The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Which club was it with the potato famine and **** off back to ireland chants?
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
My Old Man's a Provo. - That one even has it in the title

That never gets sung. It's not even anything to do with the OBFA either as Celtic fans still sing other banned songs like Roll of Honour and Boys of the Old Brigade.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
No, it wasn't.

I hate Celtic because they support IRA terrorism and because I'm a Rangers fan and that's what rivals do. They are also massive hypocrites.

You aren't the most successful Scottish team. Rangers have won more top division titles.

Think youll go up this year?
Rangers were, but since they don't exist anymore its a bit irrelavent.

--------
To the OP the only people who hate Celtic are 'Rangers' fans.

The SPL sucks though. League 2 and juniors are where its at.
Original post by samba

Rangers
Original post by Quady
Think youll go up this year?
Rangers were, but since they don't exist anymore its a bit irrelavent.

--------
To the OP the only people who hate Celtic are 'Rangers' fans.

The SPL sucks though. League 2 and juniors are where its at.

No idea. We have some terrible players and we are very inconsistent so I don't want to make any predictions.

We still have the same honours and history though so it that sense it is very relevant.

The only people who hate Celtic are Rangers fans? Really? So no non-old firm supporters hate Celtic for the things they do and they stuff they sing?
Original post by M67
I'm an English Celtic fan. I can understand other fans in Scotland hating Celtic as we are the most successful and widely supported Scottish team, the same way most fans in England hate Man United and most fans in Germany hate Bayern Munich etc. However I've always wondered why so many English fans hate Celtic so much.

Most of them do so because they say Celtic fans support the IRA. This is true, but I don't really see a problem with supporting an organisation which fought for Irish independence from Britain. There are no songs sung by Celtic fans on a matchday which glorify or even mention the PIRA.

Celtic fans do not engage in any sectarian singing; there are no songs sung by Celtic fans which carry slurs against Protestants. The same, however, can't be said about the fans of deidco, formerly known as R*ngers (RIP) who openly sing sectarian songs about Catholics. Yet these fans and that club, for some reason, are much adored by a lot of English supporters. There is so much more that could be said about our dearly departed neighbours, but I'll try and stay on topic.

We also seemed to be hated for our refusal to wear the poppy. In a match vs Aberdeen the Green Brigade ultras group held up banners which read 'Your deeds would shame all the devils in hell. Ireland Iraq Afghanistan. No bloodstained poppy on our hoops'. This was met with complete outrage at the time. Many Scottish Celtic fans originate from Ireland and indeed many Irish fans are season ticket holders at Celtic Park and take the ferry from Ireland for every game. So why does anyone expect them to welcome a symbol of the British army, who occupied and oppressed Ireland and the Irish people for centuries, at Celtic Park and on the Celtic jersey? If one was to give an American flag to an Iraqi boy, who's country has been invaded and destroyed by Americans, he wouldn't exactly embrace the flag. So what's the difference here? The resistance to wearing the poppy by the Celtic support is completely justified imo.

So why do so many people hate Celtic? To me it seems like the cool thing to do. Many people don't even bother looking at the history of Celtic and the history of Ireland and just jump on the bandwagon of hating Celtic and liking R*ngers, because it seems like the norm amongst English fans when it comes to the Old Firm.

People are taught not to like them some people just don't have a brain to utilise so they follow what everyone else believes ap- what has the world come to ? :frown:
Original post by samba

Especially ludicrous since a very large proportion of Rangers fans singing these are Northern Ireland unionists who have ancestors who surely suffered in that famine, and since they're also from Ireland.

The intellect of football fans at times :laugh:
Reply 27
Original post by Zürich
Especially ludicrous since a very large proportion of Rangers fans singing these are Northern Ireland unionists who have ancestors who surely suffered in that famine, and since they're also from Ireland.

The intellect of football fans at times :laugh:

When researching this an hour ago I found out that your man cruyff is so philo-semitic that he had the club serve kosher food before matches and the whole team were like jew but not :lol:
Original post by samba
When researching this an hour ago I found out that your man cruyff is so philo-semitic that he had the club serve kosher food before matches and the whole team were like jew but not :lol:

how odd, never heard of that before. Ajax are historically seen as having some Jewish roots, although like 0.5% of fans these days are, so maybe he was just trying to forge some kind of collective identity.

Hard to get Dutch people to avoid sausages for too long so just proves again his charisma :laugh:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Zürich
how odd, never heard of that before. Ajax are historically seen as having some Jewish roots, although like 0.5% of fans these days are, so maybe he was just trying to forge some kind of collective identity.

Hard to get Dutch people to avoid sausages for too long so just proves again his charisma :laugh:

Nah, he didnt manage that!

Cruyff himself was so philo-Semitic that, as Franklin Foer tells us in his essential “How Soccer Explains the World,” “his club’s strange pre-game rituals included the delivery of a kosher salami, and locker-room banter self-consciously peppered with Yiddish phrases.” The Ajax trainer said that “the players liked to be Jewish, even though they weren’t.” It should come as no surprise that Johan Cruyff’s son Jordi is now the general manager of Maccabi Tel Aviv.
Because of the convicted pedophilia in their youth teams.
Original post by samba
Fair enough. Should double check info before I post it. Thanks for that.

It makes perfect sense too. Protestants in Ireland are pro Israel and Catholics are pro Palestinian.

Celtic fans supporting Palestine isn't anything to do with Catholicism/Protestantism. Celtic were founded in 1888 to provide food and jobs for the impoverished Irish community in Glasgow. Because the club was born out of the political situation in Ireland, Celtic fans have always tended to side with oppressed nations which is why they support Palestine.
Take away all the politics and religion and people would still hate Celtic, and Rangers for that matter, because they are/were habitual winners.
Didn't realise anyone cared about the Old Firm anymore? The standard of the SPL isn't too far off park football.
Original post by sr90
Didn't realise anyone cared about the Old Firm anymore? The standard of the SPL isn't too far off park football.

Celtic would finish midtable in the PL with their current squad, and with PL revenues would be Europa League qualifying easily tbf
I don't know about your British resentments but I'm Polish and they've got some bad press after that crap with Legia.
Original post by Viridiana
I don't know about your British resentments but I'm Polish and they've got some bad press after that crap with Legia.

That Legia story was hilarious. They brought on a suspended player, did they just expect to get let off unpunished? I agree that getting disqualified from the competition was harsh as it was obviously an honest mistake, they were 6-1 up on aggregate with a couple of minutes to go. It's not as if it had a massive effect on the tie. Still though, they ****ked up themselves and then tried to blame Celtic and UEFA, comical stuff.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Celtic would finish midtable in the PL with their current squad, and with PL revenues would be Europa League qualifying easily tbf

I'm not disputing that at all. Rangers would as well.

Their current squad wouldn't get out of the Championship never mind stay up in the PL.
Original post by M67

Most of them do so because they say Celtic fans support the IRA. This is true, but I don't really see a problem with supporting an organisation which fought for Irish independence from Britain.

The people they support murdered hundreds of British people in Northern Ireland and mainland Britain in a terrorist campaign that lasted a period of around twenty years. In up to date terms it would be like supporting ISIS supporters that target British soldiers in Britain.
Original post by Good bloke
The people they support murdered hundreds of British people in Northern Ireland and mainland Britain in a terrorist campaign that lasted a period of around twenty years. In up to date terms it would be like supporting ISIS supporters that target British soldiers in Britain.

The IRA they sing songs about are the IRA that fought in the Irish war of independence in the early 20th century. They don't sing about the PIRA who committed the atrocities you're talking about during the troubles.

Latest