The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Depleted
This point baffles me a lot. We showed that we don't put up with nonsense, and we're one of the least deluded fanbases (if not the least). It's clear Liverpool and Arsenal fans are the worst in the country for this.

Well it's easy to say you aren't deluded if you're winning back to back titles so that's not exactly something to gloat for. Besides, it's not the only factor to take into consideration.
There's also self entitlement (which you guys are notoriously known to be the worst for) and the way Moyes was treated was shocking.
Saying "you don't put up with nonsense" doesn't justify it either.

Also have to remember how many people jumped ship from clubs like Arsenal/Chelsea or even Liverpool last decade, over to UTD during Fergie's dominance era.

Arsenal fans have reason to want more considering we pay the most for our tickets but are provided with mediocrity year after year. It took only one year for your fans to go into meltdown however which sums it all up really. Also I wouldn't say Liverpool fans are by any means the worst. Considering their position I'd say they're more humble than rival clubs (definitely over UTD) bar for last season for obvious reasons.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Also the fact most Utd fans chose them only because they are seen to guarantee glory and once that simple co-dependency breaks down there are the classic 7 stages of loss. A very specific type of personality chooses to become a Utd fan in my experience, and many of these guys didnt react well to a bit of turbulence.

Tbf for all the underachievement and setbacks Liverpool put their fans through, they react much much better than Utd fans.Arsenal are sort of different since most of our UK fanbase are broadly from the London area and we've never collapsed anyway.

There was this little blonde scrotum in my primary school who wasn't a football fan. When the popular kid started supporting Arsenal (around 03/04), Draco Malfoy boy claimed to be a hardcore gooner. The next year, the popular kid started to support Man Utd, and Draco suddenly turned around and claimed he had supported United his entire life. It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic.
Original post by Zürich
myths

A hell of a lot of Utd fans took one terrible season embarrassingly badly

Not really. If you're happy with mediocrity that's fine, but pardon us for a title winning team then finishing 7th the following season and the fans complaining :rolleyes:
Original post by leinad2012
I'll go to a few games every season. The prices are a bit ridiculous at time and I think the season tickets should be a fair bit cheaper so the true hardcore fans can watch all the games, but if the stadium is full are they pricing the tickets incorrectly in the market?

On an economical viewpoint, probably not. We were heavily reliant on player sales and matchday revenue for a very long period and we have the 3rd highest matchday revenue in europe I think which helped us through. However I can't see that being much of a case anymore, especially seeing as our commercial income had increased by over £100m over 5 years and Gazidis promising to lower ticket prices if this happened (instead there was still an increase of like 3(?)% about a year ago). On a moral viewpoint it just breaks the trust between fans and the club and its not all that fair on regular match going fans being priced out of games so that the board can prioritize day-trippers, it makes us seem so corporate and disgusting imo, truly does take the heart out of it. It's even more ludicrous if you take in to account the rumours that we are still sitting atop of piles of cash.
Original post by AR_95
Well it's easy to say you aren't deluded if you're winning back to back titles so that's not exactly something to gloat for. Besides, it's not the only factor to take into consideration.
There's also self entitlement (which you guys are notoriously known to be the worst for)and the way Moyes was treated was shocking.
Saying "you don't put up with nonsense" doesn't justify it either.

Arsenal fans have reason to want more considering we pay the most for our tickets but are provided with mediocrity yeaIt took only one year for your fans to go into meltdown however which sums it all up really. Also I wouldn't say Liverpool fans are by any means the worst. Considering their position I'd say they're more humble than rival clubs (definitely over UTD) bar for last season for obvious reasons.

1. Moyes wasn't treated shockingly. The only wrong thing was the banner over OT, we didn't exactly abuse him at the train station did we :rolleyes:

2. Self-entitlement is totally justified when you win 13 titles in 23 years? (Something like that) don't think that can ever be held over us by any club.

3. Arsenal don't have more to expect as we are a bigger club with more fans, a larger income, more transfer funds etc.

4. Meltdown is thrown around too easily. Going from 1st to 7th is actually appalling, and in any case the "meltdown" has been fully justified by this season.
Original post by Arkasia
Ah I don't know about that. The only reason the stadium is sold out is because we have so many fans to begin with. I mean, the average person spends anywhere between £35-£65 for a ticket (depending on opposition/competition), so it's already expensive as ****, and then when you turn up the atmosphere is piss poor because there are so many rich bastards who get given tickets, and who just sit there. The Arsenal away fans are some of the best in the country, simply because they are hardcore fans who own season tickets. The Arsenal home fans are atrocious.

The fans at home are ****, and the fact that football in the top leagues is becoming a tourist event is disappointing, but like I say, the tickets are selling so they're doing something right.

Tbh it's got to the point that it's irreparable, most fans will go to a couple of games a season as a special event and for me personally I'll go to a lot of my local teams games because it's so much cheaper
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
On an economical viewpoint, probably not. We were heavily reliant on player sales and matchday revenue for a very long period and we have the 3rd highest matchday revenue in europe I think which helped us through. However I can't see that being much of a case anymore, especially seeing as our commercial income had increased by over £100m over 5 years and Gazidis promising to lower ticket prices if this happened (instead there was still an increase of like 3(?)% about a year ago). On a moral viewpoint it just breaks the trust between fans and the club and its not all that fair on regular match going fans being priced out of games so that the board can prioritize day-trippers, it makes us seem so corporate and disgusting imo, truly does take the heart out of it. It's even more ludicrous if you take in to account the rumours that we are still sitting atop of piles of cash.

If you genuinely believed they'd drop the ticket prices then I feel sorry for you, football isn't a working class man's game any more to, it's about money, so much so that teams are buying players purely with the aim of boosting corporate ties and fanbase abroad.

Put simply, dropping the price of each ticket by £10 to a reasonable price would cost us 10*60000*25 (25 is roughly how many home games we play). That's £15mil, do you genuinely think the board are kind enough to not take that money when it's been proven for 10 years that fans are willing to pay that much?
No set of fans is OWED success, especially if said fans turn on the team the moment things go pair shaped (and yes that includes Arsenal fans)
No set of fans is OWED success, especially if said fans turn on the team the moment things go pair shaped (and yes that includes Arsenal fans)

If you really were a fan of the club you'd support it even through the tough times. The "fans" that only support a club because it wins stuff would just support some other club once the former club stops winning anything
Original post by Depleted
1. Moyes wasn't treated shockingly. The only wrong thing was the banner over OT, we didn't exactly abuse him at the train station did we :rolleyes:

2. Self-entitlement is totally justified when you win 13 titles in 23 years? (Something like that) don't think that can ever be held over us by any club.

3. Arsenal don't have more to expect as we are a bigger club with more fans, a larger income, more transfer funds etc.

4. Meltdown is thrown around too easily. Going from 1st to 7th is actually appalling, and in any case the "meltdown" has been fully justified by this season.

1. Using one example of a few fans to judge the majority of the fanbase is stupid. It's like the majority of Chelsea fans are open racist because of a few idiots on a train.
The general attitude towards Moyes was poor however. I could have easily brought up death threats to Moyes on twitter?

2. No it isn't justified. It's like saying "I've had X and Y for so long and now I deserve Z!" 13 titles in 23 years means you should be happy with the success/achievements of the club but not to revolt when things aren't as routine for a year or so.. It shows you're undisputed the most spoilt fanbase

3. Well it's not as simple as that otherwise you'd be 1st right now.

4. Can't dispute this point
(edited 9 years ago)
If you genuinely believed they'd drop the ticket prices then I feel sorry for you, football isn't a working class man's game any more to, it's about money, so much so that teams are buying players purely with the aim of boosting corporate ties and fanbase abroad.

Put simply, dropping the price of each ticket by £10 to a reasonable price would cost us 10*60000*25 (25 is roughly how many home games we play). That's £15mil, do you genuinely think the board are kind enough to not take that money when it's been proven for 10 years that fans are willing to pay that much?

Well I wouldn't expect him to go against his word and increase it when many fans can hardly afford the current prices, as I said it breaks the trust between fans and the club. Wouldn't be surprised if even our hardcore away fanbase becomes more timid because they feel they are just unimportant to the club. Whats left after that?

My point is we really dont need to price our fans out of the game anymore, we only did it when we were heavily reliant on it through a transitional period, but now we are becoming a commercial powerhouse regardless of ticket income. Why do you think it is that other teams esp. foreign ones don't mug off their fans like we do? It's because the value isn't how you just calculated it, the pricing of tickets (particularly season tickets) is a 5 minute conversation for the board but the change in price is huge for a fan as Uli Hoeness puts it. Bayern could go and charge as much as they wanted for tickets because frankly they would have a right to because of their success and brand of football, yet their most expensive season ticket is half of our cheapest. Obviously we aren't on a level with Bayern but with incoming TV money, the squad (hopefully) performing to a higher standard and better sponsorship deals there is no reason to strangle the fanbase anymore.

Of course I don't expect them to suddenly drop, but there is no need to still be increasing them. They should definitely look at other clubs models in how to minimise ticket prices while still being competitive financially, the German model especially is admirable.
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
Well I wouldn't expect him to go against his word and increase it when many fans can hardly afford the current prices, as I said it breaks the trust between fans and the club. Wouldn't be surprised if even our hardcore away fanbase becomes more timid because they feel they are just unimportant to the club. Whats left after that?

My point is we really dont need to price our fans out of the game anymore, we only did it when we were heavily reliant on it through a transitional period, but now we are becoming a commercial powerhouse regardless of ticket income. Why do you think it is that other teams esp. foreign ones don't mug off their fans like we do? It's because the value isn't how you just calculated it, the pricing of tickets (particularly season tickets) is a 5 minute conversation for the board but the change in price is huge for a fan as Uli Hoeness puts it. Bayern could go and charge as much as they wanted for tickets because frankly they would have a right to because of their success and brand of football, yet their most expensive season ticket is half of our cheapest. Obviously we aren't on a level with Bayern but with incoming TV money, the squad (hopefully) performing to a higher standard and better sponsorship deals there is no reason to strangle the fanbase anymore.

Of course I don't expect them to suddenly drop, but there is no need to still be increasing them. They should definitely look at other clubs models in how to minimise ticket prices while still being competitive financially, the German model especially is admirable.

The sad fact is that the whole stadium is aimed largely at the rich fans, you have thousands of seats at box level and club level which are unbelievably extortionate in price and offer very little. I would love it if Arsenal committed to selling, say 10,000 tickets at reduced price per game but it simply won't happen. What a lot of people fail to realise is that whilst Bayern and Barca and the like may offer cheap tickets at like £19, they're the worst seats in the house in row ZZZZ, having been in the top row of the Emirates before I can tell you it is an unbelievably **** atmosphere, you feel closer to your home than the football pitch. Bayerns tickets in decent areas of the stadium (bar season ticket) are upwards of £100.

The system needs to change and the fans aren't even the main source of income for teams anymore, if Arsenal could commit to lowering their season ticket prices and increasing the prices of the really good halfway line seats, then they'd be able to appease the hardcore supporters whilst still bringing in the posh tourists from Asia.
ffs stop moaning about the ticket prices, they're priced correctly, sold out game, long season ticket waiting list, as well as the fact we're based in zone 2 London.
Jack and Abou playing tonight in the U21 game. Might be worth a watch.
Original post by Zürich
myths

A hell of a lot of Utd fans took one terrible season embarrassingly badly

How would you feel if Arsenal appointed Sam Allardyce, brought in Andy Carroll as their only summer signing and finished 7th playing god awful hoofball and regularly losing to teams like QPR?
The sad fact is that the whole stadium is aimed largely at the rich fans, you have thousands of seats at box level and club level which are unbelievably extortionate in price and offer very little. I would love it if Arsenal committed to selling, say 10,000 tickets at reduced price per game but it simply won't happen. What a lot of people fail to realise is that whilst Bayern and Barca and the like may offer cheap tickets at like £19, they're the worst seats in the house in row ZZZZ, having been in the top row of the Emirates before I can tell you it is an unbelievably **** atmosphere, you feel closer to your home than the football pitch. Bayerns tickets in decent areas of the stadium (bar season ticket) are upwards of £100.

The system needs to change and the fans aren't even the main source of income for teams anymore, if Arsenal could commit to lowering their season ticket prices and increasing the prices of the really good halfway line seats, then they'd be able to appease the hardcore supporters whilst still bringing in the posh tourists from Asia.

I agree in a sense, while I think ticket prices can and should go down, its a distant reality at this point in time because of the mentality and financial model of the club. You can get Bayern standing tickets or Dortmund "Yellow Wall" stand tickets for under a tenner in some cases, so it's not always row Z tickets, but still on average their best seats in the house are still enormously cheaper than ours. Agree that the stats can be skewed by this though. Really? I've never seen any matchday tickets go for that much, you could get a Bayern season ticket for that and our most expensive match day ticket is less. I even remember them subsidizing the trip to Emirates a year ago (http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/jan/17/football-ticket-prices-premier-league-europe from 2 years ago but that says that the highest priced for Bayern is £58 on a match day)

I still don't think we need to increase any ticket prices, were already strong financially and by keeping costs as low as possible (strict wage structure being one of the main things) and by expanding commercially we can easily pass that on to fans while still being competitive, even a price freeze would be a start. English clubs in general are incredibly reckless in running themselves but thats mainly down to the low risk of it all because of the money thats being pumped around.
I'm liking Wilshere's beard game too

Real question is, who's that standing next to him? Sad times when you don't even know players in your squad. :colonhash:
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Real question is, who's that standing next to him? Sad times when you don't even know players in your squad. :colonhash:

Daniel "The next Wilshere" Crowley.
Crowley and Wilshere have some great understanding in this game. Hope Crowley plays in some league cup games next season.

Latest