The Student Room Group

Polish prince challenges Farage to sword duel

:lol:

[video="youtube;w8w-KJRLEaw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8w-KJRLEaw[/video]

Scroll to see replies

Ikr I like like
Please god someone make this happen.
Farage would have to sober up a bit for this meet.
I hope Nigel accepts the offer and turns up with the good English shotgun.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Farage would have to sober up a bit for this meet.

Farage should simply do what the Wehrmacht did to the Polish Cavalry and come at them with Panzer tanks or in an individual one on one case, a firearm. I think it must be something ingrained in Polish society to continue like idiots to use obsolete tactics and then proceed to get decimated and then whine about it later on. It is why Russia and Prussia both made Poland their bitch during the rules of Frederick The Great and Catherine The Great respectively.
Original post by revēlātiō
Farage should simply do what the Wehrmacht did to the Polish Cavalry and come at them with Panzer tanks. I think it must be something ingrained in Polish society to continue like idiots to use obsolete tactics. It is why Russia and Prussia both made Poland their bitch during the rules of Frederick The Great and Catherine The Great respectively.

There is something very refined and gentlemanly about it though. The idea of well dressed aristocrats with polished boots drawing swords. Bit like Poldark. :love:
Reply 7
I think it must be something ingrained in Polish society to continue like idiots to use obsolete tactics and then proceed to get decimated and then whine about it later on.

Must be something ingrained in you to spout such rubbish of which you clearly know nothing about. Go read up on the, frankly amazing, defence the poles put up in WW2, particularly the airforce.
There is something very refined and gentlemanly about it though. The idea of well dressed aristocrats with polished boots drawing swords. Bit like Poldark. :love:

The most hilarious duellers I know of are

1) Sir Robert Peel, who was challenged to a duel, invited his opponent to come to meet him and then had the person arrested because duelling was illegal under British law!

2) President Andrew Jackson who fought in 103 duels, beat the hell out of an attempted assassin, and regretted on his death bed that he had no killed enough people.

3) Vice President Aaron Burr who killed Treasurer and founding father Alexander Hamilton. Went away for a while until everyone had forgotten about it, attempted a coup d'état apparently and then finally settled as a lawyer in New York.
Original post by Reue
Must be something ingrained in you to spout such rubbish of which you clearly know nothing about. Go read up on the, frankly amazing, defence the poles put up in WW2, particularly the airforce.

Apparently the Polish 303 Squadron of the RAF shot down more German planes than any other.
http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/polish_pilots_britain.htm
Original post by Reue

Someone angry? The polish contribution to the airforce was massively overrated and drunkenness was common across the Polish army. Plus the Warsaw Uprising and the crushing of the Polish resistance was hilarious and one of the reasons why Joseph Stalin should be remembered as a war God, in his epic awesomeness.
Reply 11
The most hilarious duellers I know of are

1) Sir Robert Peel, who was challenged to a duel, invited his opponent to come to meet him and then had the person arrested because duelling was illegal under British law!

2) President Andrew Jackson who fought in 103 duels, beat the hell out of an attempted assassin, and regretted on his death bed that he had no killed enough people.

3) Vice President Aaron Burr who killed Treasurer and founding father Alexander Hamilton. Went away for a while until everyone had forgotten about it, attempted a coup d'état apparently and then finally settled as a lawyer in New York.

Ahhhh.... Must be an Andrew thing:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Someone angry? The polish contribution to the airforce was massively overrated and drunkenness was common across the Polish army. Plus the Warsaw Uprising and the crushing of the Polish resistance was hilarious and one of the reasons why Joseph Stalin should be remembered as a war God, in his epic awesomeness.

Why would I be angry? I'm not polish.

More annoyed at the ignorance.
Original post by Reue

They charged tanks with horses. That's not heroic, that utter stupidity.

Get off your high horse.

Edit: My claim is that a charge by horses against armoured vehicles that prolonged a nations defeat by a couple of hours at a cost of one third of the units strength is utter stupidity. And I stand by that view.
(edited 9 years ago)

Farage is not part of the aristocracy. That polish prince can have his nostalgic good old days duel and turn up with a sword, but don't expect not to get shot.
Reply 15
Original post by PowelliteScum :)
They charged tanks with horses. That's not heroic, that utter stupidity.

Get off your high horse.

Source?
Reply 17

The incident became notable as reporters visiting the site soon after saw the dead bodies of horses and cavalrymen which led to false reports of Polish cavalry attacking German tanks
:rolleyes:
Original post by PowelliteScum :)
Farage is not part of the aristocracy. That polish prince can have his nostalgic good old days duel and turn up with a sword, but don't expect not to get shot.

Ha, yeah, I think I realised that Farage is not, exactly, er, harumph, aristocratic. :lol:

I was more thinking of the general concept. :yep:
Original post by Reue

The incident became notable as reporters visiting the site soon after saw the dead bodies of horses and cavalrymen which led to false reports of Polish cavalry attacking German tanks
:rolleyes:

The Polish were using horses, and the Germans were using tanks. :rolleyes:

Just because the actual charge was a myth, it does not mean the Polish Army did not use horses to oppose tanks. There were 16 cavalry charges during the war by the Polish cavalry. Read up on it and get off your high horse.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending