The Student Room Group

Warwick GEP (A101) Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by steveab
I can tell you that earlsdon is a good place to live for students, close the the city centre and the station, relatively nice place and good bus links to UHCW.

I agree. I live here (in Earlsdon) and it is cheap, nice and convenient. It's not Mayfair but it is sufficient for our needs.

Original post by MJK91
How easy is it getting around from say Earlsdon to Leamington? They stressed at Open Days etc most social events are in Leamington so would be good to know it's easy to get to public transport wise!

Actually there is a push for social events to be outside of Leam for the very reason that many people don't want to pay £35 for a cab back from Leam to Earlsdon at 3:00 in the morning. Don't move to Leam just thinking that that's where all of the social events will be. There are loads of people up here.

Original post by steveab
There is a U1 bus that goes from the university to leamington that you can get a years pass for £330. Other than that you can cycle it, takes me about 40 minutes each way.

The U1 is part of the Warwick University network.

The 11 bus goes from the Coventry Rail station, straight through the centre of Earlsdon, straight through the Warwick campus, up Gibbet Hill Road past the med school and all the way to Leamington. It runs every 15 minutes during weekdays, half-hourly most evenings and hourly at off-times. An annual pass cost me about £270, and this covers all National Express buses in Coventry.

Original post by steveab
Leamington is nice, lots of restaurants and bars but a little far out and quite expensive.
Earlsdon is close to the city centre and about 10 minutes walk to the medical school and relatively cheap.
Tile hill is cheap but far out (not as far as leamington, only about half an hours cycle) and unpleasant.
Kenilworth is a really nice little town, 15 minutes cycle from the university, restaurants and the like but not particularly cheap.

Earlsdon is a big place. The centre of Earlsdon, near the big roundabout where Earlsdon Ave North becomes Earlsdon Ave South, is about a 35-40-minute walk to the med school. This is where the City Arms pub is. There are some places south of the War Memorial park (and I know some med students live there) but I wouldn't really class that as Earlsdon and it is very very boring down there. Most people live within about a 10-minute walk of the centre of Earlsdon, and (as mentioned above) the 11 and 12 buses come through here and go to the Warwick campus (the 11 continues on to Leam).

Original post by lv587
Earlson is further than 10m walk to campus. I'm a current student and people I know who live there either take the bus or cycle - both about 20m I think.

Yeah, you're right. It depends on the time of day, but the bus ride usually takes about 20-30 minutes, walking it is about 35-40 minutes and cycling can be anywhere from 15-25 depending on the route and the circumstances.

The only thing I would say is that first-year students spend each Friday at UHCW hospital and most days start at 8:00 am. If you live in Leam, you literally either need a car or need a friend with a car (and bear in mind that neither parking nor petrol are paid for in the first year). Making the journey every Friday from Leam to UHCW and back via public transport is simply impossible. If you live in Earlsdon, it is possible to catch a bus, ride your bike or hitch a ride with a nice friend who drives.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ranelagh75
I am actually literally in Earlsdon as I type this.

Repped purely for this epic sentence.
Original post by Ronove
Repped purely for this epic sentence.

Like nowhere else on earth, mate
Original post by HabzZ
I was wondering if everyone received an email regarding the dbs process? I received a second email when I firmed the offer the offer on ucas, which stated that I should have got another email with information on applying for dbs

Hey. I got an email. Its got the pin and password to log in to the dbs website. I can forward you the email if you want?
Good luck to those still waiting (apologies for this notification :tongue: )

When I spoke to Warwick I got the impression they'd still be giving out offers today, so hopefully the horrible weekend wait will be worthwhile!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck everyone, I suspect you'll get a good chance today + hopefully tomorrow as well!
Original post by danisk
Hey. I got an email. Its got the pin and password to log in to the dbs website. I can forward you the email if you want?

Could you forward to me as well please? Never got it :P FB will do! x
Original post by MJK91
Good luck everyone, I suspect you'll get a good chance today + hopefully tomorrow as well!

Thanks! Ill need it :redface:
Original post by MJK91

The torture continues!
Reply 1269
Good luck for those waiting today…I have everything crossed for you!!
I just called to follow up and they said they haven't had a decision yet and implied there were still offers to go out...Fingers crossed! Good luck to everyone else still waiting!
There are definitely still more offers available.

I got mine at 10:15 today.

Based on my guess there mite be something like 60-80 offers remaining possibly.

Good luck to those waiting.
Original post by sonic25
There are definitely still more offers available.

I got mine at 10:15 today.

Based on my guess there mite be something like 60-80 offers remaining possibly.

Good luck to those waiting.

Woop woop! I'll do the excitement for you.

I've basically accepted that I'm not on the course now. Not a happy place but better than the agonising hope.
Original post by Razeak

I've basically accepted that I'm not on the course now. Not a happy place but better than the agonising hope.

Ok to accept it, but it doesn't necessarily make you right! You still have a chance :smile: Good luck.
Original post by Razeak

Hold on buddy, I'm sure there are still offers. The office are just finding it difficult to process this many offers considering there are only 2 of them.

Hopefully yours will be here son.
Original post by sonic25
Hold on buddy, I'm sure there are still offers. The office are just finding it difficult to process this many offers considering there are only 2 of them.

Hopefully yours will be here son.

Yes father.
Rejection :frown: at 12:34 today
Original post by linchang.91
Rejection :frown: at 12:34 today

No way! Now I am freaking out. I thought the offers would go on until tomorrow at least and then rejections!!
Original post by TouchWood
No way! Now I am freaking out. I thought the offers would go on until tomorrow at least and then rejections!!

They said when they started rejections they would do them concurrently. It doesn't mean offers are finished.

It does mean you need to check the email title carefully!

It'll start with Warwick offer if you have an offer.
Original post by TouchWood

Yeah I thought so too, so when I got the UCAS status change update I got really excited.. =.= guess I must've been on top of their rejection list

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending