometimes they are too oversimplified and don't give as much detail as is necessary. Make sure you read every little line because sometimes a question can come up that the revision guide only has like 1 sentence on.
Oh and look at the diagrams because they are often small but still sometimes as useful as the text if not more. :thumbsup: Hope that helps somewhat.

Well what other resources would you use for revision?
Original post by Samistrawberry

Youtube videos, bitesize, the actual textbook :smile:
Original post by _ariane29
Youtube videos, bitesize, the actual textbook :smile:

Ahh okay yeh I used youtube too.In fact I just recently found this new youtuber- GCSEGUIDE and he has really good revision vids :fluffy:
Original post by Samistrawberry

I used the specification for science, each subject specification is available on the exam board website and it meant I learnt exactly what I needed to know and no unhelpful/useless facts!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by somegirlcalledea
I used the specification for science, each subject specification is available on the exam board website and it meant I learnt exactly what I needed to know and no unhelpful/useless facts!

Posted from TSR Mobile

How exac
How exactly did you learn the specification?
Original post by TS21
How exac
How exactly did you learn the specification?

Not sure which exam board you're on but I was on aqa and the specification said exactly what I needed to know. I wrote out notes based on the spec and any class work notes.

Using the spec also meant I didn't learn anything unnecessary!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
[QUOTE="somegirlcalledea;54961139"]Not sure which exam board you're on but I was on aqa and the specification said exactly what I needed to know. I wrote out notes based on the spec and any class work notes.

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE
I'm on AQA too but how did you retain the information, and what grade did you get? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Well, I went a bit overboard with revision, and I went through every single page of the CGP revision guide and wrote 3 flash cards on each page and memorised them. Took ages, but helped me get 3A*s in my sciences:smile:) You don't need to textbook for GCSE, CGP has EVERYTHING you need to know for the syllabus in there.
Reply 11
Original post by Heffalump .
Well, I went a bit overboard with revision, and I went through every single page of the CGP revision guide and wrote 3 flash cards on each page and memorised them. Took ages, but helped me get 3A*s in my sciences:smile:) You don't need to textbook for GCSE, CGP has EVERYTHING you need to know for the syllabus in there.

How did you use the flash cards effectively and if you only used 3, the cards must have been packed with information?
Original post by TS21
How did you use the flash cards effectively and if you only used 3, the cards must have been packed with information?

Not really, sometimes it was more, but usually the page is divided into subtopics (eg the experiment for something) so I just did a flash card on every subtopic on the page, which was about 3
[QUOTE="TS21;54967601"]
Not sure which exam board you're on but I was on aqa and the specification said exactly what I needed to know. I wrote out notes based on the spec and any class work notes.

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE
I'm on AQA too but how did you retain the information, and what grade did you get? :smile:

I wrote out a flashcard for each specification point, including any extra detail I felt would help me to learn it. Then when it came to exams me and my friend would test each other on the bus (its about an hours journey) from the flashcard. I got 3 A*s :biggrin: (including highest marks in the year in biology in my school!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
[QUOTE="somegirlcalledea;54968487"]
Original post by TS21

I wrote out a flashcard for each specification point, including any extra detail I felt would help me to learn it. Then when it came to exams me and my friend would test each other on the bus (its about an hours journey) from the flashcard. I got 3 A*s :biggrin: (including highest marks in the year in biology in my school!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you put it into your own words because it can be very brief. Did you make your flashcards and roughly how long did it take to make the flashcards?
Reply 15
[QUOTE="somegirlcalledea;54968487"]
Original post by TS21

Posted from TSR Mobile

So for each point you wrote a question?
[QUOTE="TS21;54970003"]

So for each point you wrote a question?

Sort of, I wrote out the information and then me and my friend came up with questions verbally to test each other. (although in other subjects I wrote information on one side and questions about it on the other side)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
[QUOTE="somegirlcalledea;54984187"]
Original post by TS21

Sort of, I wrote out the information and then me and my friend came up with questions verbally to test each other. (although in other subjects I wrote information on one side and questions about it on the other side)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh, one last thing, you see the chemistry specification and physics specification, its quite hard to make the notes compared to biology. Any tips? cheers
Original post by TS21

Ohh, one last thing, you see the chemistry specification and physics specification, its quite hard to make the notes compared to biology. Any tips? cheers

I used class notes, and the textbook to match up information which was relevant to the point!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
I used class notes, and the textbook to match up information which was relevant to the point!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did you get in your other subjects?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending