The Student Room Group

AS Psychology AQA PSYA1/2 Revision Thread 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
What psychology books are people using? I cannot revise fro revision books for psychology, so i'm using a CGP psy text book to make notes from

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 81
Hey guys, hope you don't mind me joining, I got 50/100 (d) in psya2 last year and 70/100 (b) in psya1 so I'm resitting psya2 I haven't got a revision guide this year, just my notes and teachers powerpoints and I feel like I haven't done enough revision as I'm concentrating on A2 psychology which is the reason I failed last year now I'm really starting to panic anyone got any revision methods to remember things easily??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BeeBuzz
What psychology books are people using? I cannot revise fro revision books for psychology, so i'm using a CGP psy text book to make notes from

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm using the textbook we are given, AS Psychology for AQA (A) - it splits everything into manageable small sections and pretty much highlights important case studies you need to know. It is the only thing I've used so far (I'm planning to use a wider range of resources with my revision soon) and I've got 100 UMS in both mock psychology exams :-)
Original post by geeee11
Does anyone have the Unit 1 June 2014 paper? :frown:

I do! Not electronically though and I've written all over it as it was my mock paper
Reply 84
Original post by GelukkigChloe
I do! Not electronically though and I've written all over it as it was my mock paper

Is there any way you would be able to list the memory questions that came up?! Don't worry if not :smile:
Hi guys
I was doing a question on outline and evaluation age in ewt and talked about parker and Carranza yarmey etc. Plus evaluated this.
But the mark scheme seems to not have parkers study and has other ones I have never seen or learnt.
This has been the case for 12 markers etc. Where they seem to have different studies. Eg Clarke Stewart wasn't there for a peer relations question.
does this mean my answer is wrong?
Reply 86
Original post by GelukkigChloe
I'm using the textbook we are given, AS Psychology for AQA (A) - it splits everything into manageable small sections and pretty much highlights important case studies you need to know. It is the only thing I've used so far (I'm planning to use a wider range of resources with my revision soon) and I've got 100 UMS in both mock psychology exams :-)

Nice!!! We've only done a one mock exam so far. I'm really annoyed that my teacher doesn't seem bothered about teaching us exam techniques. The fail rate for psy is sooo high at our school (for AS and A2). All the other subjects are ok, so maybe it's the teaching.

I personally don't think i'll fail psychology at all though. It's not hard at all once you get into it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by saran12
Hi guys
I was doing a question on outline and evaluation age in ewt and talked about parker and Carranza yarmey etc. Plus evaluated this.
But the mark scheme seems to not have parkers study and has other ones I have never seen or learnt.
This has been the case for 12 markers etc. Where they seem to have different studies. Eg Clarke Stewart wasn't there for a peer relations question.
does this mean my answer is wrong?

No. If it's not on the mark scheme, then the examiner will use their own knowledge to see whether it is actually a study (they're experts in Psychology remember). If they don't know the study, they'll search it up on the internet as a last resort.

As long as the study you looked at is from a reliable source, such as from a text book, you should be fine.

Hope this helps!
Original post by Toy Soldiers
No. If it's not on the mark scheme, then the examiner will use their own knowledge to see whether it is actually a study (they're experts in Psychology remember). If they don't know the study, they'll search it up on the internet as a last resort.

As long as the study you looked at is from a reliable source, such as from a text book, you should be fine.

Hope this helps!

Okay great what a relief! I use the aqa book so should be fine. Thanks ! :biggrin:
But parker and Carranza study does relate to age and ewt right?
Original post by saran12
Okay great what a relief! I use the aqa book so should be fine. Thanks ! :biggrin:
But parker and Carranza study does relate to age and ewt right?

If I'm not mistaken, I think that's the study on Primary and College Students on EWT, so yes, that does relate to age and EWT. :smile:
The best way I've found to revise is to condense each topic into 1 page covering the outline followed by strengths and weaknesses.
Also practice past papers they are so important as you learn a lot from the mark scheme. Plus making flash cards for specific studies can be very useful. This will be very helpful in remembering the odd study names for evaluation boosting marks.
Also pick out every 12 marker from each exam and go over these as much as you can. Keep doing the papers again and again till the exam as my marks have improved from doing past papers.
So I suggest memorizing your notes fully and then do papers plus add to notes from Mark scheme. Hope we all ace these two exams!!!!!
Original post by saran12
The best way I've found to revise is to condense each topic into 1 page covering the outline followed by strengths and weaknesses.
Also practice past papers they are so important as you learn a lot from the mark scheme. Plus making flash cards for specific studies can be very useful. This will be very helpful in remembering the odd study names for evaluation boosting marks.
Also pick out every 12 marker from each exam and go over these as much as you can. Keep doing the papers again and again till the exam as my marks have improved from doing past papers.
So I suggest memorizing your notes fully and then do papers plus add to notes from Mark scheme. Hope we all ace these two exams!!!!!

Good tips!

If we all ace these two exams, they'll dramatically increase the grade boundaries!!!
If I'm not mistaken, I think that's the study on Primary and College Students on EWT, so yes, that does relate to age and EWT. :smile:

Yes that's right. But can you or someone explain the findings of this study plz? As I'm confused. Did they just find young children are inaccurate suggesting older the age accuracy of ewt increases.? Also does yarmey support this or against it. Plus how does anatasia study relate to it and does ot support parker ? I'm confused on how to use these studies as evaluation
thanks !
(edited 9 years ago)
Good tips!

If we all ace these two exams, they'll dramatically increase the grade boundaries!!!

Haha very true +
How would you answer a 12 marker on Independent behaviour? Its been a few years since it last came and it is highly likely to be a big mark question...

I have looked on every possible website and in every book, but it all seems hopeless (I don't know where to start!)

Any help would be appreciated :smile: Thanks
Reply 95
Original post by hpiercey3
How would you answer a 12 marker on Independent behaviour? Its been a few years since it last came and it is highly likely to be a big mark question...

I have looked on every possible website and in every book, but it all seems hopeless (I don't know where to start!)

I would look at the factors that influence whether we conform or not. For example, the situational factors (Group size and social support). With these, i would explain the variations of Asch's study to conclude how these factors are effective. This should get you at least 6 marks (3 for each factor).

I would then talk about other factors that might influence it, such as gender, confidence and expertise and personality (for example locus of control). This would get you another 6 marks.

Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by saran12
Yes that's right. But can you or someone explain the findings of this study plz? As I'm confused. Did they just find young children are inaccurate suggesting older the age accuracy of ewt increases.? Also does yarmey support this or against it. Plus how does anatasia study relate to it and does ot support parker ? I'm confused on how to use these studies as evaluation
thanks !

Parker and Carranza's study found that children had the highest rate of choosing the photos (they're more confident than college students) but they are more likely to make mistakes. Therefore children are least accurate. That means what you said was right.

Anastasi and Rhodes looked into own age bias and found out that the younger the age, the better the recall, but all age groups were better at recognising their own age group. - talk about disadvantages of this study such as that they did it in a lab and also individual differences. This doesn't really support Parker's study because younger ages are more accurate.

Yarmey's study supports Parker's study because they found out that younger age groups were more confident in their recall, however they concluded that age doesn't really affect EWT, so it can go both ways. - talk about reliability in this study because it can be difficult to repeat this study and also take note of own age bias (link this back to Anastasi's study as this makes the results less valid)

Hope this helps.
Parker and Carranza's study found that children had the highest rate of choosing the photos (they're more confident than college students) but they are more likely to make mistakes. Therefore children are least accurate. That means what you said was right.

Anastasi and Rhodes looked into own age bias and found out that the younger the age, the better the recall, but all age groups were better at recognising their own age group. - talk about disadvantages of this study such as that they did it in a lab and also individual differences. This doesn't really support Parker's study because younger ages are more accurate.

Yarmey's study supports Parker's study because they found out that younger age groups were more confident in their recall, however they concluded that age doesn't really affect EWT, so it can go both ways. - talk about reliability in this study because it can be difficult to repeat this study and also take note of own age bias (link this back to Anastasi's study as this makes the results less valid)

Hope this helps.

Great you summed up everything. Thanks a lot !
Original post by hpiercey3

this is quite straightforward. You need to talk about how those with an internal locus of control are less likely to obey or conform and remain independent.
Also resisting pressures to obey you talk about valid social support of confederates plus when study was moved from yale to office block it reduced obey levels etc. Evaluate this through how it lacks validity as in milgrams study participants may how found our true aim accounting for demand characteristics etc. (Orne and Holland) plus rank and jacobson found lower obedience levels in real life situations of nurses. Hofling can be used to support milgrams study.
finally is add in resisting pressures to conform. These include Allen and levine study of vaild social support. Evaluate this too.
Check out the mark scheme too if your still in doubt and the aqa book.

Hope this helps
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by BeeBuzz
Nice!!! We've only done a one mock exam so far. I'm really annoyed that my teacher doesn't seem bothered about teaching us exam techniques. The fail rate for psy is sooo high at our school (for AS and A2). All the other subjects are ok, so maybe it's the teaching. I personally don't think i'll fail psychology at all though. It's not hard at all once you get into it Posted from TSR Mobile

Last year everybody got a D or below in AS Psychology but it seems that our year are doing well, with most people getting a B or above. Though, we have a new attractive teacher teaching one unit so no wonder we do better in it :colondollar: I guess it is a mixture of class ability, teaching and independent work

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending