The Student Room Group

Tissues vs Organs

My exam board seems to like asking the difference between the two, and while I obviously know what it is (tissues are smaller!) I'm not actually sure how to describe the difference?

I mean: "tissues are groups of cells with a similar role, and organs are groups of similar tissues that work together to perform some function" is just a long way around saying "both tissues and organs are a bunch of similar-ish cells working to do something. The difference is that in tissues they're more similar, and in organs the function is more obvious" Which doesn't sound very good.

I have the same problem with taxonomy, how do I describe the difference between a genus and a family?
Original post by lerjj
My exam board seems to like asking the difference between the two, and while I obviously know what it is (tissues are smaller!) I'm not actually sure how to describe the difference?

I mean: "tissues are groups of cells with a similar role, and organs are groups of similar tissues that work together to perform some function" is just a long way around saying "both tissues and organs are a bunch of similar-ish cells working to do something. The difference is that in tissues they're more similar, and in organs the function is more obvious" Which doesn't sound very good.

I have the same problem with taxonomy, how do I describe the difference between a genus and a family?

Not so sure what exam board your on but Edexcel Biology provides the definitions;

"Tissues are a group of the same cell type working to function for one function" or something along those lines
"Organs are a group of different tissues that work together for one function"

The difference between organs are made of similar tissues, tissues are made of the same type of cell.

And I don't think you need to learn the difference between genus and a family. Family is simply a group of genus I guess and Genus is a group of species I guess

For Edexcel (I think pointing out your exam board might have helped making things easier), you're only expected to learn the old classification order (Kingdom, Phyllum, blah blah, blah. - good way to remember is King Phillip Can Only Find Green Socks) and the new classification and what's that all about for Taxonomy. Not entirely sure about what exam you're on though :redface:
Reply 2
Original post by zhang-liao
Not so sure what exam board your on but Edexcel Biology provides the definitions;

"Tissues are a group of the same cell type working to function for one function" or something along those lines
"Organs are a group of different tissues that work together for one function"

The difference between organs are made of similar tissues, tissues are made of the same type of cell.

And I don't think you need to learn the difference between genus and a family. Family is simply a group of genus I guess and Genus is a group of species I guess

For Edexcel (I think pointing out your exam board might have helped making things easier), you're only expected to learn the old classification order (Kingdom, Phyllum, blah blah, blah. - good way to remember is King Phillip Can Only Find Green Socks) and the new classification and what's that all about for Taxonomy. Not entirely sure about what exam you're on though :redface:

Thanks, yeah I'm Edexcel. Ok, I'll just learn those :smile:
Original post by lerjj
Thanks, yeah I'm Edexcel. Ok, I'll just learn those :smile:

An example:

Blood vessels are organs, as they contain many different tissue types: endothelial tissue, smooth muscle tissue and connective tissue. All three of these tissues have a different function, and they are made up of many similar cells which carry out the same function.

Does that make sense?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending