The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
Any idea why this is the case?

Overall Cambridge appears to be leading across all varsity sports - although looks like this site needs an update... (2014 partial data)

http://whichvarsitymatch.co.uk

Not the only reason but Sean Bowden is truly fantastic coach. Also with both clubs relying quite heavily on international rowers, the recent records of Oxford constantly winning making them more attractive destination for those international rowers. The Boat Race is nothing like any other varsity sports. Much more money, publicity, prestige are involved. Everyone knows and many care about the boat race, including GB rowing community. No one knows or care about other varsity sports unless you're related to Oxbridge in some way.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by vincrows
Not the only reason but Sean Bowden is truly fantastic coach. Also with both clubs relying quite heavily on international rowers, the recent records of Oxford constantly winning making them more attractive destination for those international rowers. The Boat Race is nothing like any other varsity sports. Much more money, publicity, prestige are involved. Everyone knows and many care about the boat race, including GB rowing community. No one knows or care about other varsity sports unless you're related to Oxbridge in some way.

Yes I get the rowing thing - but I'm surprised that sports funding (excluding rowing) is generally poorer at Cambridge but it does seems to be born out...

I can see Camb is currently 18th in the BUCS league (Ox is 10th)
http://www.bucs.org.uk/BucsCore/bucspoints.aspx?season=14
A question I think about is, If I applied to a different college would I have got an offer? Don't know about you guys but I think I wouldn't have because I probably wouldnt have been interviewed. Places like trinity would have rejected me straight up.
Is the general feeling supposed to be if you van get into one college you can get into the rest?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am just curious no intention of going trinity even if i had the chance. I like Fitz.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
A question I think about is, If I applied to a different college would I have got an offer? Don't know about you guys but I think I wouldn't have because I probably wouldnt have been interviewed. Places like trinity would have rejected me straight up.
Is the general feeling supposed to be if you van get into one college you can get into the rest?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I think about that too. Don't think I would've got in was v lucky with Queens'.
The intention is for it to be the case that where you apply doesn't affect your chances of getting in but I feel like interview performance can vary so much that luck also plays a part (esp. if below average grades/PS/whatever else they use that isn't interviews). But idk really lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

probably not given 1/4 of offers are given via the pool... I.e. you didnt get into one college but you did another.

But for those not pooled i guess theres a fair chance you would have gotten into most colleges?
Original post by jneill
Yes I get the rowing thing - but I'm surprised that sports funding (excluding rowing) is generally poorer at Cambridge but it does seems to be born out...

I can see Camb is currently 18th in the BUCS league (Ox is 10th)
http://www.bucs.org.uk/BucsCore/bucspoints.aspx?season=14

Have no idea about BUCS, to be honest. I know several ex/present rowers at Cambridge (colleges) but ,personally, never heard of them talking about BUCS race. But yes, Oxford do have stronger rowers last few years, no doubt about that. (And actually, Oxbridge is not the strongest in the country....:wink:)
Anyway, rowing on the tideway of the Thames ENTIRELY different ball of game from rowing on other rivers or man-made racing course and it's much, muchlonger than any other race, save for HORR/WHORR (Same course as The Boat Race but in opposite direction=different kind of tide). And with all these historical baggage and public presence it carries, it demands completely different strategy, psychological/physical strength, etc. etc. Y It's such an unique race, you can't really compare with anything else nor can second-guess from other races. That's why it's so interesting to watch.

IF you're interested to know a bit more about what rowing (esp. rowing for The Boat Race) is like, this might be a good starting point.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117973/
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Any idea why this is the case?

Overall Cambridge appears to be leading across all varsity sports - although looks like this site needs an update... (2014 partial data)

http://whichvarsitymatch.co.uk

From a personal view we lack a swimming pool which for a university that is supposedly the same caliber as Harvard Stanford etc is ridiculous.

From a university stance there hasn't been a review of how funding is done fir a long period of time, its well known that the sport syndicate gives out considerably less money than is spent by societies and much of the shortfall js made up for by competing students.

https://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/reporter/2013-14/weekly/6343/SportReviewRevisedReport.pdf this review was passed in November but none of the changes will occur until next year

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Goods
From a personal view we lack a swimming pool which for a university that is supposedly the same caliber as Harvard Stanford etc is ridiculous.

From a university stance there hasn't been a review of how funding is done fir a long period of time, its well known that the sport syndicate gives out considerably less money than is spent by societies and much of the shortfall js made up for by competing students.

https://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/reporter/2013-14/weekly/6343/SportReviewRevisedReport.pdf this review was passed in November but none of the changes will occur until next year

Posted from TSR Mobile

theres a swimming pool in girton?
Original post by HeavisideDelts
theres a swimming pool in girton?

Lol not sure if serious
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Lol not sure if serious

there is lol. Serious

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Lol not sure if serious

Also Christ's. Outdoors though. Brrrrrr.

Olympic sized pool is planned for Cambridge. Don't know when it'll be built....

Posted from TSR Mobile
there is lol. Serious

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah a pool, but not sure it's like fit for training and stuff
Original post by jneill
Also Christ's. Outdoors though. Brrrrrr.

Olympic sized pool is planned for Cambridge. Don't know when it'll be built....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah haha, where even is it, I didn't see it both times I went up
Does anyone know if Cambridge would ever let you defer your offer?
Original post by alwaysalex

Probably if you ask them before results day. going to depend entirely on the people who gave you an offer though, so best off querying it with them
Original post by alwaysalex

Interviewers said that you could, but the earlier the better bc of admin. I'd say anytime before results should be fine but yeah best off asking

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cerlohee
Interviewers said that you could, but the earlier the better bc of admin. I'd say anytime before results should be fine but yeah best off asking

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's interesting. I'd have thought it would deprive the next ranked person a place? I.e. if someone declared they were deferring when they first applied then Cambridge would be in a position to offer that place to someone else this year? But if they do it after offers have been issued the places would have already been allocated...

Posted from TSR Mobile
there is lol. Serious

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's like 15 metres long and currently I believe it's out of action. Hardly equivalent to something like this: http://cardinalrec.stanford.edu/aquatics/avery-aquatic-center/.

The proposed university pool isn't going to be built unless someone donates to fund it explicitly which is highly unlikely even though the university can easily afford to pay for the facilities out of its own reserves..

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel exactly the same, I definitely wouldn't have got an interview if I'd applied to a college which didn't interview as high a portion of applicants as Catz does!
I am just curious no intention of going trinity even if i had the chance. I like Fitz.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really like Trinity, do you think there is less chance to get an offer from it than others? Why?
Would you please explain why. I am really interested to know the reasons as I am planning to apply there :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending