The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by swirly
you could just unfollow?

im intrigued as to where this argument will go lol, he's trying to claim racism for a comment on how **** cypriot football teams are.

Original post by angelfox
lmfao, I'm in tears, racism over saying Cyprus will have a team in the Europa League

:lol:
Original post by SA-1
I'm not on twitter but I've heard such horrid things about the Arsenal fans on their that I'm glad I'm not on it

our fans rule twitter tbh, in fact most social networks are dominated by arsenal fans which is why we always troll on online polls.
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
im intrigued as to where this argument will go lol, he's trying to claim racism for a comment on how **** cypriot football teams are.

:lol:

omg that was unreal :rofl:
Reply 7003
Original post by AR_95
lol Welbeck's been playing on the LW second half of the season ffs

Thats where he mostly played last season. Scored 9 in the league. I wish Arsenal fans would just admit he's gone backwards as footballer. He had his chance upfront for Arsenal for a large period of the season, didn't do anything. Not good enough for any team in the top 4.
Original post by SA-1
I'm not on twitter but I've heard such horrid things about the Arsenal fans on their that I'm glad I'm not on it

Mike Sanz is scum to the Arsenal fanbase yes.
Reply 7005
Original post by leinad2012
Kane's been their captain the last few games ffs. I don't even know who our starting captain is tbh seeing that Arteta has missed half the season

I was talking to a colleague of mine about who our next captain should be today funnily enough. It's bound to change soon seeing as Arteta won't be around for too long, and nor will Merta. Would really like Jack to get the armband tbh, I know I'll get a bunch of Wilshere haters disagreeing but the guy is probably favourite to get the armband, and would do well with it too imo.
Ramsey on right wing doesn't work against pressing teams. He likes to drift into the center, which forces Bellerin to push up, and often leaves masses of space for others to run in to (especially with Mertesacker there). The only reason we haven't suffered as much is because Monreal has had practice at CB, which means when Bellerin pushes up, he can stay back, and we are essentially playing with 3 CBs (as well as Bellerin being pacey af).
Original post by SA-1
I was talking to a colleague of mine about who our next captain should be today funnily enough. It's bound to change soon seeing as Arteta won't be around for too long, and nor will Merta. Would really like Jack to get the armband tbh, I know I'll get a bunch of Wilshere haters disagreeing but the guy is probably favourite to get the armband, and would do well with it too imo.

Jack would be alright, although I'd find out of Coq is serious about his future with us, and either give it to him, Ramsey, or Koscielny.
Original post by Arkasia
He likes to drift into the center, which forces Bellerin to push up

Do you think Wenger intended this?

Bellerin is clearly better offensively in the final third than defensively on the rest of the pitch.
Not sure about yesterdays game as I didn't watch, but Ramsey on RW pretty much stayed on the right wing whilst crossing balls in against Liverpool..

In fact Bellerin is the one who cuts in through the corner of the box, hence his opening goal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rosicky will be made captain, only to play under 10 games for that season.

Wenger gonna Wenger.
Original post by Magnus Taylor
Thumbs up if you think Arsenal will get second

piss off.

- sincerly.

Acorns.

(PS, do actually stay around in the football forum. but just dont be a dick about it)
Original post by cost
Thats where he mostly played last season. Scored 9 in the league. I wish Arsenal fans would just admit he's gone backwards as footballer. He had his chance upfront for Arsenal for a large period of the season, didn't do anything. Not good enough for any team in the top 4.

I don't disagree. Welbeck shouldn't be playing for us.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by swirly
Do you think Wenger intended this?

Bellerin is clearly better offensively in the final third than defensively on the rest of the pitch.

Unless my knowledge is way off, Bellerin was originally training as a winger in La Masia, but Wenger adapted him as a RB when he joined us. This is probably why he is very good at passing, crossing, and he has a cracking eye for goal as a full back. We are lucky that Coquelin sits back and protects the CB's, which allows them to widen a bit, and cover more ground, and that the rest of our team like to drift around freely (Cazorla, Ozil and Ramsey in particular). This means that there is almost invariably someone else to cover Bellerin when he runs forward, the problem is that we play everything in the final third, which means we get comfortable in possession outside their box (including bringing both full backs up), and leave a CB and Coq near the half-way line (with another one further back). Whenever a team breaks out against us, they can catch us out down the right wing, because Bellerin is usually near the corner flag, Ramsey in near the centre of the box, and Mertesacker is running so slowly time is moving backwards for him.

Another issue is that when the other team plays along the opposite wing, Bellerin gets dragged across with Mertesacker, and usually just stands directly behind him, leaving space down the right wing. A prime example is Sterling, when he got the ball and had a lot of space to run into, winning a penalty, because Bellerin was dragged out of position, and there was no-one on the right wing to back him up.

Sorry for the essay btw.
Original post by midnightice
Rosicky will be made captain, only to play under 10 games for that season.

Wenger gonna Wenger.

Rosicky would make the perfect captain...

Ten years ago.
Original post by Arkasia
Unless my knowledge is way off, Bellerin was originally training as a winger in La Masia, but Wenger adapted him as a RB when he joined us. This is probably why he is very good at passing, crossing, and he has a cracking eye for goal as a full back. We are lucky that Coquelin sits back and protects the CB's, which allows them to widen a bit, and cover more ground, and that the rest of our team like to drift around freely (Cazorla, Ozil and Ramsey in particular). This means that there is almost invariably someone else to cover Bellerin when he runs forward, the problem is that we play everything in the final third, which means we get comfortable in possession outside their box (including bringing both full backs up), and leave a CB and Coq near the half-way line (with another one further back). Whenever a team breaks out against us, they can catch us out down the right wing, because Bellerin is usually near the corner flag, Ramsey in near the centre of the box, and Mertesacker is running so slowly time is moving backwards for him.

Another issue is that when the other team plays along the opposite wing, Bellerin gets dragged across with Mertesacker, and usually just stands directly behind him, leaving space down the right wing. A prime example is Sterling, when he got the ball and had a lot of space to run into, winning a penalty, because Bellerin was dragged out of position, and there was no-one on the right wing to back him up.

Sorry for the essay btw.

lol was a good read.

are you sure Wenger adapted him?

Most fullbacks are failed wingers or CB's. I suspect he was a RW, and Wenger forced him back to RB as he thought he wouldnt have the quality to make it as RW long term.

Yeah while Bellerin can get caught up high in the pitch, he has bags of pace to make up for it, the only thing letting him down is, numerous times after catching his man up he cant actually make a tackle. he's young though, he can work on his tackling.

debuchy has striked me as average and equally unconvincing defensively, wouldn't be surprised if bellerin starts as RB next season.
Original post by swirly
lol was a good read.

Most fullbacks are failed wingers or CB's. I suspect he was a RW, and Wenger forced him back to RB as he thought he wouldnt have the quality to make it as RW long term.

Yeah while Bellerin can get caught up high in the pitch, he has bags of pace to make up for it, the only thing letting him down is, numerous times after catching his man up he cant actually make a tackle. he's young though, he can work on his tackling.

debuchy has striked me as average and equally unconvincing defensively, wouldn't be surprised if bellerin starts as RB next season.

Well it's hard to criticise debuchy considering how little game time he's had.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by swirly
lol was a good read.

I don't know if he was a failed winger, I just think Wenger saw that he had potential as a RB, and if he continued to be a winger, he would be good, but not good enough to dislodge Walcott/Ox/Gnabry.

The problem with Bellerin is that his timing and decision making is sometimes off, and that his heading is atrocious.

Debuchy is not average, he just suffered in a mediocre Newcastle team. He is a slight upgrade on Sagna, who was brilliant for us. Debuchy is by far our best RB defensively, and he has equally good ability offensively. Next season I think Chambers is going out on loan, with Debuchy our starter, then Jenko/Bellerin.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Arkasia
I don't know if he was a failed winger, I just think Wenger saw that he had potential as a RB, and if he continued to be a winger, he would be good, but not good enough to dislodge Walcott/Ox/Gnabry.

The problem with Bellerin is that his timing and decision making is sometimes off, and that I have seen ISIS victims with a better ability at heading the ball than him.

Debuchy is not average, he just suffered in a mediocre Newcastle team. He is a slight upgrade on Sagna, who was brilliant for us. Debuchy is by far our best RB defensively, and he has equally good ability offensively. Next season I think Chambers is going out on loan, with Debuchy our starter, then Jenko/Bellerin.

I doubt jenko will make it back unfortunately :frown: even if he's arsenal an arsenal boi.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by swirly
lol was a good read.

He was actually scouted when the Barca youth team had an injury crisis and Bellerin played as an emergency right back. This is according to himself. So, not completely a failed RW.

Latest