The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Science with an Integrated Foundation

I applied to Manchester for Physics with Theoretical Physics but the gave me an offer of Science with an Integrated Foundation, and I don't know if the extra year is worth it, once that I have offers for direct entry and Birmingham and York.

Can anyone clarify me on the subjects covered on year 0 and give me some advice please ?

I would be so thankful ^^

Scroll to see replies

The foundation year is broken up into 4 Super Units which, for the Physics pathway, would consist of the following units:

Super Unit 1
Maths OB1/OC1
Maths ON1
Maths OB2/OC2

Super Unit 2
Physics: Matter
Physics: World of the Electron
Physics: Waves

Super Unit 3
Physics: Further
Maths OF2
Maths OJ2

Super Unit 4
ICT
Academic Skills
Project

To get onto a Physics course, you need to get a minimum of 80% in Super Units 1,2 and 3 and 70% in Super Unit 4. Much of the material covered is similar to that of A-level Maths, Further Maths and Physics with a few exceptions. Broadly speaking, the Maths units cover the following topics:

OB1 - Algebra, Functions, Differentiation, Integration, Series
OB2 - Complex Numbers, Geometry, Matrices, Further Integration, Further Differentiation
ON1 - Logic, Sets, Polynomials
OF2 - Vectors, Probability, Statistics
OJ2 - Mechanics

OC1 and OC2 are run as alternative units to OB1 and OB2 for students who don't have the Maths ability required and so generally cover more elementary topics.

The Physics modules are fairly self-explanatory with the Further Physics unit just going into the previous material in more depth.

It's difficult to explain everything concisely so if you want to know about something in more detail, let me know. :smile:

EDIT: I forgot to explain Super Unit 4. ICT and Academic Skills are extremely easy and just involve basic computer and referencing skills. The Project unit is a group project that you undertake under the supervision of someone from your prospective school. I'm not sure what the Physics students did but to illustrate; the Electrical and Electronic Engineering students designed a circuit to regulate a CPU's temperature by controlling a fan.
(edited 9 years ago)
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
What about chemistry thing? I saw it somewhere you can decide the content of the course you want do to or something like that if I not mistaken.
I also applying the same course and got an interview on 25th xD
Original post by Mavisx
What about chemistry thing? I saw it somewhere you can decide the content of the course you want do to or something like that if I not mistaken.
I also applying the same course and got an interview on 25th xD

I replied to you on another thread but I didn't know that you were planning to do Physics. Only some course pathways get to choose optional modules and Physics isn't one of them, unfortunately. You'll be locked into the units I listed above, you won't get to choose anything.
Reply 4
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
The foundation year is broken up into 4 Super Units which, for the Physics pathway, would consist of the following units:

Super Unit 1
Maths OB1/OC1
Maths ON1
Maths OB2/OC2

Super Unit 2
Physics: World of the Electron

Super Unit 3
Physics: Further
Maths OF2
Maths OJ2

Super Unit 4
ICT
Academic Skills
Project

To get onto a Physics course, you need to get a minimum of 80% in Super Units 1,2 and 3 and 70% in Super Unit 4. Much of the material covered is similar to that of A-level Maths, Further Maths and Physics with a few exceptions. Broadly speaking, the Maths units cover the following topics:

OB2 - Complex Numbers, Geometry, Matrices, Further Integration, Further Differentiation
ON1 - Logic, Sets, Polynomials
OJ2 - Mechanics

OC1 and OC2 are run as alternative units to OB1 and OB2 for students who don't have the Maths ability required and so generally cover more elementary topics.

The Physics modules are fairly self-explanatory with the Further Physics unit just going into the previous material in more depth.

It's difficult to explain everything concisely so if you want to know about something in more detail, let me know. :smile:

EDIT: I forgot to explain Super Unit 4. ICT and Academic Skills are extremely easy and just involve basic computer and referencing skills. The Project unit is a group project that you undertake under the supervision of someone from your prospective school. I'm not sure what the Physics students did but to illustrate; the Electrical and Electronic Engineering students designed a circuit to regulate a CPU's temperature by controlling a fan.

Thank you so much for your answer ! :smile: It helped me a lot !
Reply 5
Hi I got an offer of science foundation in Manchester. But they need my grades BBB and I'm doing Alevel in one year seems a little difficult to get BBB. And I'm an international student. Would they may lower the requirement when I get my result that is not enough? Thank you very much!
Original post by wzk006jx
Hi I got an offer of science foundation in Manchester. But they need my grades BBB and I'm doing Alevel in one year seems a little difficult to get BBB. And I'm an international student. Would they may lower the requirement when I get my result that is not enough? Thank you very much!

Possibly, it depends on too many factors for anyone to really be able to predict whether they would though. If you miss your offer, the University no longer has any obligations towards you so it's completely up to them whether they still take you or not.
Reply 7
I searched previous titles and found a student who just got BCC and he still went to the foundation cause, so I think maybe I can talk to them when I got my result cause I really want to go to Manchester and I have been attented an interview for undergraduate of Manchester, they gave me AAA for my undergraduate course :frown: it's very hard to get AAA in one year...
Original post by wzk006jx
I searched previous titles and found a student who just got BCC and he still went to the foundation cause, so I think maybe I can talk to them when I got my result cause I really want to go to Manchester and I have been attented an interview for undergraduate of Manchester, they gave me AAA for my undergraduate course :frown: it's very hard to get AAA in one year...

Yeah, there will be plenty of people who got in without meeting their offer but that doesn't guarantee the same will happen to you. Foundation years are harder to predict than normal courses as people tend to have a much wider range of grades and backgrounds. If I was you I'd just focus on trying to meet your offer, it will save you a lot of stress and worry if you're able to. Also, if you're finding it difficult to get BBB now, you might struggle when you actually get to University level.
Reply 9
Yeah, there will be plenty of people who got in without meeting their offer but that doesn't guarantee the same will happen to you. Foundation years are harder to predict than normal courses as people tend to have a much wider range of grades and backgrounds. If I was you I'd just focus on trying to meet your offer, it will save you a lot of stress and worry if you're able to. Also, if you're finding it difficult to get BBB now, you might struggle when you actually get to University level.

Thank you for your reply ! I'm trying to Erik hard now !
Im pretty much in the same situation, I applied for Chemistry but I was offered a place in the Science foundation course.
Although I have offers from 1st year entry from other uni's I would like to study in Manchester.
So 1 question: is it really difficult to pass the foundation exams and be selected in the chemistry bsc/Msc course?
And what would the modules be for chemistry? Is it just chem, physics and maths or you have biology/biochemistry etc?
Sent from my MT27i using Tapatalk 2
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dragonborn10
Im pretty much in the same situation, I applied for Chemistry but I was offered a place in the Science foundation course.
Although I have offers from 1st year entry from other uni's I would like to study in Manchester.
So 1 question: is it really difficult to pass the foundation exams and be selected in the chemistry bsc/Msc course?
And what would the modules be for chemistry? Is it just chem, physics and maths or you have biology/biochemistry etc?

No, it's not particularly difficult to pass the foundation year. The pass requirements for Chemistry are a bit higher than mine were, however.

The modules you would take for the Chemistry track are as follows:

Chemistry 1

Chemistry 2

Chemistry 3

Maths OB1/OC1

Maths OB2/OC2

Maths ON1

Maths OF2

ICT

Academic Skills

Project

The Maths and Physics modules cover material that is largely similar to the A-level syllabus (with the exception of ON1) and I'd imagine the Chemistry modules do the same.
No, it's not particularly difficult to pass the foundation year. The pass requirements for Chemistry are a bit higher than mine were, however.

The modules you would take for the Chemistry track are as follows:

Chemistry 1

Chemistry 2

Chemistry 3

Maths OB1/OC1

Maths OB2/OC2

Maths ON1

Maths OF2

ICT

Academic Skills

Project

The Maths and Physics modules cover material that is largely similar to the A-level syllabus (with the exception of ON1) and I'd imagine the Chemistry modules do the same.

Thank you so much mate :-)

I am not studying a levels so I really dont know the topics they cover. About the maths involved (i see a lot of modules :-P ) is it all kinds of maths like algebra, Euclidean geometry, analytical geometry,calculus etc or certain parts that will help me with chemistry?

Also,do you know if I should buy any books or they'll inform me there?

Thank you so much mate :-)

I am not studying a levels so I really dont know the topics they cover. About the maths involved (i see a lot of modules :-P ) is it all kinds of maths like algebra, Euclidean geometry, analytical geometry,calculus etc or certain parts that will help me with chemistry?

Also,do you know if I should buy any books or they'll inform me there?

The Maths content isn't Chemistry-specific, the modules are shared by students going into other Science and Engineering fields so it's fairly general stuff. I can give you a breakdown of the main topics covered if that helps:

OB2 - Complex Numbers, Geometry, Matrices, Further Differentiation, Further Integration
ON1 - Sets, Logic, Proof by contradiction and induction, Polynomials

As for books, they're completely optional. Some lecturers will suggest books to supplement their course but it's by no means necessary to actually read them. I got through the entire year by just using lecture notes and the internet. Even if you were to look at some of the suggested reading, you could find most, if not all, of the books in the library.
The Maths content isn't Chemistry-specific, the modules are shared by students going into other Science and Engineering fields so it's fairly general stuff. I can give you a breakdown of the main topics covered if that helps:

OB2 - Complex Numbers, Geometry, Matrices, Further Differentiation, Further Integration

As for books, they're completely optional. Some lecturers will suggest books to supplement their course but it's by no means necessary to actually read them. I got through the entire year by just using lecture notes and the internet. Even if you were to look at some of the suggested reading, you could find most, if not all, of the books in the library.

Thank you for your help mate :-)

Reply 15
Thank you for your help mate :-)

can you please give me the suggested bibliography of the maths so i can be able to look some of these ???
Original post by gainz
can you please give me the suggested bibliography of the maths so i can be able to look some of these ???

Are you applying for Chemistry? Your maths units might be slightly different if not.

OB1
Croft et al., Foundation Maths, Pearson
Bostock and Chandler, Mathematics, The core course for A-level, Stanley Thornes
Bostock and Chandler, Further Pure Mathematics, Stanley Thornes

OB2
Croft et al., Mathematics for Engineers, Pearson

ON1
AC Croft and R Davison, Foundation Maths , Prentice Hall
Bostock, Chandler and Rourke, Further Pure Mathematics, Stanley Thornes
S Lipschitz, Set Theory and Related Topics, McGraw-Hill
James Franklin and Albert Daoud, Proof in Mathematics: An Introduction, Kew Books (Jan 2011)

OF2
Bostock and Chandler, Mathematics, Core Mathematics for A-level, Stanley Thornes
KA Stroud, Engineering Mathematics, Palgrave
MR Spiegel. Schaum's outline of theory and problems of probability and statistics, McGraw-Hill. Available electronically
MR Spiegel, Schaum's outline of theory and problems of probability and statistics , McGraw-Hill
JH McColl, Probability , Edward Arnold
Reply 17
Are you applying for Chemistry? Your maths units might be slightly different if not.

OB1
Croft et al., Foundation Maths, Pearson

OB2
Croft et al., Mathematics for Engineers, Pearson

ON1
AC Croft and R Davison, Foundation Maths , Prentice Hall
Bostock, Chandler and Rourke, Further Pure Mathematics, Stanley Thornes
S Lipschitz, Set Theory and Related Topics, McGraw-Hill
James Franklin and Albert Daoud, Proof in Mathematics: An Introduction, Kew Books (Jan 2011)

OF2
Bostock and Chandler, Mathematics, Core Mathematics for A-level, Stanley Thornes
MR Spiegel. Schaum's outline of theory and problems of probability and statistics, McGraw-Hill. Available electronically
MR Spiegel, Schaum's outline of theory and problems of probability and statistics , McGraw-Hill
JH McColl, Probability , Edward Arnold

No, I m applying for engineering but i think that maths are the same
Original post by gainz
No, I m applying for engineering but i think that maths are the same

Not quite, you have to do two extra maths units for engineering. Here are the recommended reading lists for them:

OD2
A Croft et. al., Foundation Maths, Pearson Education
Bostock and Chandler, Core Mathematics for A-level, Stanley Thornes
G James et. al., Modern Engineering Mathematics, Pearson
KR Coombes et. al., The Mathematica Primer, Cambridge University Press

OJ2
Bostock and Chandler, Applied Mathematics, Stanley Thornes
Reply 19
Not quite, you have to do two extra maths units for engineering. Here are the recommended reading lists for them:

OD2
A Croft et. al., Foundation Maths, Pearson Education
Bostock and Chandler, Core Mathematics for A-level, Stanley Thornes
G James et. al., Modern Engineering Mathematics, Pearson
KR Coombes et. al., The Mathematica Primer, Cambridge University Press

OJ2
Bostock and Chandler, Applied Mathematics, Stanley Thornes

thank you very mate, so i will have only the od2 and oj2 or all of the above and these 2 extra?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending