The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lydiaaa1
Can someone help me with this question?
How many DNA molecules will have been produced from one molecule of DNA after 6 complete cycles?
I think there's an equation or something but I have no idea!

6 complete cycles of what ? PCR ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bit stuck on something was just wondering
If you had a question on how an action potential is passed along the motor neurone to the neuromuscular junction what would you write? Would you talk about how an action potential takes place at nodes of ranvier and do you have to talk about the depolarisation or is that going into too much detail?
Sorry and thank you!! :smile:
Anyone got the Unit 5 AQA Biology 2014 paper? I'd have thought they'd be up by now :frown:
Thanks!
Original post by pinkgorilla
6 complete cycles of what ? PCR ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oops I forgot that bit, yeah it's PCR
Original post by Holly16263
Bit stuck on something was just wondering
If you had a question on how an action potential is passed along the motor neurone to the neuromuscular junction what would you write? Would you talk about how an action potential takes place at nodes of ranvier and do you have to talk about the depolarisation or is that going into too much detail?
Sorry and thank you!! :smile:

If there is a diagram that shows that the neurone is myelinated (which for a motor neurone is probably the case), then talk about saltatory conduction etc.

I think it would be quite important to talk about depolarisation, it's the safest bet with biology
Can someone help me with this question?
How many DNA molecules will have been produced from one molecule of DNA after 6 complete cycles of PCR?
I think there's an equation or something but I have no idea!

I guess there is an equation but you don't have to think of it like that.

Just think:

After one cycle = 2 DNA molecules
After two cycles = 4 DNA molecules
After three cycles =8 DNA molecules etc

During each cycle, each DNA molecules is being replicated.

So the answer is 2^6 or 64
Original post by Efemena15
I guess there is an equation but you don't have to think of it like that.

Just think:

After one cycle = 2 DNA molecules
After two cycles = 4 DNA molecules
After three cycles =8 DNA molecules etc

During each cycle, each DNA molecules is being replicated.

So the answer is 2^6 or 64

That makes so much sense now, thank you!
Original post by Efemena15
If there is a diagram that shows that the neurone is myelinated (which for a motor neurone is probably the case), then talk about saltatory conduction etc.

I think it would be quite important to talk about depolarisation, it's the safest bet with biology

Okay thank you!! :biggrin:
That makes so much sense now, thank you!

No worries :biggrin:
Original post by jadys10
Not unit 5 but...

do you know where you can get the unit 5 june 2014 papers? i thought aqa would have released them by now...
Original post by cheng.shiyang
do you know where you can get the unit 5 june 2014 papers? i thought aqa would have released them by now...

I got mine off someone. But I only have unit 4. Aqa is so slow with everything. Edexcel has already released their 2014 papers.
The Unit 5 essay (2014) was about energy transfer in organisms (heard from a teacher) what sort of topics would you write about for this?
Reply 113
Original post by TheRaspberry
The Unit 5 essay (2014) was about energy transfer in organisms (heard from a teacher) what sort of topics would you write about for this?

Losing heat energy through respiration.
Food chains

Posted from TSR Mobile
anyone have any predictions on the essay for this year? I am praying that its not to do with DNA tech but i think it might come up as the last time it was used was 2011.

any guesses? lol
Original post by Baloney26
There's a thread on student room with all of the old spec questions arranged into topic it's called something like aqa 500 past paper questions biol 5, that's really useful!

If anyone has access to the june 2014 unit 5 paper can you please reply to this or message me privately need to see the paper see what stuff came and last year and also to just practice thanks!
Original post by adam100249848
If anyone has access to the june 2014 unit 5 paper can you please reply to this or message me privately need to see the paper see what stuff came and last year and also to just practice thanks!

Yeh could anyone give me access to this paper as well need to do it for revision :smile:
Does anyone know if we have to know about dioxins, and about the lac operon?? My teacher made like 3 lessons out of those topics but I can't find them on the syllabus, only as examples of application questions in the books... :smile:
Original post by MollyMcFly1
Does anyone know if we have to know about dioxins, and about the lac operon?? My teacher made like 3 lessons out of those topics but I can't find them on the syllabus, only as examples of application questions in the books... :smile:

Literally never heard of them and I've revised unit 4 & 5 fully now so hope we don't!
Original post by Baloney26
Literally never heard of them and I've revised unit 4 & 5 fully now so hope we don't!

Yeah I've revised all of it all the way through and neither topic comes up in any of my 3 books. Only seen it mentioned as an application question. Nice big waste of time in lessons then! :')

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending