The Student Room Group

A2 in Further Maths and Pure Mathematics

Hi, I was just wondering is it possible to get an A2 in both Pure Maths and Further maths by sitting the exam for these modules: C1,C2,C3,C4,FP1,FP2,S1,M1,D1,M2?
i'm studying with the Edexcel exam board;
they say for a GCE in Pure Maths I need: C1-C4,FP1,FP2
but for a GCE in Further Maths I need: FP1, FP2/3 (but I want to do FP2), and S1,M1,D1,M2.. I was wondering if it's possible to get both of these A2s even though I'll be using the some of the same modules to get the qualification.
Original post by SerhatOrdek
Hi, I was just wondering is it possible to get an A2 in both Pure Maths and Further maths by sitting the exam for these modules: C1,C2,C3,C4,FP1,FP2,S1,M1,D1,M2?
but for a GCE in Further Maths I need: FP1, FP2/3 (but I want to do FP2), and S1,M1,D1,M2.. I was wondering if it's possible to get both of these A2s even though I'll be using the some of the same modules to get the qualification.

I was wondering the same thing but I'm under the impression that you can only get the further pure one if you don't do enough applied modules to get the full FM qualification but I could be wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I want to get two A2 qualifications in maths, because I want to keep my A level in physics as an As (I don't really enjoy it), but I don't want to be stuck sitting lots and lots of maths exams next year, i thought I could do the pure maths and further maths (since they are seperate qualifications) together as two seperate A2s. Does anyone know if that's possible given the modules I've listed?
I want to get two A2 qualifications in maths, because I want to keep my A level in physics as an As (I don't really enjoy it), but I don't want to be stuck sitting lots and lots of maths exams next year, i thought I could do the pure maths and further maths (since they are seperate qualifications) together as two seperate A2s. Does anyone know if that's possible given the modules I've listed?

Original post by samb1234
I was wondering the same thing but I'm under the impression that you can only get the further pure one if you don't do enough applied modules to get the full FM qualification but I could be wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile

Each module can only be used once for each qualification. I'll give you an example of how it can be broken up...

Maths: C1-C4 (compulsory), and any two from: S1, S2, M1, M2 (If you want M2 to count for this, you must do M1 - likewise for S1 and S2)

Further Maths: FP1 and FP2 and/or FP3 (compulsory), and then usually, whichever you didn't do for Maths, so either S2 and M2 or S1 and S2 or M1 and M2, and if you did both FP2 and FP3, then you'd need either M3 or S3, but if you did just FP2, you'd need both M3 and S3.

However, Edexcel recognise you are sitting both and so when they mark, they aim to give you the best possible grade in Maths, then the next best grade in Further Maths. This in effect means you have to sit:

C1-4
FP1
FP2

Out of the following, they will add to either Maths or Further Maths, to give you the best grades possible:
S1-4, M1-5, D1-2, FP3

FP3 only available for Further Maths!

In total, you'll need to have 12 modules - 6 are complusory (C1-4, FP1-2), and the other 6 can be chosen from the optional ones!

I hope that makes some kind of sense, someone else may explain it better!

If either of you would like a more personalised explanation on what you are taking, please do quote me, or drop me a PM and I'd be glad to help!
(edited 9 years ago)

You can't take both those A-levels with Edexcel. You'll only get one A-level from it. Take an extra two modules and you'll get two A-levels(maths and further maths).
Original post by mobbsy91

Out of the following, they will add to either Maths or Further Maths, to give you the best grades possible:
S1-4, M1-5, D1-3, FP3

D3?
Original post by morgan8002
D3?

Yeh, not sure why I put that - cheers!

Quick Reply

Latest