The Student Room Group

Free the nipple vs. ban page three

Aren't the same groups lobbying for both?

Scroll to see replies

I suppose both groups want the same thing really. They want women to be empowered rather than objectified. Page 3 type things present women's bodies in a highly sexualised way so that they are appealing to men. However it's frowned upon for women to go topless, even at most beaches, and therefore it seems as though the only way a woman's naked body is acceptable is when it's to please a man.
Reply 2
Original post by suzannataylor
I suppose both groups want the same thing really. They want women to be empowered rather than objectified. Page 3 type things present women's bodies in a highly sexualised way so that they are appealing to men. However it's frowned upon for women to go topless, even at most beaches, and therefore it seems as though the only way a woman's naked body is acceptable is when it's to please a man.

Wouldn't men get pleased with topless women at beaches though?
Your logic is inconclusive honestly, you can't advocate toplessness at beaches and elsewhere but be against page 3, they're pretty much identical in their goal
Yeah... as someone who tends to consider themselves a feminist, I don't really get this. Sure, women should be able to breastfeed in public, but whatever way you want to paint it, 'freeing the nipple' is just a furthering the sexualisation of society. Something that I think is part of the cause of women being objectified... that's sort of why page 3 came about in the first place....
Original post by Bulbasaur
Yeah... as someone who tends to consider themselves a feminist, I don't really get this. Sure, women should be able to breastfeed in public, but whatever way you want to paint it, 'freeing the nipple' is just a furthering the sexualisation of society. Something that I think is part of the cause of women being objectified... that's sort of why page 3 came about in the first place....

Why do you think nudity has to be sexual?

Original post by plusC
Wouldn't men get pleased with topless women at beaches though?
Your logic is inconclusive honestly, you can't advocate toplessness at beaches and elsewhere but be against page 3, they're pretty much identical in their goal

No, because it's women doing it because they want to and because they are comfortable with their bodies, and not for the sole purpose of pleasing men.
One of the things 'free the nipple' say is how it's ridiculous that men can walk around topless but when women do it's seen as wrong.
Reply 5
Why do you think nudity has to be sexual?

No, because it's women doing it because they want to and because they are comfortable with their bodies, and not for the sole purpose of pleasing men.
One of the things 'free the nipple' say is how it's ridiculous that men can walk around topless but when women do it's seen as wrong.

Yep exactly, pleasing men just comes with the package honestly (no pun intended).
So having page 3 allows these women to have a platform to express how comfortable they are with their bodies and show it off to others, likewise free the nipple advocates women freely expressing themselves in public without scrutiny from others or criminal law holding them back. All about letting women do whatever they please with their bodies, they are the same cause.

And I agree its ridiculous, but we don't live in an idealistic world, there will be rapists, perverts, you name it that will want to abuse the power of 'free the nipple'
(edited 9 years ago)
Good points - agree with this.
Reply 7
Does anyone actually look at page three for jollies any more? There's no reason to ban it, IMO, but it's continuing existence is pointless.
Original post by Tabris
Does anyone actually look at page three for jollies any more? There's no reason to ban it, IMO, but it's continuing existence is pointless.

If it meant less sales of the Sun newspaper that would in my opinion be a good thing. Not that sales in Liverpool could get much lower.
Original post by plusC
Yep exactly, pleasing men just comes with the package honestly (no pun intended).
So having page 3 allows these women to have a platform to express how comfortable they are with their bodies and show it off to others, likewise free the nipple advocates women freely expressing themselves in public without scrutiny from others or criminal law holding them back. All about letting women do whatever they please with their bodies, they are the same cause.

And I agree its ridiculous, but we don't live in an idealistic world, there will be rapists, perverts, you name it that will want to abuse the power of 'free the nipple'

I understand where you're coming from but I do think that the two are different. I have absolutely nothing against glamour models but I think that an image that has been paid for, posed and edited presents a different image of women than a woman who's just chilling in a park and having a picnic or whatever. And society seems to be uncomfortable with the latter image. Probably because it isn't sexy.
Yes, but things like page 3 present a woman's body as something that is there for men to enjoy (which it can be, but it certainly isn't just that), and ideas like that are what cause things like rape.
Reply 10
I understand where you're coming from but I do think that the two are different. I have absolutely nothing against glamour models but I think that an image that has been paid for, posed and edited presents a different image of women than a woman who's just chilling in a park and having a picnic or whatever. And society seems to be uncomfortable with the latter image. Probably because it isn't sexy.
Yes, but things like page 3 present a woman's body as something that is there for men to enjoy (which it can be, but it certainly isn't just that), and ideas like that are what cause things like rape.

That's what you think, but women topless anywhere would be sexy if they were sexy... society is probably uncomfortable with the idea of people who don't take care of their hygiene having their bits out.

Yes, the sun is a business (not really a newspaper tbh), if they want to entertain male readers then they should have the right to. The next sentence is pure bull****, just because a woman's body can be something for men to enjoy, doesn't mean that men will rape. Rape is much deeper than page 3 of the Sun ffs.
Original post by plusC
That's what you think, but women topless anywhere would be sexy if they were sexy... society is probably uncomfortable with the idea of people who don't take care of their hygiene having their bits out.

Yes, the sun is a business (not really a newspaper tbh), if they want to entertain male readers then they should have the right to. The next sentence is pure bull****, just because a woman's body can be something for men to enjoy, doesn't mean that men will rape. Rape is much deeper than page 3 of the Sun ffs.

And that's a shame. You should be able to be proud of your body whatever you look like. Sorry, but just because they are a business does not mean that they should have the right to do that, they need to be more responsible for what they print and realise what kind of effect those images have on society and, yes, that kind of culture is an influence of that kind of mindset, a woman's body is seen as a commodity and not something that is treated with respect.
I'm just trying to have an intelligent discussion with you, not put you down or have an argument.
Any attempt to ban page 3 is a curtailment of our fundamental freedoms. I created a thread a few days ago about how feminists want to move us towards dictatorship and the anti page 3 campaign is evidence of their authoritarian beliefs.
The difference between them is mainly figurative and arbitrary. In the end, what it should simply come down to is that if you can't handle seeing a pair of chebs, you're an inadequate human being.
Original post by Bulbasaur

Urm I think the idea is that breasts have been sexualised by society by virtue of them being considered forbidden. In tribes across the world where all the chicks have got their baps out, their society is no more 'sexualised' than ours is.

And what's wrong with things being sexualised anyway? Sex is fantastic.
Reply 15
Thing is, page 3 sexualises and objectifies women. It plays into sexism and all the issues that come with that. It maintains the idea that women and their bodies are for men to look at.
Breastfeeding in public is a problem BECAUSE women have been so sexualised. Breastfeeding is natural, it's how the babies survive yet it's seen as inappropriate.
It's not really about what body part is or isn't on view in public, it's what this means to women and how they're viewed within society as a whole, that is the real debate.
Reply 16
Feminists are ****ing retards who only care about power and control. The paradox of Free The Nipple and Ban Page Three only serves to show that feminists really don't care what woman do with their bodies.
Why won't they go all in and free the puss? It seems hypocritical not to.
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
Why won't they go all in and free the puss? It seems hypocritical not to.

Is it similarly hypocritical for men who go out shirtless to not go out naked? :s-smilie:
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
Is it similarly hypocritical for men who go out shirtless to not go out naked? :s-smilie:

I don't know, are the shirtless men trying to make a point?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending