The Student Room Group

merchandiser

What does this job actually involve does anyone here do this job or know someone who does this job and how much they get paid etc.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bump
bump
Entry level you're looking at 18,000 then next step up averages £25...merchandisers (managers) average around £40-60 then merchandising directors/heads of dept looking at £100k.

It's basically inventory and budget management. Entry level its more admin and logistics then as you move up its about product assortment planning and ensuring product lines are profitable, maximising sales opportunities and de-risking dead stock.
Original post by Placement_stud
Entry level you're looking at 18,000 then next step up averages £25...merchandisers (managers) average around £40-60 then merchandising directors/heads of dept looking at £100k.

It's basically inventory and budget management. Entry level its more admin and logistics then as you move up its about product assortment planning and ensuring product lines are profitable, maximising sales opportunities and de-risking dead stock.

Oh right cheers for replying. Do you have to have a degree. I know people who have degrees and do it but wonder why they didn't go for something better. Also whn you say merchandiser (manager) say if it just says on their linkedin 'merchandiser' does that mean they will be on 25k.
Original post by Guy Secretan
Oh right cheers for replying. Do you have to have a degree. I know people who have degrees and do it but wonder why they didn't go for something better. Also whn you say merchandiser (manager) say if it just says on their linkedin 'merchandiser' does that mean they will be on 25k.

Well as with most jobs nowadays you need a degree but it's just a standard requirement rather than something that will give you any real advantage. Not quite sure what you mean about going for something 'better'...if you mean money wise then I guess it's the same answer as to why not everyone wants to work in IB/consultancy. Maybe that career path suits their skills or it'd be something they like. Those who have merchandiser as their job title will be on around 40-60k and that will often come with a bonus.
Original post by Placement_stud
Well as with most jobs nowadays you need a degree but it's just a standard requirement rather than something that will give you any real advantage. Not quite sure what you mean about going for something 'better'...if you mean money wise then I guess it's the same answer as to why not everyone wants to work in IB/consultancy. Maybe that career path suits their skills or it'd be something they like. Those who have merchandiser as their job title will be on around 40-60k and that will often come with a bonus.

wow that is still an amazing salary I thought it would be only 25k also just to clarify is a degree an essential requirement?
Original post by Guy Secretan
bump

Took you 4 months to decide you really wanted to know the answer to this question lol?
Original post by fajitamunch
Took you 4 months to decide you really wanted to know the answer to this question lol?

no I forgot about it
I would say it's something of a catch-all job title for a variety of roles.

e.g. You know when you go shopping and there's a stand with some sort of gadget you're not really sure you need on it, say tumble dryer balls, and on that stand is a telly playing a looped advert for those tumble dryer balls. Well that stand is owned by the company that markets tumble dryer balls and the job title of the person who goes out and replenishes those tumble dryer balls and switches the tellys back on after they've annoyed the shop staff so much they've turned them off is 'merchandiser'

e.g.

http://www.jmlinvest.com/other/jobs.html

Job Purpose

To create visual excitement in our retail stores through external window displays, internal visual displays and high standards of visual merchandising .

Key Responsibilities

Interpreting visual guidelines set by our franchise partners
Creating initiative techniques of window display
Creating window concepts
Training sales consultants to maintain standards set
Ensuring merchandising has a positive commercial impact
Protecting company assets (visual Props)

Qualifications & Experience

Graduate (not essential)
3+ years of experience in a similar position

Salary

Between 8,000 10,000 (all inclusive) + medical insurance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending